The Repair Shop

What's Hot
David Kennett from Flame Guitars appeared on BBC1’s Repair Shop on Wednesday. He was restoring the Fender bass of Tony Wilson from Hot Chocolate. There’s not a lot of detail, mainly a re-fret and distressing replacement parts, but it’s nice to see guitar repair featuring on mainstream media.

I missed the broadcast because I went to see @digitalscream’s gig, but watched it this afternoon on iPlayer Series 4: Episode 18: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0004b87
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• @Roland thanks for posting that. I wasn't aware of it but I'll enjoy it when a get some spare time at the weekend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    edited April 2019
    Got it recoreded and will watch later, there are some very skilled folk on this programme.
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Watched it last night, first thing he’ll do is take those bloody covers off and get someone to set it up, you could limbo under those strings ;)
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    Watched it last night, first thing he’ll do is take those bloody covers off and get someone to set it up, you could limbo under those strings ;)
    Agreed, the covers are for show only. And I suspect that with the bass being years in the shed, neck bowed, it's pretty much set like that. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10264

Been waiting for this episode to come on. 

Absolutely love this show and have seen every episode so far. Look extra forward to watching this one. 

On a side note,the episode earlier in the series where the old gent gets his old radio restored is utterly magical. Such a lovely show.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • MgeekMgeek Frets: 5
    I watched this yesterday and almost choked on my dinner...

To deal with a gouged looking area on the back of the neck, he stripped *all* the original finish off, and planed the entire thing with a spoke shave, before putting an oil finish on it.

Pics can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/338735022804158/photos/a.345000818844245/2959461617398139/?type=3&theater

I'm by no means an expert, but personally I'd have gone with something far less drastic- perhaps drop filling that area with lacquer or sanding sealer(?) and blending it in to the original finish. Aside from the issues with it being a vintage bass, Jazz basses aren't known for their tree trunk necks, so I'd be concerned about it's continued existence, especially as it looked like it was already a bit of a banana

Thoughts?

• SargeSarge Frets: 2376
    Did anyone else spot the ill seated frets on the handover?  Also I can't believe he shaved the neck so drastically  I suppose the lad could find a second use for it now, as a bow and arrow maybe? That guy was no luthier. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    The guy is a member of this forum - see the thread elsewhere....
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    they are showing re-runs now, did anybody see the violin restoration?
    Violin passed down 3 generations, went through Auschwitz, repair involved taking the top off, which revealed a late 19th century signature. Anyhoo, the fingerboard was off it, and was very worn-he even said you could see the fingerprints. Then he proceeded to glue it on, and planed all the wear off.
    I was thinking---why not put on a new fingerboard-to make the instrument playable, and leave the original intact.
    Also, when handed over-no mention of the sig, which he could have easily took a picture of.
    It sounded ok at the end, and a pro played a new composition for the owner, but I just felt he could have been a bit more sympathetic with the board, given its history.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I have to say that after the bass episode I haven’t watched any more and I deleted them from my planner. 
  • I’m watching the bass restoration episode right now and was also shocked when he started shaving the neck so dramatically.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    I’m watching the bass restoration episode right now and was also shocked when he started shaving the neck so dramatically.

As I understand it, they restore items that have sentimental value to the owners. They don’t restore items to increase their resale value. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Rocker said:
    I’m watching the bass restoration episode right now and was also shocked when he started shaving the neck so dramatically.

As I understand it, they restore items that have sentimental value to the owners. They don’t restore items to increase their resale value. 
    Or, in that case, preserve any originality, or original value.
  • Well that settles it, I'm NOT taking my strat there !!!!
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    Come on friends, this is television not reality. Check out the other programme in which Vic Flick takes his old strat to a US auction house... I read elsewhere the instrument was subsequently sold on for much less than the 'expert' valued it.