School me on bass guitar strings

What's Hot
lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
My son has "graduated" from a short scales bass with 0.040 - 0.095 strings to a full scale bass with .050 - .110 rotosound swing bass strings - these are the strings that came with the bass.

He is struggling a bit and I am certain a lighter gauge string will help bridge the playability gap.

My question is what should I go for? Brand and gauge...

Got a spare set of these if anyone wants to do a swap :D ..

https://imgur.com/a/FHTXNcH

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is it the increased tension of the strings making it harder, or is it the bigger stretches required with a longer scale? If it's the latter then lighter strings isn't gonna make much difference, will just need a bit more time getting his tendons and muscles used to the extra stretching. 

Or is it the increased thickness of the strings hurting his finger tips? If so you could look at a set of flatwounds - the feel is night and day in terms of comfort on the fingertips, but obviously gives a very different sound. Would depend what sort of stuff he's wanting to play I guess. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    Is it the increased tension of the strings making it harder, or is it the bigger stretches required with a longer scale? If it's the latter then lighter strings isn't gonna make much difference, will just need a bit more time getting his tendons and muscles used to the extra stretching. 

Or is it the increased thickness of the strings hurting his finger tips? If so you could look at a set of flatwounds - the feel is night and day in terms of comfort on the fingertips, but obviously gives a very different sound. Would depend what sort of stuff he's wanting to play I guess. 
    Flatwounds, now I never even gave that a thought...

He plays mainly blues, rock and a bit of funk too. I think it is the gauge and the added strength needed to play the same stuff but on a full scale bass.  .095 to .110 is quite a jump for a 14 year old. 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Some low tension flats will help. The Thomatiks are good, as are the labella low tension flats - they are considerably “easier” on the fingers, but do take a bit of getting used to.

If he doesn’t like them, you can flog them for a small loss quite easily. 
    edited May 2019
    BTW - most full scale low tension flats start at .45 anyway...
  • 50-110 is thick for standard tuning IMO.

I’d go for a set of D’Addario nickel 45-100 as a baseline and go from there. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    50-110 is thick for standard tuning IMO.

I’d go for a set of D’Addario nickel 45-100 as a baseline and go from there. 

Yep 
    Okay thanks for the info guys!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23933
    50-110 are monsters. I think they are the Steve Harris signature set of Rotos. Very heavy.

Strings are so personal it's difficult to recommend, but saying that, if he liked 40-95 on a short scale the same gauge will have a bit more tension on long scale.

So I'd start with 40-95 or 40-100 long scale.

D'addario pro steel are my choice for roundwounds every time.

Flats are funny - most flats are stiffer at the same gauge as rounds - with the exception of Thomastik TI Flats and La Bella Low Tension flats. La Bella also do their deep talking flats too - they are proper old school 1950s strings and are still made the same way. Quite high tension though.

The TI flats and the La bella low tensions are however rather expensive compared to rounds, and other flats.

That being said - it's not unheard of to get 10 years out of a set of TI Flats, so they can still be very good value.
    Ed Friedland (the Bass Whisperer) is well known for saying "Change your strings every 10 years, whether they need it or not!"

I tend to put rounds on Jazz type basses or other modern instruments, and flats on Precision types.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    When I was a bass player I always used Bass Centre Elites, 40 - 100 gauge on my fretted basses and Rotosound flatwounds on my fretless (same gauge).
    Just ordered some D'Addario Super Light 40 - 95 so we'll see how he gets on with these ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Too late now, but if it matters I use Rotosound Roto Bass 45-105. I much prefer the 'cheaper' Roto Bass to the 'better' Swing Bass - even at the same gauge they feel 'slinkier', aren't as rough and are much less hard on the fingers, seem to retain their tone for much longer, and in my opinion just sound better from the start too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    ICBM said:
    Too late now, but if it matters I use Rotosound Roto Bass 45-105. I much prefer the 'cheaper' Roto Bass to the 'better' Swing Bass - even at the same gauge they feel 'slinkier', aren't as rough and are much less hard on the fingers, seem to retain their tone for much longer, and in my opinion just sound better from the start too.

My understanding is the Swing Bass are Stainless Steel and the Roto Bass are Nickel.

I'd agree Swing Bass Steels lose their tone very quickly, and compared to Pro Steels they're noticeably rougher in feel.  
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Judging by the empty packet in the case, my Fender AVRI '63 Precision Bass is strung with Fender 9050L .045-.100 stainless steel flatwound. 

I only have a .110 E string as part of a Billy Sheehan signature set. The idea is to maintain acceptable tension when a Hipshot D-Tuner is used.
    Be seeing you.
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3756
    edited May 2019
    *THREAD HIJACK TIME*

So I'm currently playing bass in a band which plays kinda "Alt Rock" originals stuff. We're not heavy by any stretch, the main influence for the lead singer/main songwriter are probably female fronted groups like Evanescence/Halestorm etc, so think that sort of level of heaviness.

My bass is currently strung with Thomastik Flats (approx. 5 years old I believe, they were fitted by the previous owner). They feel great on the fingers, are super easy to play, and probably have a good few years of mileage left in them. However, I can't help thinking I could use a little more 'snap' or 'zing' to the sound to match the kind of music we play. I've considered fitting a set of Rounds to compare. But then I came across these 'Half Round' strings:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DAddario-ENR71-Regular-045-100-Electric/dp/B0009FZWMW

The advertising shtick promises "Smooth Feel Without Compromising Bright Tone" which sounds like the perfect compromise. Anyone got any experience with these strings (or any other Half Rounds)? Advertising waffle too good to be true?
    *THREAD HIJACK TIME*

So I'm currently playing bass in a band which plays kinda "Alt Rock" originals stuff. We're not heavy by any stretch, the main influence for the lead singer/main songwriter are probably female fronted groups like Evanescence/Halestorm etc, so think that sort of level of heaviness.

My bass is currently strung with Thomastik Flats (approx. 5 years old I believe, they were fitted by the previous owner). They feel great on the fingers, are super easy to play, and probably have a good few years of mileage left in them. However, I can't help thinking I could use a little more 'snap' or 'zing' to the sound to match the kind of music we play. I've considered fitting a set of Rounds to compare. But then I came across these 'Half Round' strings:

The advertising shtick promises "Smooth Feel Without Compromising Bright Tone" which sounds like the perfect compromise. Anyone got any experience with these strings (or any other Half Rounds)? Advertising waffle too good to be true?
    I don’t like them. Neither fish nor foil to me. 

Chromes are brighter than TI’s as are the Fender flats. You could try tapewounds as well as they might suit your bands sound.

Course, if you try something and don’t like it, you can just stick the TIs back on!
  • *THREAD HIJACK TIME*

I don’t like them. Neither fish nor foil to me. 

Chromes are brighter than TI’s as are the Fender flats. You could try tapewounds as well as they might suit your bands sound.

Course, if you try something and don’t like it, you can just stick the TIs back on!
    Yes that is true, and I that's what I'll do if I don't like whatever other options I try. Just don't fancy spending £35-40 on a set I don't like! Which brand of Chrome flats would you recommend? Never thought about tapewounds, don't know much about them, will have to do some researching!

Chromes are a Daddario brand. They are slightly brighter than other flats and tend to give a bit of the round wound zing when they are fresh. Over time they do flatten and dull but they continue to maintain some of the unique character that they have when you first put them on.

If you don’t like them, then there’s a pretty active used market for bass strings because they last so long (especially flats)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited May 2019
    I'm another D'Addario Chromes fan - and I'm only an occasional bass player so also find heavy bass strings a challenge.

I use the 45 - 100 ECB81 'regular light' set, but you can get a 'Custom Light' set ECB84 which are 40 - 100.

What I like about Chromes is that you get the comfort of flatwound but more of a brightness (not the same as roundwounds but heading in that direction)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Right then, new set D'Addario Chromes ordered! Will report back when I've got them on.

Cheers guys. :)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    edited May 2019
    I'd order a set of regular roundwound Daddarios for an alt rock band. Or Fenders if you want a good quality cheaper set to test. I liked halfrounds for a clean deep tone for years but now use rounds. Chromes are good and brightish (have them on a fretless) but they will still not give you the snap or sustain that rounds do.