IR thread

What's Hot
PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
Ive been fiddling about with IRs on my helix recently but I'm wondering if I'm a bit out of date

I ahve the original sneap set, guitar hacks, the ones that came with recabinet 4 and a few other odds and ends but its all a number of years old.

Has IR quality moved on? Should I be looking at picking up some OwnHammer for example? 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Defo some Ownhammer. The Diezel cab they do is mega. I've got both of the Heavy Hitters collections and they're pretty much my go to.

Bye!

• kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1143
    edited April 2019
    Ownhammer IR’s seem to sound more produced to me. I really like the Celestion IR’s, they sound more raw for want of a better word. Some people think they are bright but they just sound more familiar to me as a guitarist who’s mic’d up cabs for 15+ years.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ownhammer for me. They’ve always sounded like what I’d expect from any cab I’ve owned, and they’re good value.

Heavy Hitters packs are great, as are the Mesa cab IRs for heavy stuff which I figure will be your goal 
  • Celestion are good too, just a different vibe.  It all comes down to the taste of the person creating the packs to begin with.
  • I used to love Redwirez, but they've not updated their IRs for years and as such are shorter in length than most modern IRs. So as a result, I'm with @guitarfishbay in saying that Ownhammer and Celestion are the best around.

I'm about to take delivery of the new Two Notes Torpedo CAB M, and I'm hopeful that the sims on that are good, they certainly sound good in demo's I've heard online...if they're not, then I'll be loading up some Ownhammer Mesa IRs! :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1276
    Ownhammer IR’s seem to sound more produced to me. I really like the Celestion IR’s, they sound more raw for want of a better word. Some people think they are bright but they just sound more familiar to me as a guitarist who’s mic’d up cabs for 15+ years.

That has been exactly my experience with Ownhammer and Celestion IRs. The OHs are definitely more processed/polished, which may or may not be a good thing. The Celestions are truer to what you would expect a mic or mics in front of an amp to sound like coming back over the monitors in the studio
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Really love the Ownhammer Bogner 2x12 pack. Also have the Alnico pack for an alternative. I made the decision that I'd just get a limited selection and properly get to know them, because I'd rather have a choice of, say, 10 IRs where the best one for the situation is 90% perfect than 100 IRs where one of them is 93% perfect. Life's too short.
  • I got the OH heavy hitters. spent some time going through them. found one I liked. A/B'd it with the same patch, with the Helix  cab/mic I had adjusted to taste. sounded almost the same. gives you more options I suppose but you can bog yourself down going through them all just to come back to something that's similar to what you already like. YMMV
  • I use Ownhammer and Celestion.

I load Helix Native up with the 57 and 121 mic variants from the ownhammer quick start folder and blend them depending on what I'm needing. I use similar IR's from celestion in the same way.

I currently have loaded

Ownhammer-

1x12 fender deluxe 
    4x10 super
    2 x12 blue
    4x12 greenback
    4x12 75
    4x12 v30 mesa 

Celestion -

1x12 v30
    2x12 v30
    4x12 v30

Pretty much feel im covered for any recording needs and isn't too bloated. Live I only use one or two

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Anyone got a feel for how much difference I might notice over my OG IRs?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    I have the Ownhammer Basketweave GNR IRs, as well as the Celestion Creambacks.

The Ownhammers sound great to me and are step up from the others that I've tried (Celestions, Line 6 Allure pack, various freebies and samplers from the usual supects).

The only thing to watch is that there are nearly 9000 speaker / mic combinations in the pack that I bought. It's mind numbing and you need to be happy to just use the first decent ones you find. Otherwise you might never be seen again. Luckily Ownhammer seem to make this pretty easy.