Acoustic Guitar - Reasonably Priced Query...

What's Hot
Hi folks, I've not had my eye on any acoustic guitars for the best part of 7 or 8 years, and due to moving abroad and fancying a change, I'm thinking off selling my Martin DC15E. 

I fancy a non cutaway, and don't play the acoustic enough to justify having two lying around. I can't say I use the same argument with electric guitars though!

I bought that Martin used, and it need a bit of work to get the neck right, so I don't expect any new guitar to not need some tweaks.

I'm not too precious about woods etc and am looking at something reasonably priced.

Funnily enough, one of the nicest guitars I've ever played apart from a Gibson hummingbird, was a bog standard Big Baby Taylor, so I'm thinking of one of these. Maybe this would be considered a step down compared to what I'm looking to sell but at least I'd have peace of mind that if it were damaged etc, it would always be replaceable. The one I played just felt great.

Other options are the Martin DRS1, OOO10E, Taylor 110e. I know they're a good bit of a step up from the Big Baby Taylor but would be in or around the price point. A step sideways if you will....

I just listened to some demos on Thomann to get a rough idea, and the Martin DRS or Taylor 110 sounded the best, but it's hard to call with those sound demos at times...

Other options are Seagull (any I've ever played have been decent) and Yamaha.

Thoughs? Opinions? Advice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I played a martin dreadnought jr 15/16 size not tiny a while ago and was really impressed.  About £700 new I think - if that's within your budget.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    munckee said:
    I played a martin dreadnought jr 15/16 size not tiny a while ago and was really impressed.  About £700 new I think - if that's within your budget.
    I'd say it would. I had not thought of this.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    I used to have a Taylor 110... loved it, it was a great guitar, but it definitely had "the Taylor sound" in spades. Sold it because what I really wanted was a 12-fret, but it was a damn good guitar for the price.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    The Tanglewood Sundance acoustics are fantastic, mines an X15 NS and is a wonderful guitar. Solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, bone nut and saddles and maple binding. It's dreadnought sized and plays and sounds great. It also comes with a hard case if that helps, all for £650, a bargain for what you get.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    In terms of Seagull, the Seagull S6 Original would also tick a lot of boxes. Not sure about the coastline or maritime series.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534

I wonder if the Loweden Sheeran models, when in general circulation, might be just the ticket? Having only ever strummed a couple of Lowdens in GuitarGuitar, I couldn't rate them highly enough, and whilst Ed's models may not be in quite the same league, they are unlikely to be duds.

Adam

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2019
    @zepp76 yep, I had a Tanglewood before too, and it was a solid guitar. My particular one just didn't have what I was looking for. Can't fault it for build quality though. I've played some really good Tanglewoods. 

Are the Sheeran guitars available to buy? The S01 would be lovely to try but not sure they'd be on my radar to be honest.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    Eastman, Blueridge and Alvarez do all solid wood models in the £500- £800 range. Dreds and OMs. Worth a look.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534

Im not sure if the Sheeran models are available yet. Andertons, at least, have them to pre-order -

https://www.andertons.co.uk/sheeran-by-lowden-s-01-acoustic-guitar-w-walnut-back-and-sides-cedar-top

Adam

• RockerRocker Frets: 4945
    Sigma.  Martin style guitars for very little money.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited April 2019
    You gotta have Faith!
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So much choice! I'm going to try and narrow it down though just to save me the hassle!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    The Sigma call is a good one, they do Martin style well because they were owned by them for a while, but they also do other styles and are well regarded.
    There are a good selection of Furch (Stonebridge) guitars too from mid priced and upwards that represent fantastic value.

I also sea Seagull do some eco friendly models. Nice.
    I think I am narrowing it down to a Seagull or Taylor. (Big Baby Taylor, or 110e) or a basic Seagull SG electro non cutaway.
    I can see that all I have mentioned bar the big baby taylor are for sale used near me. Ones I didn't consider were the Tanglewood TW73 or the Tanglewood X70. The X70 seems to have really good specs.
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Seagulls sometimes have big ass wide nuts on some models, varys from range to range.
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    I have a nice ibanez Om acoustic with a soft V neck. Crazy easy to play. Torrefied mahogany top. Worth a shout too
    On second thoughts, I'd rule out the wide neck Seagull and the Parlor Tanglewood! :) I may also have to buy online as I'll be abroad.... back to the Big Baby Taylor! 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Buy a Yamaha LL and don’t look back. There’s a used one on here for no money 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom