Avalon Acoustic - Legacy L32

What's Hot

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    If we believe another recent Discussion, there is no room for it in yo' guitar stash. :-p Presumably, you are enquiring on behalf of friends or relations.

The published specification fails to state whether the top and sides are solid spruce and rosewood but, given the retail price, it is a safe bet that they are.

Probably on a par with my Stonebridge. (Can't remember whether you've played that one.)
    Be seeing you.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    Correct - not for me. :)

This guitar is apparently ex-Dennis Greaves (Nine Below Zero).

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• GTCGTC Frets: 261
    I've just got a new left-handed  Avalon Pioneer L2-20 (see my recent thread) - and I think it is basically the equivalent of what used to be the L32 in the Legacy series. Solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, ebony fingerboard with very high quality components and finish.

A fantastic guitar which complements my Lowden F23C and BSG A-Pro well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • myrmanmyrman Frets: 68
    I own one. Lovely guitars. It has a warm mellow tone overall which I really like. It's the kind of guitar you can sit down and lose hours with. 

• GTCGTC Frets: 261
    GTC said:
    I've just got a new left-handed  Avalon Pioneer L2-20 (see my recent thread) - and I think it is basically the equivalent of what used to be the L32 in the Legacy series. Solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, ebony fingerboard with very high quality components and finish.

A fantastic guitar which complements my Lowden F23C and BSG A-Pro well. 
    Just to confirm - the L32 Legacy model here is the predecessor to the Pioneer L2-20 in the current Avalon range. The Hiscox case my L2-20 came in even has "Legacy" on the label. 
    edited April 2019
    Thanks @myrman, @Funkfingers and @GTC - much appreciated. The guitar had arrived in as a PX at a local music shop literally just before the Easter break and a friend was interested.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    The Legacy models are basically the same guitar as the Lowdens that were being produced months before before George wrestled the name back to restart production in his own name. 

for some time before that a "Lowden" was being made by people other than George Lowden, to great acclaim, then overnight apparently they weren't as good ;-) because they became called Avalons. 

Lowden O32 became Avalon L32 etc 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers, @TimmyO :)

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    @HarrySeven L32's are great guitars .. as per the posts above they're now renamed. Avalon are in a constant state of being in/out of business so prices have fluctuated greatly. I've seen L32's sell for everything from £700 to £2k.
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    I have a cutaway version of it
    It's a very good pro guitar, would be £3k new for that quality from any western maker
    It was made at the same workshop in which 15,000 Lowdens were made during the preceding 14 years
    PM me the price, and I will tell you if it's OK

Anchorboy said:
    @HarrySeven L32's are great guitars .. as per the posts above they're now renamed. Avalon are in a constant state of being in/out of business so prices have fluctuated greatly. I've seen L32's sell for everything from £700 to £2k.
    AFAIK they closed down once for a few months in 2012

You do see some used bargains, I assume because the George Lowden took the name with him when he left them 
    @ToneControl - will do!

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Anchorboy said:

You do see some used bargains, I assume because the George Lowden took the name with him when he left them 
    He sold the name and agreed not to build under his own name. Then years later he unagreed 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Anchorboy said:

He sold the name and agreed not to build under his own name. Then years later he unagreed 
    The story I've heard does not seem very fair on the Avalon guys after they built the Lowden brand with 15,000 guitars over 14+ years
    Well, acoustics really aren’t my thing, but this did play and sound very nicely.