Takamine en10c sell or keep ?are newer acoustics better ?

What's Hot
mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
As title
have acoustics moved on to be way better than my old japan takamine en10c with cooltube pre amp ?
Or do i sell for around £500 and go for Faith ,yamaha ,sigma ?
or will i not notice much difference?,anyone done it and regretted it or think wow big improvement?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71954
    The CoolTube Takamines are really nice in my experience. I'm not a huge fan of them normally but that particular preamp does sound very good - I have no idea if it's genuinely anything to do with the valve or not, but it is definitely possible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    are you happy with the tak?

Personally, though I haven't played a huge number of taks, the ones I have played have been really good guitars and I'd be happy owning one.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• DmlkDmlk Frets: 15
    edited May 2019
    I have this model and I find it just keeps getting better and better with age... (I have had if for at least 20 years) Mine was with the standard fisherman pickups when I bought it all those moons ago.

When I try other guitars I believe the next step up would be in the 2k/3k bracket which is not worth it for me. But you may find something different to me.

Best thing to do is play some other guitars and see if it sounds and feels better than what you have. I personal think the EN10c is a great guitar sound wise and feel.

Hope this helps
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    I'm a huge fan of Takamine guitars, personally I wouldn't offload one for a Yamaha or Sigma. I have played a couple of Faith guitars and they are very good but I would still prefer the Takamine, just my opinion of course.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Is this one with a cedar top? If so, I've played some nice Taks with cedar and I doubt you will find much better in the chinese market. I'm not a big fan of all the electronics, but if you are happy with the guitar, why change.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    What are Takamines like, I vaguely remember being told they were heavily braced, and not so good acoustically, but more sturdy than most guitars
    What are Takamines like, I vaguely remember being told they were heavily braced, and not so good acoustically, but more sturdy than most guitars
    I don't think they're particularly heavily braced, but they do have ply back & sides, which makes them less fragile as stage guitars for sure.

The main problem for me is that the older ones have that 'classic' 80s-90s piezo pickup sound when amplified - ie that weird buzzy but somehow rubbery attack, and tinny tone... I've begun to find it grates a lot - even more than it did, now there are better alternatives. The Cool Tube preamp sounds much better to me though - and I admit to being deeply sceptical before I heard one, my first reaction was that it would just be 'valve voodoo'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I have an N10 (no pickup) that I bought in the 80s. It's a great guitar, I'd never let it go. I do have a Taylor 814CE as well, but sure keeping the Taka.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
    wow thanks for all the input,i really thought it would be "miles better acoustics and pre amps now, get it sold"
    instead its these are still highly regarded ...

• DmlkDmlk Frets: 15
    They don't make them like they used too. =)

If I was getting another guitar to my EN10c I would be looking at the Taylor 814CE level of guitar (like Axisus) but that is too expensive for me.

The specs of the EN10C are still good even for today I believe:

EN10C

6 String Acoustic/Electric

Dreadnought

The most popular body shape of the past half century, the Dreadnought delivers a strong low end with plenty of volume.

Specifications

Top Solid Cedar
    Back Solid Mahogany
    Sides Mahogany
    Finger Board Rosewood
    Electronics CT4B
    Finish Gloss Natural

Good guitar sound better the older they get too.
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    I've got the non-cutaway version, bought new in 1994 from Cranes in Cardiff (not relevant, but it makes me nostalgic!!). I would never sell it and have played it on countless gigs. The only limitation with mine is the Graph-ex preamp which is a bit 'long in the tooth'. I would say with a Cool Tube, you would find it hard to better the amplified sound for less than £1000.

robwright said:
    I've got the non-cutaway version, bought new in 1994 from Cranes in Cardiff (not relevant, but it makes me nostalgic!!). I would never sell it and have played it on countless gigs. The only limitation with mine is the Graph-ex preamp which is a bit 'long in the tooth'. I would say with a Cool Tube, you would find it hard to better the amplified sound for less than £1000.
    Later Takamine preamps - although not the early ones with the brown frames - are interchangeable, so you could upgrade that to the Cool Tube.

• polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    I briefly had a recent all-solid EF360S-TT which was perfectly made and sounded superb—but sadly the neck was far too thick for my taste. Aside from that, it was one of the best dreadnoughts I’ve ever played.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
    robwright said:
    yours must be the ean10 ,the cool tube pre amp would fit (i think) around the £250 mark
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    polotska said:
    I briefly had a recent all-solid EF360S-TT which was perfectly made and sounded superb—but sadly the neck was far too thick for my taste. Aside from that, it was one of the best dreadnoughts I’ve ever played.
    I just bought the mahogany version of that, the 340. Great Guitar, monster neck right enough! My G7th trigger capo only just fits!