What solder are you using? I need to restock, recommendations welcome.

What's Hot
I'm running out of solder and I need to restock. I've been using a 100g reel of Cynel 60/40 Tin/Lead at 0.7mm which has been fine. Can't seem to find this now for sale. What's great and what's hot? Has to be leaded.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    edited April 2019
    I use this - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solders/8007655/

It's lead-free, but the 3% silver - the highest silver content easily available - makes it work properly.

Non-silver lead-free is shit, but this is just as good as leaded in my experience.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    I'm still using a reel of Maplin 4% silver solder I've had for years, but I'll need more soon.

You can get 4% quite easily, eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171596615826

R.
  • Using this atm but I change frequently depending upon availability and recommendation. 

'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    Plenty of old-school Ersin Multicore available on ebay.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    I tried to order a roll of leaded solder from RS the other day and my order was cancelled as it was a restricted product only available with trade accounts.  Is there a limit to the size of roll of leaded that can be bought?  The one I was trying to buy was a 250g.  I keep going through 100g rolls at a fairly high rate. 
  • TroglodyteTroglodyte Frets: 18
    I bought a big reel of Duratool leaded solder from Farnell a few years ago (I think it was this: https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d01682/solder-wire-sn60-pb40-0-7mm-500g/dp/SD01536 ). It does say "Professional Use Only" now...
  • TroglodyteTroglodyte Frets: 18
    Apparently sale to consumers was banned on March 1st last year... https://chemicalwatch.com/70930/uk-hse-reports-illegal-sale-of-lead-in-solders
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Fair enough - might try some of the lead free stuff recommended above then.  
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498

Doesn't make much sense, as I thought that the regulations were intended to stop commercial, large-scale use of lead solder. So you can buy it if you're an electronics manufacturer but not if you're building an amp or pedal for your own use!

Ersin multicore added to the list of items I'm stockpiling in case of no-deal brexit.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    I've been using lead-free for some time and I've not had any problems with it.

I'm using up the last of a largish reel I got from Maplin some time ago which was 4% Ag, 95.5% Sn, and 0.5% Cu, but my latest purchase was 500g of this: http://www.mbouk.co.uk/pdf/lead-free-sn96.pdf which is 3.5% Ag and 96.5 Sn

R.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    the regulations were intended to make it look as if governments were doing something 'green' without addressing the real problem
    FTFY :)

The problem is not putting lead in solder, it's the lead in solder getting into the environment via landfill dumping. But since all the electronics made from before WWII until a few years ago contain leaded solder, that will continue if old electronics ends up in landfill.

Thus the correct solution is to stop any of it going to landfill at all and make sure it's all recycled properly, in which case having lead in the solder doesn't matter because it will be extracted like all the other valuable metals. But that's more difficult and costly to implement...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    There are a lot of scare stories surrounding lead, and most are just bunkum. As @ICBM says, the problem isn't lead its that we allow it to get into landfill where it becomes moblie and capable of being leached into soil.

We shouldn't be putting any metals into landfill whatever, even aluminium (megawatts required to smelt it) copper and iron, the inherent stored energy in their production should make us think twice. 

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    hywelg said:
    There are a lot of scare stories surrounding lead, and most are just bunkum. As @ICBM says, the problem isn't lead its that we allow it to get into landfill where it becomes moblie and capable of being leached into soil.

We shouldn't be putting any metals into landfill whatever, even aluminium (megawatts required to smelt it) copper and iron, the inherent stored energy in their production should make us think twice. 

I explained this to a customer the other day. He was amused that I keep all my cable scraps and drop them off at the local metal recyclers when I’m next there (maybe once every 12 weeks). I get pennies from them for the scrap value but otherwise it just ends up buried and copper is a finite resource.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Still need to get some leaded solder. Any updated sources?
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    AIM Solder Wire Sn100C Glowcore - No Clean is the lead free stuff you want, the guys that attended my pedal boarding coarse call it magic solder, it is expensive, but a roll swill last ages.

https://aimsolder.com/products/solder-alloys/sn100c

Last time I bought it from these guys
    https://bltcircuitservices.co.uk/

I need full fat leaded 60/40!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    D01681 on CPC 

£4.75
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    @Danny1969 That might do it. Do you use it?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Philtre said:
    @Danny1969 That might do it. Do you use it?
    Yes, all I ever use. Roughly a roll every 2 or 3 weeks. It's a great size for PCB work and general sockets and stuff. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk