The Pedal Finishing Thread - Painting, Coating, Drilling, Envirotex, etc

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    edited August 2018
    So here is my American Sound as personalised by missus munckee.  I know where this rabbit hole goes, a board of all joyo pedals all sanded and decorated!

https://i.imgur.com/sykRt20.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/JkgRxMm.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/AOrIH6d.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Looks great! Are you applying or spraying some kind of top coat for protection?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Yep got some plascoat I think it's called have only done one coat as I like the idea of it wearing a bit over time. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9501
    munckee said:
    I know where this rabbit hole goes, a board of all joyo pedals all sanded and decorated!

This didn’t work out well for Freekish Blues!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Here's my latest project, a King of Tone clone. Two circuit boards, one for each side, and a daughter board for the clipping diodes and DIP switches. I didn't have enough black knobs, so two are purple until I order some more...

IMG-0991

IMG-0992
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread - very helpful.

I've built about 8 pedals now and am thinking about getting the enclosures powder coated before having a go at printing labels and using this Envirotex stuff. Pedals sound great but looks leave a little to be desired :)

Probably going to get them all coated in white and then just generate different graphics for the labels.

Si
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9501
    OK... I have another project on the go. Fuzzdog powdercoated enclosure (yes they appear to be stocking them again) and I will shortly have some rub-off transfer paper (flashbacks to when we used to make 7" single covers with Letraset and the photocopier in work). I could never get waterslides to work without smudging. The graphics are quite simple, just a black drawing over the powdercoat colour.

I will rough-up the top of the enclosure before I apply the decal, then I will spray the top with some sort of clear coat. Any suggestions of what I could use for good results? I've tried Halfords lacquer before on an enclosure I painted myself and it took months to cure. PlastiKote acrylic seems to get good reviews in general (on amazon and the like, by craft-type people). Any suggestions?
  • Well, this has been going pretty well. The results are not perfect, but far better than anything else I've tried. I will fill you in with the details and some photos when I've finished soldering...
  • Well, this has been going pretty well. The results are not perfect, but far better than anything else I've tried. I will fill you in with the details and some photos when I've finished soldering...
    Cool - I’ve got s couple of Fuzzdogs kits on the way so might give this a try..
    Just don't use Rustoleum clear coat. It's shit.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672

I thought I'd add my recent build to this thread, though the finishing can best be described as "rough and ready" as I didn't want to spend ages on it

I sprayed one quick coat of satin black (after washing the enclosure with a little washing up liquid) onto the front face and rubbed it back a little with some wet and dry and kitchen towel soaked in white spirit.

The lettering and ray gun was drawn on with a silver paint marker, rubbed back and re-done to make it look nicely ragged.

I would like a little colour on it though, so maybe I'll have to pick up some paint pens if I don't just use a little acrylic (I have lots of artist acrylics and as it won't be stood on it won't suffer too much wear).

I was going to use red, white and blue knobs but once I'd done the paint I thought the clear ones suited it better.

The pedal is my third kit build and the easiest of the three - a Parasit Studios Raygun Youth, which is a mad PLL fuzz monster. I'm also looking at five other Parasit Studios kits as they're cheap, easy to build and sound great (i.e. mad).

httpwwwarrowheadguitarscoukpicsraygunyouthjpg
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Hi all.  Been a while - work has been taking over my life recently and so I have not been very productive this year at all, but got this finished recently.  It was the Skreddy Lunar Module Deluxe that @Philtre recommended.  My first fuzz pedal and it sounds ace!  Got a few more pedal BOMs picked out and in tubs ready to go so hopefully get some more achieved soon! 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That looks really nice @SteveF :-)

Are you still using Envirotex? BTW - is that a Peavey amp?
    Thanks @Philtre ;

Yes, still using Envirotex.  I figured I may as well while I still have a supply of the sticky backed paper and ET.  I'll try another approach when I run out. 

The amp is a Fender Blues Deluxe.  Sounds great clean and with pedals.  I never really use the drive channel to be honest. 
    I'm still using the sticky backed paper and another thin layer of clear sticky vinyl on top approach. Seems to be quite strong.

Did a makeover of an old pedal last week (Jan Ray clone):

fay-ray
    Also did a OCD clone using the same technique:

omg
    How does it sound?  I have one of those on my "to build" list.  I spent a few hours ordering specific bits and picking all the bits out into little tubs for my next builds. So far I have these ready to go: 

Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay
    MXR Phase 90
    Boss CE-2
    Vemuram Jan Ray
    ZVex Fuzzolo
    Hudson Broadcast
    ProCo Rat
    Earthquaker Devices Tentacles (already did one of these for a mate and it sounded mental so thought I would knock one up for myself)

Philtre said:
    Also did a OCD clone using the same technique:

omg
     =) That looks great! 
    SteveF said:
    How does it sound?  I have one of those on my "to build" list.  I spent a few hours ordering specific bits and picking all the bits out into little tubs for my next builds. So far I have these ready to go: 

Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay
    MXR Phase 90
    Boss CE-2
    Vemuram Jan Ray
    ZVex Fuzzolo
    Hudson Broadcast
    ProCo Rat
    Earthquaker Devices Tentacles (already did one of these for a mate and it sounded mental so thought I would knock one up for myself)
    The Jan Ray clone sounds much like my Timmy clone (much the same circuit), but perhaps slightly different.

Done the Deep Blue Delay, nice one to do.
    Done the Rat, sounds ace.

Have you done a Fuzz Factory? Can't remember if you have.
    Fuzz Factory also picked out and ready to build - missed it from the list!