The Pedal Finishing Thread - Painting, Coating, Drilling, Envirotex, etc

What's Hot
18910111214»

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    SteveF said:
    Fuzz Factory also picked out and ready to build - missed it from the list! 
    Good.

A tip - be prepared for some squealing. I spent ages trying to debug my first FF because I thought something was wrong. It's supposed to sound like that. ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Haha excellent! 

I think I'm most looking forward to the Hudson Broadcast and most worried about the Phase 90.  I have built a little FET tester and matched the transistors as closely as I could from about 12 options but I'm not sure how close is a "good" match. 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2410
    Just poured a coat of envirotex on my emperor of tone, seemed straightforward enough. 

If you find you get a slightly uneven finish around the holes, you can try taping the back of the holes next time and then you can pour a nice flat coat over the whole thing and redial the holes out when it's cured. 

That graphic looks excellent - paint pens? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    Holy Necro thread, Batman!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2023
    Yeah I taped the back so the varnish poured pretty flat. Hopefully it’s easy enough to drill out?

yep posca pens, with some farrow and ball Calluna for the background. Got a sample pot of the colour we want to do the bathroom in knocking about so thought I’d put the rest of it to use in this cost of living crisis. I went with powder coated white cases for the stewmac kit but it turned out to be too slick for the posca pens. Scuff sanding a key did the trick but had to cover that up somehow
    Very easy to drill, but do it from the front, or you risk lifting the finish from around the holes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Appreciate the tip!
    edited April 2023
    Job’s a good’un, it all works and the kit was straightforward enough - apart from the feeding the chassis mounded LED legs through the fully loaded pcb which was an exercise in patience. Got some smaller knobheads coming to fit on the bottom 2 knobs, going to take some fiddling about with the get decent sounds out of it I reckon, a bias pot for each side and dip switch for gain settings to dick about with. 

A couple of things I’d like to improve with the lacquer, first time using that though and I’m happy enough with the result to live with this as is 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • -x-GF-x--x-GF-x- Frets: 40
    edited August 2023
    New to pedal DIY and hoping for some help... I have a Joyo Ultimate Drive, which sounds great but looks awful and I'd like to redecorate it.

I had thought the easiest way would be roughing up the existing paint, enamel spray paint, water decals printed on my cheapo ink jet printer, then clear coat.

I haven't settled on a design but currently my ideas are things like this... 

Does that seem sensible/likely to succeed? 
    Love the top design. Looks great. :)

You’re plan will probably work but I never had great results with spray paint. If you have the kit/ability to drill, then you may be able to get a powder coated new enclosure for a similar cost (or less) than the paint. You could then do your water slide and clear coat or use envirotex or similar epoxy on the top (guide earlier in this thread by Phil). 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Planning to box this up today

I've been using a fixed wah + doubler effect together for my lead sound so I'm putting the two effects in one box with one switch

The off board wiring is all done

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    SteveF said:
    Love the top design. Looks great.

You’re plan will probably work but I never had great results with spray paint. If you have the kit/ability to drill, then you may be able to get a powder coated new enclosure for a similar cost (or less) than the paint. You could then do your water slide and clear coat or use envirotex or similar epoxy on the top (guide earlier in this thread by Phil). 

No drilling kit sadly. Otherwise a new powder-coated enclosure would be tempting.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    roberty said:
    Planning to box this up today

I've been using a fixed wah + doubler effect together for my lead sound so I'm putting the two effects in one box with one switch

The off board wiring is all done

It's here https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3653327/#Comment_3653327
    Another question for those with more expertise...

Another pedal I like listening to but not looking at is my Behringer ADI21 - truly hideous. I'd like to respray it (with an adhesive promoter, then enamel paint), but it looks like water decals might not take to that textured finish. Can anyone suggest some means of applying neatly finished labelling?