SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Private Messages ~ keeping PMs private

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
edited May 2014 in Guitars £
Are you are inadvertently leaving messages on someone's wall /profile page when you thought you were PM-ing them?

It is the most usual reason for PMs not getting through.

Be *very careful*, this page is open to the public, and also to google's bots (and other bots too), the same as the recent activity page.
I have seen eMail addresses, paypal, phone numbers, geographical addresses and more on here, all open to public view.

Message button for PMs is top right of the wall / profile page.

All too easily done, you're wouldn't be the first, certainly won't be the last.
(unless the modmins change the PM button so it is more obvious)

If you think you may have done this go through and check the recipients profile page and delete to remove them. (*hover over your post & use the X icon that appears top right)    (edited to improve clarity, thanks to an experiment conducted with surfguy to ensure it works)
If someone has left personal information on your page, please PM them and ask them to edit or remove it for safety.

Hope that helps  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7082
    This one

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Out of interest, does anybody use the activity box? Just wondering if it could be used for the Trader feedback bobbins in some way @TTony

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    JookyChap said:
    Out of interest, does anybody use the activity box? Just wondering if it could be used for the Trader feedback bobbins in some way @TTony
    Thats a real good idea!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    meltedbuzzbox;222106" said:
    JookyChap said:

Thats a real good idea!
    Absolutely. Rather than trawl through a thread you click a profile and get an idea of their trading rep.

Is there any control though to stop untruths being posted?
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    meltedbuzzbox;222106" said:
    JookyChap said:

Thats a real good idea!
    Absolutely. Rather than trawl through a thread you click a profile and get an idea of their trading rep.

Is there any control though to stop untruths being posted?
    I guess that comes down to the mods if there is a problem, and if it is somebody 'fluffing' a mate's rep. it is no different to the current situation really.

Sorry @ChrisMusic - didn't mean to derail this.. :)

• matt1973matt1973 Frets: 385
    +1 that's a great idea provided the comments can be moderated.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Genius idea Jooky.

If we could agree on a simple format, such as:
    Name bought from/sold me/traded guitar/amp/pedal +1

Then you get a bit more information than the current thread

Selling 3 Les Pauls is a bit different to buy 3 packs of strings, yet in the current system both would be +3

Genius idea Jooky.

If we could agree on a simple format, such as:
    Name bought from/sold me/traded guitar/amp/pedal +1

Then you get a bit more information than the current thread

Selling 3 Les Pauls is a bit different to buy 3 packs of strings, yet in the current system both would be +3
    Good point, be more useful to see the split between buys and sells.

I've got all the existing numbers up-to-date in a spreadsheet, so could do an initial post on each person's page to show what they are carrying forward too, so at least that history wouldn't be lost.

@Monquixote @Digitalscream @TTony Chaps - would this be a runner?

Doesn't seem to need any development other than perhaps changing the Activity title and clearing what is already there?

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Seems a great plan, I'm happy to do a chunk of initial posting if that'd help?

Would get rid of the confusion of Activity/PMs too, I've just had a quick look at it appears that all of that should/could have been PMs.
    Seems a great plan, I'm happy to do a chunk of initial posting if that'd help?

Would get rid of the confusion of Activity/PMs too, I've just had a quick look at it appears that all of that should/could have been PMs.
    It would definitely help, there are shed loads of them :)

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    Not ignoring this - just thinking about it.

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 131
    Really good thread and as it happens I made the mistake of posting a message on someone's wall a couple of weeks ago....stupid thing is I know to click the message tab but had a momentary lapse of reason and.........!

Is there any way of removing a message mistakenly posted on someone's wall? 
    surfguy13 said:
    Really good thread and as it happens I made the mistake of posting a message on someone's wall a couple of weeks ago....stupid thing is I know to click the message tab but had a momentary lapse of reason and.........!

If you go to the message you should be able to delete it

JookyChap said:
    surfguy13 said:

If you go to the message you should be able to delete it
    ... by pressing on the little black X that appears in the top right of the message space when you hover the cursor on the message.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    How do you delete something that another member has posted? No black cross.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    I don't think you can remove another members post / comments, PM and ask them to do it themselves or ask the mods to do it for you.  Hope that helps.

On the subject of using the profile page for sales feedback posts, it seems to me that it is far too easy to abuse.  I agree it would be less work than the current list compiling, but at least that is done in full public gaze, which makes it far harder to abuse.  Also remember the face palm wars !
    No system is perfect though  (or I would have won the lottery by now  ;)  )
    Oh - do I need to buy a ticket or something  :-S

• vizviz Frets: 10645
    @sundial - you've written something on my wall or whatever instead of pming me - feel free to delete it because I don't know how to!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    I don't think you can remove another members post / comments, 
    Seems like a flaw to me as I think the member should have control of their own wall.
    I don't think you can remove another members post / comments, 
    Seems like a flaw to me as I think the member should have control of their own wall.
    I've just checked it out.

It's an "all or nothing" situation - users can either be stopped from deleting comments posted by other peoples on their own walls, or allowed to delete.

Unfortunately, the allowed-to-delete option means that they can delete any comment from anyone's wall, which isn't quite what we want either.