112.8mph Lucky Poos Needed

What's Hot
RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
edited November 2023 in Off Topic tFB Trader
About this time last year, I was invited on a track day by a friend who owned a mk1 MX5 that had been stripped out and fitted with the standard level of performance upgrades (coilovers, SS exhaust, performance air filter etc). We had a great day and went ahead and booked some more over the Summer with no real plans to do anything but that. Lots of fun driving Silverstone, Donington Park etc and seeing how good/or bad we really were!

This was fine until we went to a 750MC meeting at Silverstone to watch some club racing and see how things are done at that level. After seeing how close and frantic the racing was we devised a plan over a burger and chips to go racing ourselves. We duly booked and passed our ARDS test and became proud holders of National B race licenses.

Then the real work began, reading through MSA (now Motorsport UK) regulations to see what would be required to turn the MX5 into a race car that would pass scrutineering. We looked at various championships and found a series called Roadsports, run by the 750MC. The races are 45mins+1lap with a mandatory pitstop, so crucially Nick and I could share the car and costs. Performance mods/upgrades are pretty much free. The grid is split into four classes, based on power/weight ratio - https://www.750mc.co.uk/formulae/roadsports.htm

A - Super GT - 300bhp/tonne
B - GT - 240bhp/tonne
C - Supersport - 180bhp/tonne
D - Sport - 145bhp/tonne

We'll be running in Class D, as our MX5 only puts out 115.8bhp and weights 930kgs without driver (124.5bhp/tonne!!)

So, the build began...

Custom-fab roll cage built to regs including door bars (we found a local motorsport business to make/fit this for us). They also welded in the correct seat/harness mounts as req. by the regs.

Then we painted it black (rattle cans of course)

Swapped out the K&N cone air filter for a NACA duct that sits in the headlight assembly and runs a cold air feed straight into a stock airbox with a performance panel filter

Most of the work req. is for safety, so had to disengage the keyed ignition and move everything to a switch panel on the centre console. An electrical cut-off and fire ext. system was also installed at the same time

Tombstone panel in place with switches and push-button start

The completed car at the official 750MC test day at Donington Park

Had to get the car Dyno'd and weighed

115.8bhp flywheel and 141.5Nm torque, careful now

...and out on track

Why am I asking for lucky poos? Well, our first race is this Sunday 14th April at Brands Hatch and we need all of the help we can get.

The entry forms show only two other cars in our class (most seem to run in class C, 35 car grid), a mk2 Golf GTi and a BMW Compact. This means we'll get on the class podium if we finish the race...seems a good enough target

Nick is starting the race and I'll be bringing it home, fingers and nuts crossed.

If anyone fancies coming down to watch, our race is at 3:30 pm but there's racing all day long. Tickets on the gate are £16.

If you can't make it, you can follow the live timing online:

We've entered 7 races this year, will keep this thread updated with progress
*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
Rift Amplification
Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
Brackley, Northamptonshire
www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 20reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    RiftAmps said:
    We've entered 7 races this year, will keep this thread updated with progress :)
    I have every confidence that you will make a small fortune ... out of a large fortune. ;)
    Be seeing you.
    12reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Just finish my amp & cab first !!!!! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Jalapeno said:
    Just finish my amp & cab first !!!!! ;)
    And mine ;) , seriously though, good luck and happy cadence braking 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    Love it! 

Let me know if you end up at Snetterton at any point - my family are all up that way (sis has a business half a mile from the circuit) and my Dad is a keen motorsportist :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    Love it! 

Let me know if you end up at Snetterton at any point - my family are all up that way (sis has a business half a mile from the circuit) and my Dad is a keen motorsportist :)
    We have a double-header 12th/13th October at Snetterton 300 :)
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11494
    tFB Trader
    Shouldn't there be Rift Amps sponsors labels on the car?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    RiftAmps said:
    Love it! 

We have a double-header 12th/13th October at Snetterton 300 :)
    Great! I'll let them know :)

I'd try and get over there at the same time but we're off to Japan the following week so it's very unlikely, sadly!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Awesome work.

Good luck!
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    hmmm looks like a UK spec 1600 :)
    Is it still running the standard brakes? Easy upgrade is to get the caliper carriers from an 1800, then the 1800 discs will fit.
    Have fun!
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    tFB Trader
    FX_Munkee said:
    hmmm looks like a UK spec 1600 :)
    Is it still running the standard brakes? Easy upgrade is to get the caliper carriers from an 1800, then the 1800 discs will fit.
    Have fun!
    We run standard Brembo discs with cooling ducts, and race spec pads. NA8 brake upgrade planned over the summer once we've used up our stock of NA6 stuff.

Along with a race spec engine that I'm building, we've got a host of other stuff we need to get done to get us closer to the class bhp/tonne limit.

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Class D rather than Class A or A/B?

:)
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Are you allowed a custom ECU? That helps a lot with a naturally aspirated MX-5 engine. You can ditch the Flappy MAF which really helps. Also the NACA duct is ok but you can get high pressure air from in front of the windscreen, need to cut a hole in the firewall though see http://mx5driver.com/thread/6151/randall-cowl-intake-na-nb

And now I'll stop waffling/explaining egg sucking techniques.

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    tFB Trader
    FX_Munkee said:
    Are you allowed a custom ECU? That helps a lot with a naturally aspirated MX-5 engine. You can ditch the Flappy MAF which really helps. Also the NACA duct is ok but you can get high pressure air from in front of the windscreen, need to cut a hole in the firewall though see http://mx5driver.com/thread/6151/randall-cowl-intake-na-nb

And now I'll stop waffling/explaining egg sucking techniques.

Yeah, we can run pretty much what we want, unlike the MX5 cup which is massively restricted (basically stock). The engine I'm building has a .25 overbore with forged pistons/rods, and a super aggressive set of cams. We'll run it all with a ME221 tuned for 14.5:1 AFR throughout the rev range/tp.

On the longer Club Enduro races (2-3 hours), we need to achieve 1 hour of running from a full tank so performance gains are limited by fuel consumption/range.

The NACA duct is pretty standard for most MX5 racers and most of the teams running tuned setups agree that is the best way to go unless opting for ITBs. Would have to check the regs about maximum hole sizes in the firewall but I know they don't like it other than for fire suppression systems etc.

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    Good luck!

I dream of doing something similar, have done quite a few trackdays but time and space constraints mean racing is out of the question sadly. I hope you enjoy it!

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I had an MX5 years ago, great little car and great to dive.  I envy you and hope you have a fantastic time.  Keep us all informed of your progress and good luck.

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited April 2019
    That looks absolutely awesome. I used to race karts and have always wanted to do exactly what you are doing now.
    My old teammate and I have a deal that if either of us win the lottery we will fund the other one through a season's racing.
    Just need to win the lottery now.

I once had a chat with Tom Chilton about Brands. He said if you have someone up your chuff coming onto the pit straight the trick to not being passed at Paddock is to lift off as you come out of Clark curve. Then the guy behind will lift off, brake or even tap you, at which point you are back on the power and already pulling away from him. A little risky / dirty but then I guess that is the BTCC. Probably not a good idea to try it on your first outing.

Best of luck!
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Where’s the speakers and strings?
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    PhilW1 said:
    Where’s the speakers and strings?
    No sat nav? Not even a phat sound system.....
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    This is amazing. I love the lower level motorsports, os much more interesting then things like F1!
    tFB Trader
    Got to Brands at 7am, all signed on, just waiting for scrutineering
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk