Sorted, Thank you all - A good budget player for a 10 year old?

What's Hot
dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
edited April 2019 in Acoustics
I’ve been asked to help a fabulous kid I know get his first full sized guitar. His folks, in standard style, don’t have a lot to spend but don’t want to waste money getting something that’s not going to be worthwhile. 

I’ve not had an acoustic for years and I have no idea at what price the playable stuff starts at now. 

His influences are strung between worship music and Ed Sheeran and all that means to me is that it’s going to be an electro acoustic. 

The plan is to take a trip to PMT in Bristol and put as many guitars in his hand that fit the budget. If any of you can help educate me a little or tell me how your purchases have worked out, that’d be a big help. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A lot depends on budget.
    Vintage make some nice guitars for not too many pennies. 
    depending on budget I’d look at a v300- slightly smaller body than a dread & might be more manageable for a 10year old. I’m pretty sure there’s an electro version. 
    If the money is there a Brett signature is lovely (again smaller body & electro, comes with a custom fitted case too IIRC). 
    Yamaha acoustics are reliable, but I don’t like the sound of them unless they’re plugged in- they often feel a bit plasticy too. I think it’s the poly they use, but I like an acoustic to feel like a wooden box full of air..
    Tanglewood are usually decent too...
    More expensive are Martin with the LX1 (Sheeran model is based on this) I don’t know if Sigma do a lower price copy.

as you rightly say, take him to a shop & wait to find the right one. 

I play a Faith Naked Mercury- it’s lovely, but the finish is VERY thin & shows EVERY bump... probably not ideal for a 10year old! 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    You can get a lightly used Steinberger Spirit for £200ish used. That’s what I would recommend. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18376
    A lot depends on budget.
    Vintage make some nice guitars for not too many pennies. 
    depending on budget I’d look at a v300- slightly smaller body than a dread & might be more manageable for a 10year old. I’m pretty sure there’s an electro version. 
    If the money is there a Brett signature is lovely (again smaller body & electro, comes with a custom fitted case too IIRC). 
    Yamaha acoustics are reliable, but I don’t like the sound of them unless they’re plugged in- they often feel a bit plasticy too. I think it’s the poly they use, but I like an acoustic to feel like a wooden box full of air..
    Tanglewood are usually decent too...
    More expensive are Martin with the LX1 (Sheeran model is based on this) I don’t know if Sigma do a lower price copy.

as you rightly say, take him to a shop & wait to find the right one. 

I play a Faith Naked Mercury- it’s lovely, but the finish is VERY thin & shows EVERY bump... probably not ideal for a 10year old! 
    Hard to disagree with such a concise summation. The Vintage v300 is a very fine cheap starter/instrument. But having tried both, I reckon the V300MH is a far better sounding guitar for the money ( still not a lot). Don't get hung up on 'name' instruments, try to learn on the way.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    I had a Vintage V300.  Sounded crap, dead, boring, lifeless.  I've also had a Sigma, equally dull - I gave it away.  Played a few Faith's, all without exception excellent.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    For the actual 'guitar' part it's fairly hard to go wrong these days if you pick something you like the sound and feel of and which is not ridiculously flashy-looking (so the money has gone into that rather than build quality).

If it's an electro-acoustic you need, the electric bit is important. Try to get one with a Fishman or LR Baggs system - both companies make basic systems that are fitted to many surprisingly low-priced guitars. It makes a much bigger difference to the amplified sound than you may realise or be able to tell when you're just trying a guitar in a shop. The main exceptions would be Takamine and Yamaha who make their own decent systems.

Speaking as a repairer, in particular avoid B-Band - they sound good but are unreliable in my experience, as are Taylor's own-brand systems - surprising given their 'pro' status - and neither are compatible with any other system so you can't just replace individual parts. Repairing or replacing an electro-acoustic system is usually a lot more of a pain than with a conventional electric guitar, even for the more standard ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

TheMarlin said:
    I had a Vintage V300.  Sounded crap, dead, boring, lifeless.  I've also had a Sigma, equally dull - I gave it away.  Played a few Faith's, all without exception excellent.
    "Sounded crap, dead, boring, lifeless"  Shame that, but it does happen. Particularly when dealing with the infinite variables inherent in natural materials like wood. I have had Gibson's & other big name guitars that your words equally applied to. On the plus side, if every statement made about guitars were facts & not just opinions, we wouldn't have anything to chat about  ;) 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    Thank you all so far. Reading and doing a little research as you all chip in. 
    I can definitely say that I’ve always loved the Faiths I’ve tried and had a Mercury that was amazing. Probably going to be a bit over budget though. I suspect that as he’s coming from a 3/4 size nylon string with action about a half inch off the board, most of the options are going to feel pretty smooth. I’d like to try and help him make a choice that will still feel good in two, three or more years time  
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited April 2019
    TheMarlin said:
    That's a shame about the Vintage V300, I have the V300MH (all mahogany) and it's a great little guitar especially for that old bluesy sound (if that's your thing). I certainly have no complaints.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    +1 for Tanglewood as a good value/sound option. 
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    I bought a used (but unplayed) Vintage V300 for a niece only 2 weeks ago. Lovely tone.

Id put your budget towards the guitar rather than an electro acoustic. You can always add a pickup later if he takes to it
    Freshman was also a good budget brand.

You could do a ‘local search’ on gumtree, or eBay as well.
    I think there are probably quite a few unplayed ‘present guitars’ out there..!
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Are they insistent on it being brand new? The money would go so much further buying something like a used faith which wouldn’t be a lot more money than something half as good but new. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    If you are able to spend the time helping, then looking at local used sale items will as @BRISTOL86 says, afford more for your money. Of course if you are miles from a large connerbation, luck plays a big part in the timing of stuff being available.
    Guide the youngster but let them 'decide' on the guitar, if they love it they will play it more. Of course if you love a particular instrument and point out it'svirtues, that helps them want to love it too. If they are swayed by an all black finish 'Kay' guitar, you might have your work cut out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @dazzajl   Seems to me that you are doing a good deed for a less than privileged, potential future fretboard member. 
    If you get caught up in a guitar love vs cash situation, please post PayPal details here (if possible) & I'll be good for a contribution. Seems a lot of us doing a little to help, could have a huge positive outcome.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    I forgot to say earlier that despite what I said about electro-acoustics, in my opinion it's still better to avoid them entirely - not only can the onboard systems be unreliable, but they usually cannot be easily upgraded or replaced if they become obsolete, even if they don't fail.

In my opinion it's still better to get the best acoustic guitar you can, and fit a simple aftermarket pickup into it then use an outboard preamp - either a plain undersaddle transducer if the preamp is something like a Fishman Aura that models real acoustics (these are designed to work best with the direct signal from a UST), or an internal contact pickup system like a K&K or a Baggs iBeam if it's a simpler analogue preamp. This also has the advantage that you can stagger the cost, as well as usually getting a better guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    ICBM said:
    I forgot to say earlier that despite what I said about electro-acoustics, in my opinion it's still better to avoid them entirely - not only can the onboard systems be unreliable, but they usually cannot be easily upgraded or replaced if they become obsolete, even if they don't fail.

In my opinion it's still better to get the best acoustic guitar you can, and fit a simple aftermarket pickup into it then use an outboard preamp - either a plain undersaddle transducer if the preamp is something like a Fishman Aura that models real acoustics (these are designed to work best with the direct signal from a UST), or an internal contact pickup system like a K&K or a Baggs iBeam if it's a simpler analogue preamp. This also has the advantage that you can stagger the cost, as well as usually getting a better guitar.
    The JJB 330 is supposed to be very good, like a budget K&K.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Seems to me the main focus would be to get him to choose the guitar he likes the best, with some gentle steering in the right direction. Almost every acoustic you try these days plays decently but worth checking the action is ok for him. 

If he chooses 'the one' he's far more likely to play it than something used he's been handed. That would be my focus. 

I'd agree with @ICBM about pickups, you can get one fitted afterwards so don't worry too much about that if he goes for a non electro. 
    Thank you again all,

I completely agree that more could be had going used for less cash. I think in these cases there is more value than usual in the trip to the big shop. A mixture of the treat for the young man because he’s put in the work with the little starter guitar he was bought. The chance to try several options side by side and of course, hopefully, more emotional attachment going forwards because he’s picked it from many.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

@dazzajl   Seems to me that you are doing a good deed for a less than privileged, potential future fretboard member. 
    If you get caught up in a guitar love vs cash situation, please post PayPal details here (if possible) & I'll be good for a contribution. Seems a lot of us doing a little to help, could have a huge positive outcome.
    This is exactly why I love the community here. A kindness that is displayed so often to people we haven’t met yet. 

I would describe them as an ordinary family like most of us, that want to make sure their son gets something that is a worthwhile purchase while not spending many many hundreds of pounds on a guitar he might stop playing in a year. 

Your offer is massively appreciated sir <3  
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    edited April 2019
    I can't really envisage a 10 year old needing an electro-acoustic. At the lower budgets they're not going to be good and the money is far better spent on the guitar. It's tempting to say go second-hand but a 10 year old could well put a lot of value in the guitar being new. I think your idea of just putting lots of guitars in his hand is the best one. I don't know how big PMT Bristol is but I doubt it would take long to try every guitar in budget. I'd look at the Washburns - surprisingly good at the lower end from memory.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    I was going to suggest Washburn too.  Decent, competent instruments at the lower end.  Surely buying used is the way to go for a far better instrument for the money.