Is there a gig-friendly acoustic for amplified work with effects?

What's Hot
I'm musing on doing some solo voice and acoustic work (and performances) using effects for extra tonal variety and to add atmosphere. I'm thinking about getting a new (to me) guitar that is suited to that sort of thing - easy to play, maybe with lighter strings than the 12s I usually use and a thinner body depth for a bit more comfort. As it will be amplified, I don't care how it sounds acoustically, just how it sounds when plugged in. Either plugged into an acoustic backline amp or straight into a PA.

What is out there that I should look at? No budget in mind but inexpensive is good, here. 

Ta. 

PS: I might just do it with a Tele instead, but they don't sound as good when you're strumming them hard. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    Taylor guitars hit this brief very well I think
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489

a thinner body depth for a bit more comfort. As it will be amplified, I don't care how it sounds acoustically, just how it sounds when plugged in. Either plugged into an acoustic backline amp or straight into a PA.

From that description IMO it sounds like a Yamaha APX could be what you after. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957

Really - I was playing one yesterday, it sounded very good plugged in. If anything it was strung too much like an acoustic, with bronze (I think) 12s - it would have felt better with lighter strings.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Mrs M uses a Yamaha silent guitar for gigs that has effects and modelling built in which sounds great through a PA. You could also have a look at the Variax Acoustic although no effects as such 12string banjo and sitar would cover most of the chorus effects bases!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

a thinner body depth for a bit more comfort. As it will be amplified, I don't care how it sounds acoustically, just how it sounds when plugged in. Either plugged into an acoustic backline amp or straight into a PA.

From that description IMO it sounds like a Yamaha APX could be what you after. 
    I used an Yamaha APX for this sort of thing. I was looping at adding chorus, delay, tremolo etc. Small body and felt very comfortable for a mostly electric player.

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    What about a Godin Multiac?
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    Thanks all for your suggestions. Some things to look at there. 

Do keep them coming if you've got anything else to suggest.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    I'd second Yamaha for this kind of thing.  The SRT preamp has modelling built in and sounds far better than a conventional straight piezo.  If you dare buy from Dawsons, they have the mahogany sided A1M which is the cheapest way of getting the SRT preamp.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Yamaha APX - great electro acoustic pretty much exactly what it was designed for - I've just got one and played it tonight live pretty much spot on ;)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    How about getting piezo saddles added to a fixed bridge electric, like your tele?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    How about getting piezo saddles added to a fixed bridge electric, like your tele?
    Personally I think they sound awful in a solo context - although acceptable in a full band mix. You need a hollower body and preferably a wooden 'acoustic' bridge for them to sound right - and have the right sort of attack and sustain curve, which is if anything more important than the actual tone is since it's harder to fix with outboard signal processing - otherwise they just sound like a bad electric guitar.

I'd honestly rather use an acoustic simulator pedal or even just DI the normal electric guitar pickups than use them. I've actually DI'd my Rickenbacker a few times, it sounded surprisingly good - although it is a more fully hollow one than most.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Personally I think they sound awful in a solo context - although acceptable in a full band mix. You need a hollower body and preferably a wooden 'acoustic' bridge for them to sound right - and have the right sort of attack and sustain curve, which is if anything more important than the actual tone is since it's harder to fix with outboard signal processing - otherwise they just sound like a bad electric guitar.

I'd honestly rather use an acoustic simulator pedal or even just DI the normal electric guitar pickups than use them. I've actually DI'd my Rickenbacker a few times, it sounded surprisingly good - although it is a more fully hollow one than most.
    True

Units like the Axefx can help with this, by adding guitar-body impulse responses and detailed EQ and multi-band compression tweaking

It all depends how authentic you need to be, and how many gigs you are planning to need this capability for
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    <snip>
    Units like the Axefx can help with this, by adding guitar-body impulse responses and detailed EQ and multi-band compression tweaking

It all depends how authentic you need to be, and how many gigs you are planning to need this capability for
    I've got a couple of nice acoustics with K&K pickups that I can get a great solo sound out of (with the K&K external preamp). If I was just looking to amplify the natural sound and sing along, they do a decent enough job.

But I'm looking to rearrange some "full band" compositions of my own into a solo package and that will need some extra tonal options and sort of destroy the natural sound at times. So I started thinking "Why not get a smaller acoustic with a shallower body and maybe a cutaway so it's easier to stand and play it?" As I'm amplifying and processing the sound, the acoustic un-amplified sound is unimportant as long as it sounds decent through the PA.

So, not too authentic. I'll often be adding some modulation or delay as part of the "re-imagining".  :) I own an HX FX, and that looks fairly promising from the FX perspective for this project. It's the guitar that I'm not sure about. 

Or I might get a bit down the road and decide not to do it at all - but I'm full of good intentions at the moment! 

Godin multiacs are popular
    I had a nylon one, never really gelled with it myself, I think a steel strung one would be fine, and can open up midi synth control too - one of those through a vg99 or vg88 could be an extra option, Bill Bailey used this arrangement (I think it was Roland-based) via his acoustic for a show I saw on TV. Then you can do allsorts:  Banjos, bass, 12 strings, alternate tunings
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 407
    I use a Variax Acoustic which is a good workhorse and is feedback free so I think it should take any pedals well. 
  • mgaw said:
    Taylor guitars hit this brief very well I think
    I used to do open mic with a US made Taylor Big Baby with a Rare Earth Fishman pick up. I now have a 15 year old Taylor 415 Jumbo and it sounds bloody massive, Taylor are great gigging acoustic guitars.