10 Questions We Ask Everyone

What's Hot

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?
    13/14 Hohner classical guitar. I ended up painting it Green on the front and back and blue on the sides. 

2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save? 
    Thinline Jap Jaguar. Its so pretty

3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own? 
    1983 (same age as me) Ibanez Destroyer 2

4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire? 
    Starcaster

5: What strings do you use? 
    D'Addario

6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be? 
    I'd sing more

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage? 
    Tuning up and being asked if I am single :-) (last gig anyway)

8: ...And five minutes after? 
    Reocvering and drinking

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage? 
    Blown amp, 

10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar? 
    in your mid 20s you will stop playing guitar for 2 - 3 years. Don't do it. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    An old nylon strung that my mum bought in America, she got it in the 60s/70s, I got it in the 80s (once born) and promptly destroyed it with stickers.

Gibson es339

1996 Fender Jazz

Funds permitting; a HJ Williams Evo Pro. Less funds; a used Rasmus.

D'Addario 12s.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    My tone on an old ep. It sounded odd in the room on the day so I completely fucked about with the eq, turns out my ears were wrong that day.

Watching the band before, if no band then maybe taking a piss.

Watching the band after, if no band then sleeping on a nice comfy floor.

Kicking off after a 5 hour drive because my gear wasn't working. Turned out you need to put the jack INTO your guitar for it to work. Strange that.

Don't obsess. It'll only lead to horrific credit card bills in later life. Play more golf or something.....erm....
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    edited August 2013
    1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it Some Spanish thing, my mum bought back in late sixties for me.awfull, stuck fablon sunflowers on it ! 2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save? My sigma DR28H 3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own? As above. 4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire? A resonator of some sort. 5: What strings do you use? Earnie ball on electrics, 10-46 standard, 13-42 open G, Martin 13's for acoustic 6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be? Mainly Drums ! 7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage? Tuning my guitar, or still sound checking ! 8: ...And five minutes after? Talking to punters. 9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage? Playing Abercarn rugby club, and doing a Jason Donovan song to a couple of hundred bikers was quite memorable ! 10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar? Learn to sing.
  • 1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?
    A Yamaha "Free Art" RGX121FP. I'd had others to share and on permanent loan previously. But this one was mine.

I couldn't possibly condone such action. I must urge everyone, on discovering a fire in their home, get (everyone) out, stay out, get the fire service out.

My 1996 Gibson SG Special

A resonator of some sort for bottleneck blues noodling

Acoustic: Elixir nanoweb 12s. Electric: Ernie Ball Skinny top, heavy bottom.

To get my finger out and start doing some

Shitting a brick

Talking 10 to the dozen, wishing I could do it all again!

In 1994 being forced into playing a song (Kid Ego) I didn't know all the way through and floundering to a halt after a couple of verses.

Get some lessons early doors. 

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited August 2013
    1977, punk is in full bloom, I get a Columbus SG.  This is the secret weapon which will get me girls.  It works!

Gibson Flying V.  Got it second-hand in 1980.  Still gig it occasionally.

That 1979 Gibson Flying V.  

Something pointy, like a high-end Ibanez RG.  Or a Jackson, never had one of those.  Maybe something with active pick ups, never had those either.

D'Addario 9s on the RGS , 9-10s on everything else, 10s on the Jazzmaster

Alcohol.

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go on stage?
    Nothing much, probably chatting to the bass player.

Collecting wages, breaking gear down, and heading home!

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you on stage?
    A surreal loop where the set list and my head said “play Blink 182” but my hands kept on playing the riff to “Burn” by Deep Purple.  

You know when you were around Gillzie's in 1979, and you both had the broken legs, and he put on that album and said, “Listen to this...”  Well if only you could have felt that it was a great chance to learn how to do that and get excited by playing, instead of becoming overwhelmed and giving up learning for 20 years or more cos you believed you could never be that good so it wasn't worth trying. 

[Even now it's impossible to convey how it felt to hear EVH playing “Eruption” for the first time.]

• kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156

1: First guitar - the usual cheap as fook strat copy with horrible action.  Mine was a black CSL blazer with rosewood neck.  To me it was identical to the one Hendrix played at Monterey.  It was 1988 and I was 13.

2: 1980 Ibanez Blazer.  Not valuable but its the best ash bodied maple necked strat I've played.  Light as a feather and lovely neck.

3: 1975 CMI Les Paul copy.  A gift from a friend at work who had it in his loft for years.  It has some early Super Distortions in it and rocks like a goodun.  The neck is like half a baseball bat.  The fit and finish are (ahem) questionable.

4: Something Jooky and one of the small bodied all mahogany Guild acoustics to acknowledge I'm getting old.

5: Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys

6: I wish I was / could be more assertive over my guitar sound in the mix.

7: Watching / supporting other bands, forgetting why I'm there and getting a bit tipsy.

8: Trying not to be a dick

9: Blown amp before I'd played a note.  Next bands guitarist still loaned me his custom Cornell for our set. Top Bloke

10: Instead of trying to play as fast as Paul Gilbert, try to play as well as him!

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited August 2013
    [Even now it's impossible to convey how it felt to hear EVH playing “Eruption” for the first time.][/quote]
    I get this completely Grunfeld and at the time, wondered how the hell it was played. At least now there's less or probably no mystery in how something's played/achieved. It's just whether you can play it :)
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited August 2013

- Black Squier Affinity Strat in 2000.

- Whatever is closest!

- 1994 Patrick Eggle Milan IV bass.

- Wireless

- D'Addarios.  10-46 on electric, 12-53 on Acoustics, 45-105 bass

- Probably bass guitar tone.

- Making sure everyone is in tune and that we're ready to go!

- Packing away.

- Going through drum skins.

- Stop worrying about trying to play shred licks and focus on songwriting.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    jaygtr said:

Playing with a drum machine when the drummer was ill, we should have just cancelled .

Done that too - on purpose as the band had no drummer at the time. Never again.

big band gig - the arsehole of a band leader knew my gf and her family were in the audience, so in the big "introduce the band" section of Mack the Knife he gets to me, shushes the band and asks "Where's [failed_astronauts'] girlfriend then?" when she sheepishly raises her hand, he looks at her, pauses for a beat and goes "Bloody hell mate, she's alright!" I could've died, and almost did when I got home and got an ear full from the (now ex-) gf

I would have packed up my gear and left the band before the end of the song. Seriously. Leave the arsehole to explain to the audience why the rest of the gig was going to be a bit dull.

9. What's the worst thing that's happened to you on stage?
    Other than booting a solo, nothing really bad happened on any of the four times I've taken the 'stage'. The worst thing that's ever happened to me in relation to live playing was this year when I did a Rock Experience course at The Stables at Milton Keynes. Went every week for six weeks, every time I suggested something, someone else suggested a different way and they all went with that instead. Learned 7 songs I wasn't really fussed about, not one of my suggestions made it through. Fair enough, it's not that important, so I just went with it. Then on the last day, we were getting ready to go onstage in a couple of hours in front of a proper audience when the band spotted that a kid from another band who'd been stood up by the rest of his band was wandering about with nothing to do. So they gave him my place and left me out. Haven't touched my guitars since. Don't want to either. Surprised I'm even on here, tbh.

Don't give up. Put this one down to experience and be thankful you found out what a total bunch of c***s they were before you invested too much time, effort and money in the band.

Not all musicians are like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    edited August 2013
    White Hohner Arbor Telecaster copy. After I upgraded I kept it for slide for ages. Finally junked it a few months ago, with no regrets. 

Surprised myself by deciding on my Michael Messer Resonator rather than any of my electrics. Didn't see that one coming.

1997 Honeyburst LP standard

The first decent guitar I had, a '62 reissue Tele that was stolen from me years ago. I'd love to get it back. Other than that, I do fancy a Jet City JCA22H and a 2x12.

Ernie Ball "Power Slinky" (11-48) for Electric and Ernie Ball "Not Even Slinky" (12-56) for slide. Newtone Resonator for my resonator 15-58.

I probably shouldn't have insisted on contributing to the backing vocals on this http://vocks.org.uk/jtm/dontneedyour9to5.mp3

Trying to get my fellow guitarist to tune his guitar and get the spare out of its case ("I never break strings") 

Trying to get my fellow guitarist off the bloody fruit machine so we can start packing up. 

Indifference from the audience. We once played virtually a whole gig to an entirely empty room. Soul destroying. 

You're not quite as bad as a burning pet shop, but leave the vocals to other people. You're a guitarist, not a singer.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6435
    edited August 2013

A couple of unbranded 3/4 size classical type jobbies, the second of which I learned the basics on and then progressed to a Squire Strat as my first "proper" guitar,

My Gretsch is probably the trickiest to replace, as it was a ltd edition...so probably that. I'd want to save my LP though, to be honest.

Squire Strat, brand new for Christmas 1989, if memory serves.

Realistically: Some new tuners for my PRS
    Dreamland: I would LOVE a nice valve combo, and also lust after a Gibson ES 335.

D'Addarios.  10's

I've never done a single recording I was even remotely happy with other than a couple of nice live ones we have done, so really I'd like to scrap them all and redo them!

Sticking my ear buds in place with some bandage tape from Boots.
    Drinking the first few sips of a pint that will from that point on sit untouched in my clear view for the next hour or so.
    Desperately checking the chords of the first dance.
    Switching my phone to silent.

After the first set: Checking in with my other half by phone, searching for the food...
    After the second set: Trying to pack my gear up as quickly as I can whilst trying to dodge requests from the laptop for our "DJ" section at the end of the night.

In my old band, during a gig where my ex-Mother in Law was present, the singertwat got her to identify herself to the crowd and then went on to tell her, and the entire room, that I had a "thing" for her.
    Trust me, nothing could have been further from the truth (unless by "thing" he meant "deep-seated loathing").
    Amusing though it is, it actually could have caused me a lot of trouble and I was decidedly not impressed.

My most recent car-crash-onstage was launching gungho into Mr Brightside this last weekend only to find my guitar was mashooooosively out of tune, to the point where the band carried on in a different key to normal in an attempt (unsuccessful) to find a key at least one string was in tune with. Thankfully we finished the song ok with little (read: no) contribution from myself and order was soon restored. No-one bar the band appeared to notice a thing.

Play with other people sooner.
    Buy a better amp sooner.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7082
    Some Encore Super Strat thing in the mid '80s all black and chrome. I ended up doing all sorts of weird stuff to it and 'selling' it to a girlfriend... 
    Nearest one. I have kids so they take priority over inanimate objects. Done the rescuing guitar from burning building in real life already when in my teens, so not risking that one again as I'm not as nimble these days.
    1969/70 Jazzmaster
    I'll tell you when I see it.
    D'Addario 10, 11 & 12s depending on the guitar.
    Nothing really I like all my recordings (I just delete anything I don't like) and as I engineer I can always change anything as I have all the original masters.
    Smoking, drinking & generally telling obscene jokes.
    Drinking and using the loo (not always in that order, sometimes at the same time) 
    Pulled amp stack down with guitar cable, and that yanked out power socket off stage. Just before a solo.
    Lay off the women and the weed 'or' maybe a 100 watt JCM800 and matching 4x12 isn't an ideal 'bedroom amp'.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299

1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it? - A Honher Strat copy in 1994, played it to death and still have it, badly needs a refret and a new nut but that thing has spot on intonation all over the board,in fact has ruined some far more expensive guitars for me!

2: The building's burning down- what one guitar do you save?- In all honesty probably that Honher strat, so many memories the rest can all be replaced, plus the Duncan JB I butchered into the bridge is really old.

3: What's the oldest guitar you own? -Sounding like a broken record but that Honher strat from 94 ( how sad!)

4: And the next piece of gear you'd like to acquire? - There's several but today its a Fender Billy Corgan strat or a G&L Fallout

5:What strings do you use? - Ernie ball 12's or Beefy slinky or heavy top dependant on guitar

6: If you could change one thing about a recording of your, what would it be? - I cant mix for sh*t so that I guess?

7: what are you doing five minutes before you go onstage? - Not gigged since 2001 but back then its downing a pint, smoking a cig and trying hard not to hurl.

8:...And five minutes after?- Thanking people for their pity claps

9: What's the worst thing that's ever happened to you onstage? - crowd knocked mic into my face breaking my nose, luckily I was drunk enough to brush it off and continue, next day hurt like hell.

10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar? - Learn a bit of theory - its ok it wont make you a muso wanker , stop swapping guitars all the time its not the guitar thats shit its you! oh and keep having fun whilst you can.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Lixarto said:

TheOtherDennis said: 9. What's the worst thing that's happened to you on stage?
    Other than booting a solo, nothing really bad happened on any of the four times I've taken the 'stage'. The worst thing that's ever happened to me in relation to live playing was this year when I did a Rock Experience course at The Stables at Milton Keynes. Went every week for six weeks, every time I suggested something, someone else suggested a different way and they all went with that instead. Learned 7 songs I wasn't really fussed about, not one of my suggestions made it through. Fair enough, it's not that important, so I just went with it. Then on the last day, we were getting ready to go onstage in a couple of hours in front of a proper audience when the band spotted that a kid from another band who'd been stood up by the rest of his band was wandering about with nothing to do. So they gave him my place and left me out. Haven't touched my guitars since. Don't want to either. Surprised I'm even on here, tbh.
    This is diabolical behaviour. :x

@TheOtherDennis
    just skimming through the discussion and this caught my eye. That's terrible.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    1. My brother's cheap acoustic which I tuned to open G. Probably 30 years ago but I didn't pick up another guitar or learn anything for another 5 years after that. 2. My MIJ strat. 3. My MIJ strat, without checking it is about 25 years old. 4. Anything. Quite possibly a better tremolo pedal but I have been hankering after a new amp for years, just can't justify it unless I earn the money for it from gigging. 5. Brand varies but 10's. 6. Very few recordings of me. Quite a nice live clip on youtube but the guitar is too low in the mix, so I'd change that. 7. Trying to find the toilet. I need a ritual pee just before going on. If I have it and then the band don't start for some reason I will have another pee before starting even if the delay was only ten minutes.8. Packing up, being annoyed that the rest of the band aren't packing up. 9. usual equipment failures and stuff. Very fond of this story which I told back on MR. Professionally awful as I just stopped playing and fell on the floor for no apparent reason from the audience perspective. We played a tattoo convention , supporting a group of exotic dancers ( honestly). Whilst we were playing the dancers appeared at my side of the stage and flashed their bosoms at me.As far as I know nobody else saw this but it did lead to my slightly hysterical behaviour. 10. Use your ears you dimwit and don't give up playing every time you fall in luuuv.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    EricTheWeary;22122" said:
    Lixarto said:

Other

than booting a solo, nothing really bad happened on any of the four

times I've taken the 'stage'. The worst thing that's ever happened to me

in relation to live playing was this year when I did a Rock Experience

course at The Stables at Milton Keynes. Went every week for six weeks,

every time I suggested something, someone else suggested a different way

and they all went with that instead. Learned 7 songs I wasn't really

fussed about, not one of my suggestions made it through. Fair enough,

it's not that important, so I just went with it. Then on the last day,

we were getting ready to go onstage in a couple of hours in front of a

proper audience when the band spotted that a kid from another band who'd

been stood up by the rest of his band was wandering about with nothing

to do. So they gave him my place and left me out. Haven't touched my

guitars since. Don't want to either. Surprised I'm even on here, tbh.

@TheOtherDennis

Indeed, it's an awful story.
    Get your guitar out tonight and move on.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    jaygtr said:
    EricTheWeary;22122" said:
    Lixarto said:

Other

than booting a solo, nothing really bad happened on any of the four

times I've taken the 'stage'. The worst thing that's ever happened to me

in relation to live playing was this year when I did a Rock Experience

course at The Stables at Milton Keynes. Went every week for six weeks,

every time I suggested something, someone else suggested a different way

and they all went with that instead. Learned 7 songs I wasn't really

fussed about, not one of my suggestions made it through. Fair enough,

it's not that important, so I just went with it. Then on the last day,

we were getting ready to go onstage in a couple of hours in front of a

proper audience when the band spotted that a kid from another band who'd

been stood up by the rest of his band was wandering about with nothing

to do. So they gave him my place and left me out. Haven't touched my

guitars since. Don't want to either. Surprised I'm even on here, tbh.

@TheOtherDennis

Indeed, it's an awful story.
    Get your guitar out tonight and move on.

Yup, definitely don't give up. Put an ad up on joinmyband.co.uk, asking for other musicians of a similar level of experience to jam/form a band. One lot of cunts doesn't mean everyone's like that. And playing with others is THE best way to improve. It drives improvement through necessity, and is also motivational (in a good way). Countless guitarists site not really beiong able to play when they formed their bands.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    Electric was an Aria Pro II soloist clone with sharkfins et al, it actually played really nicely, had a Kahler trem and a funky faux lightning paint job, would love to have it back. Must have been 1991/92
    Easy, only got one at the moment - Charvel San Dimas hardtail
    My original 3/4 classical that i learnt on when i was 10, which makes it a 1988...
    Gibson Explorer Pro, but i'll change my mind next week to a Les Paul, then back again :D
    D'Addario 9-46, perfect blend of light top heavy bottom, enough beef for drop D and still bendable on a 25.5 scale on the dusty end
    The drum sound on my old band's last demo, i could have got a better drum sound flicking a piece of paper...
    Warming up my hands, doing geeky runs up and down the neck to loosen up the joints, oh and always have a pre-match piss :)
    Packing up my gear sadly - i'd love to say something more rock n roll, but i'm pretty anal about tidying away my stuff when in the wild
    My DSL100 head going down 30 seconds into the first tune of a 5 tune set, then getting my backup Laney GH100L head up and running somewhere in tune 3 only for that to go tits up too!
    Use less gain!!!! EQ for the room you're in, put the overall sound of the band before your ego, put the hours in on the technical stuff when you're young and learn some theory!

• martmart Frets: 5205
    A twenty-quid POS from a pawn shop, but assuming I can gloss over that, it was a Black Squier Strat bought in November 1987 from Rockbottom in Croydon. £175 I think.

My recently acquired 1969 (YOB) Strat.

That Strat.

Another Squier: A bass VI when my local shop finally gets one.

A different set each time. For bass I'm settled on TI jazz flats, but for guitar I'm still deciding.

Play better, sing better, ...

Going for a wee.

Having a drink, strength determined by how well/badly things went.

For my first gig I borrowed someone else's amp. It had a standby switch, unlike any amp I'd experienced at that point, and someone had switched to standby before I hit the stage. The intro for the first song was just me and the drums. Except my amp was on standby, so it was just the drums. Cue very puzzled looks from the drummer.

Buy less, better kit, and worry more about the playing than the kit.