SORTED - Looking for Vox 'chime'

What's Hot

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I owned an AC4 and it wasn't good. I think the hand wired ones are a lot better but they are expensive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    There are two types of AC4 iirc, one with vol, tone and gain, and one with top boost type bass and treble controls. I’m guessing that the top boost gets closer to the typical Vox sound.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    For home use, perhaps the well regarded models in the Vox Handbag?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    I owned two original 1960s AC4s - which are hand wired and have EF86s - and they weren’t good either! They look pretty, that’s about it... but the modern ones are different circuits.

The AC4TV is the one with volume, tone and a built-in attenuator - it sounds muddy and un-Vox-like. Not quite as bad with very bright single coils, but really not good. The AC4C1 has the Top Boost controls and master volume - much better. It also now comes in a 12” speaker version, but I haven’t seen one and I don’t know if the cabinet is deep enough to take a Blue.

The AC10 also unfortunately can’t take an Alnico speaker, there isn’t enough clearance between the magnet and the power valves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DominicDominic Frets: 16008
    pm sent
  • wwwwww Frets: 72
    Laney L5T-112? I recently bought one of the older models (pre-digital reverb) and it's phenomenal. I think I paid just over £300 too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    Quite a few bands I've recorded have brought modern AC15s along and I have never liked them anything like as much as an AC30, they've mostly sounded a bit muddy and uninteresting. I always wonder if some of the AC30 'chime' comes from having two speakers.
    I had an AC15TBX and I never really liked it either. Not at all like an AC30.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Ef86 is overrated IMO. I never gor it to break up musically in my matchless build. Was always too raspy until I replaced it with a 12ax7.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Stuckfast said:
    Quite a few bands I've recorded have brought modern AC15s along and I have never liked them anything like as much as an AC30, they've mostly sounded a bit muddy and uninteresting. I always wonder if some of the AC30 'chime' comes from having two speakers.
    Most of the circuit is the same. I mean, I agree with you totally, but it does mean the differences can be narrowed down - Parallel EL84s on each side of the (bigger) output transformer? Physical cab size meaning different resonant frequency/ midrange phasing from the sound coming out the open back? Two speakers rather than one? All of the above?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    ICBM said:
    I owned two original 1960s AC4s - which are hand wired and have EF86s - and they weren’t good either! They look pretty, that’s about it... but the modern ones are different circuits.

The AC4TV is the one with volume, tone and a built-in attenuator - it sounds muddy and un-Vox-like. Not quite as bad with very bright single coils, but really not good. The AC4C1 has the Top Boost controls and master volume - much better. It also now comes in a 12” speaker version, but I haven’t seen one and I don’t know if the cabinet is deep enough to take a Blue.

The AC10 also unfortunately can’t take an Alnico speaker, there isn’t enough clearance between the magnet and the power valves.

eh? I had an original AC10 twin with Alnicos, it was lovely

I'm assuming you mean the current model AC10?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I had an AC15TBX and I never really liked it either. Not at all like an AC30.
    same here
    Ef86 is overrated IMO. I never gor it to break up musically in my matchless build. Was always too raspy until I replaced it with a 12ax7.

sacrilege

Then again, I use them on the edge of breakup, both in AC15 and DC30
    edited April 2019
    I don’t like them either. They sound somewhere between bland and shit depending on how hard they’re being driven... a 12AX7 is miles better.

ToneControl said:

eh? I had an original AC10 twin with Alnicos, it was lovely

I'm assuming you mean the current model AC10?
    Yes.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749

I find it's quite sensitive to pickups and pedals. With singles or P90s and a little clean boost it's really really nice. But gets pretty meh pretty quickly with humbuckers and/or drive pedals
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CastroCastro Frets: 509
    Thanks to you all for your input so far.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    How about a nice amp that can go a bit Fendery, Marshally or Voxy? Dr Z Maz 18 NR amp? Great versatile range of tones.

Did I mention I'm selling one :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96uXxXXY1yw

;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Ac15 at low volume has loads of chime. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CastroCastro Frets: 509
    Sorted now - decided to go the Vox route.
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Cool, what did ye go for?