Birthday present ideas

What's Hot
Good morning.  
I would appreciate if you can help me with present ideas for my nephew who is having hes 14 th birthday very soon. He's in love with his  accosting guitar ( hes on level 7) plays it night and day and takes it everywhere with him.  
My knowledge is very limited if it comes to guitars ect & don't want to ask my sister and spoil surprise.  

My original thought was buying him  book about world best guitar player. When i googled there is so many different books and my head is spinning just looking the titles.

And some of them are may not be suitable for 14 year - don't want to upset my sister with wrong book :-
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    What styles is he into?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Well, if it's any use I just bought my other half a Golden Doodle. A Marshall Stack would make less noise and mess.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LutriciaLutricia Frets: 0
    @Andy79 if i am honest i dont know. I have to ask my sister :-) He's talented young 13 y old boy. What amazed me most was the fact that my sister told me that they driving to Scotland for half term and pretty much only thing my nephew backed ( willingly ;) ) for trip was he's acoustic guitar. Was thinking that good book would inspire him even more :-) 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    You never know with presents. Some kids just aren't into books that much. Personally I have never liked the surprise thing with presents. I prefer to ask what people want and I prefer them to ask me what I want. 
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited April 2019
    It’s not a book, but How about a soundhole tuner? 
    Fit and forget (until you need to change the battery)- he’ll always be able to tune his guitar.
     I have one on my acoustic & it’s one of the best guitar gadgets I’ve ever bought. 

https://youtu.be/4A38QWftqYM
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited April 2019
    I'd be leaning towards cash and tell him to spend it on something musical. I know it feels less thoughtful but the drawers of guitarists worldwide are stuffed with "the perfect gift for the guitarist" that nobody really wants or needs, and the world of guitar is so broad that a book stands way more chance of being of no interest to him than it does of being of interest....

Plus you can demonstrate how thoughtful you've been by telling him that you even registered with a guitar forum to find out what to get him :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    A personalised guitar strap would make a nice gift. Music books are very hard without knowing what he’s into style wise and where in his development he is. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 255
    If it’s still available how about “The Acoustic Guitar Bible “ by Eric Roche.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haz478Haz478 Frets: 64
    Second vote for the acoustic guitar bible..excellent book, dip in and out.

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 2958
    How about something that he might not have considered, like a book on becoming a luthier? He'll be at that age now where he's starting to think careers when leaving school and a skill based around his undoubted talent and enjoyment could help him with his subject choices. 

How good would it be for him to make his own guitar and maybe combine that with a woodworking qualification at school?

I bet he'd love it, from what you written he 'seems' like the kind of kid who can become particularly good at something if he enjoys doing it.  
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    Just get him an autobiography from Aerosmith or GnR so he can see all the benefits in store if he keeps practicing!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkb said:
    Just get him an autobiography from Aerosmith or GnR so he can see all the benefits in store if he keeps practicing!!
    Watching the first 2mins of "The Dirt" would certainly be an educational experience. 
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 227
    Good shout on a guitar bible or a nice strap I recommend "AIR Straps" and you can personalise a messege on one also.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Don't buy a book. Too hit and miss. A tuner like this is perfect:

tc electronic 966112001 Unitune Clip https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075YPW2K7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_klpVCbYE5TW8F
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    If he doesn't already have one, a good quality capo would be useful.