Ash at Oil City answers pickup questions:

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9980
    tFB Trader
    DefaultM said:
    BKP warpig ... Would that match up ok? 
    My experience has always been that the only sensible match for any BKP War Pig or Pig'90 pickup is another BKP War Pig or Pig'90 ... and a high quality volume pot per pickup.

Modesty probably prevents Ash from saying how closely his Void pickup would match with the BK 'Pig.

DefaultM said:
    I've got a scrapyard dog plus

The Dog Plus is a very good match :-)
    There is your answer. Enjoy. :)
    My Void P90 is a fair bit more powerful than a War Pig as it uses alnico 8 magnets and has a smidge higher DCR
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Looking forward to it arriving now. 

What would happen if I put the void 90 in neck position, with the ceramic warpig bridge? 
    The one I've got is the bridge version (if there even is a neck version?).
    tFB Trader
    Hummmm I really couldn't say 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I put it with the SD+ in my PRS CE22. Very nice together.
    New record as well; had some Warpigs in there for 1 day before I took them out.
    What an awesome pickup. When you hold a note, instead of fading out it starts to sort of turn in to harmonics. Not sure if thats because I'm sitting close to my speakers, but others don't do it.
    tFB Trader
    DefaultM said:
    What an awesome pickup. When you hold a note, instead of fading out it starts to sort of turn in to harmonics. Not sure if thats because I'm sitting close to my speakers, but others don't do it.
    That's fun isn't it? :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    @OilCityPickups not sure if you've seen but I've sent you a PM
  • MolemanMoleman Frets: 133
    Hi Ash, I wanted to ask why there seems to be so very few PAF style humbuckers that measure out at around 10k or so resistance? An example would be the Seymour Duncan Brobucker from their custom shop: http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/brobucker/
    Also would you be able to wind such a pickup? 

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    Hi Ash
    Considering a Fender Ed O'Brien Strat at somd point. Do you make a single coil sized replacement that would swap for thd JB Jnr  bridge humbucker? Ie looking for a vinrage low /med output? Ta
    Jon
    tFB Trader
    Moleman said:
    Hi Ash, I wanted to ask why there seems to be so very few PAF style humbuckers that measure out at around 10k or so resistance? An example would be the Seymour Duncan Brobucker from their custom shop: http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/brobucker/
    Also would you be able to wind such a pickup? 

The reason is that it's pretty well impossible to get enough normal 42awg wire on standard bobbins to get up to 10k. You can drop wire gauges to get more on ... but with most companies that means a drop to 43awg wire and that significantly changes the tone of the pickup. Those that do pickups around 10k (like my own Airship Trooper) tend to use '42.5' grade wire as it allows more wire without compromising too much of the the open tone of a PAF. 
    JonHosker said:
    Hi Ash
    Considering a Fender Ed O'Brien Strat at somd point. Do you make a single coil sized replacement that would swap for thd JB Jnr  bridge humbucker? Ie looking for a vinrage low /med output? Ta
    Jon
    Because of the complexity of building SC sized humbuckers, and the fact that there are so many low price ones about ... I stopped producing these.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 760
    edited June 2019
    @JonHosker the Ed O"Brien Strat needs a hot bridge pickup to effectively drive the Fernandes Sustainer system. If you want to use the sustainer you will need a hot bridge pickup - it's an unavoidable requirement of the Fernandes Sustainer system. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Hi Ash, how do Fender get an output reading of 7.1 ohm using 42 awg wire with the Nocaster CS 51 Tele neck pickup? Sounds a bit impossible with a standard size neck pickup. Cheers
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    Thsnjs for the info.
    Keep building what you  are doing.
    Jon
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    Hi Ash,

What's the difference between your Tubesnake and Blitz Spirit sets (apart from £66)? 

Tubesnake (Masterwound, £109): Alnico II PAF-style, neck 7.9k, bridge 8.5k average.

Blitz Spirit (£76): Alnico II PAF-style, neck 7.6k, bridge 8.4k.

Those DC resistances are almost within the margin of error, so how different are they?
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    @JonHosker the Ed O"Brien Strat needs a hot bridge pickup to effectively drive the Fernandes Sustainer system. If you want to use the sustainer you will need a hot bridge pickup - it's an unavoidable requirement of the Fernandes Sustainer system. 
    beat me to it: the circuit is set up for that pickup, it's inviting trouble to replace it
    tFB Trader
    Hi Ash,

What's the difference between your Tubesnake and Blitz Spirit sets (apart from £66)? 

Tubesnake (Masterwound, £109): Alnico II PAF-style, neck 7.9k, bridge 8.5k average.

Those DC resistances are almost within the margin of error, so how different are they?
    The lower priced pickup set is in my 'Standard' range: that means that overall it uses less expensive components ... the most expensive component difference is in the winding wire, the Blitz Spirit uses poly coated wire sourced in the UK whereas the Tubesnake uses vintage spec wire that is imported from the US. The price difference in the wire is fairly spectacular: the poly wire being around £130 for 5 kilos ... the Vintage spec PVA plain enamel from the US is  £300 for 5 pounds! 
    Yes the DC resistances are close ... but then so are those of a Strat neck pickup and a Filtertron ... or a Tele neck pickup and one coil of a Super Distortion ... DC resistance means absolutely nothing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Zoolooter said:
    Hi Ash, how do Fender get an output reading of 7.1 ohm using 42 awg wire with the Nocaster CS 51 Tele neck pickup? Sounds a bit impossible with a standard size neck pickup. Cheers
    Fender have always used 43awg in their neck pickups (except the super tall Twisted Tele). not sure where you saw the 42awg bit ... it's clearly a mistake as it's a struggle to get 6k of 42awg on my own Californian Tele neck pickup ... which is also way over height ... and doesn't take a cover!!!!

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    Hi Ash,

The lower priced pickup set is in my 'Standard' range: that means that overall it uses less expensive components ... the most expensive component difference is in the winding wire, the Blitz Spirit uses poly coated wire sourced in the UK whereas the Tubesnake uses vintage spec wire that is imported from the US. The price difference in the wire is fairly spectacular: the poly wire being around £130 for 5 kilos ... the Vintage spec PVA plain enamel from the US is  £300 for 5 pounds! 
    Yes the DC resistances are close ... but then so are those of a Strat neck pickup and a Filtertron ... or a Tele neck pickup and one coil of a Super Distortion ... DC resistance means absolutely nothing.
    I wasn't having a dig or suggesting the Tubesnake should cost £76; sorry if it came across that way. I'm after a description of the differences in sound. Obviously they must be distinctive or you wouldn't bother having both models in your lineup. What do they do differently? 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    tFB Trader
    I didn't see it as a dig lol ... the Blitz Spirit is a more modern sounding pickup overall. The TubeSnake is directed far more at  Billy Gibbons/Slash tones. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Where do you get your rubber tubing for single coil pickup mounting? It is way better than the dirty yeller stuff that Fender provides. 
    Be seeing you.