SORTED - Looking for Vox 'chime'

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• CastroCastro Frets: 509
    @kreggs I bought an AC10 on Reverb for £250 should arrive in a couple of days.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Nice :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    @Castro Are you able to run an 8 ohm extension cab with the AC10? Does it disconnect the internal speaker or would it work with both? 
    @camf I haven't tried an extension speaker as it is 16ohm and I only have an 8 ohm cab.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    camf said:
    @Castro Are you able to run an 8 ohm extension cab with the AC10? Does it disconnect the internal speaker or would it work with both?
    Castro said:
    @camf I haven't tried an extension speaker as it is 16ohm and I only have an 8 ohm cab.
    I can't remember, although I think it does - no risk in trying it to see if you don't crank the amp right up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

P.S. @camf if you plug in a 16ohm cab it does disconnect the internal speaker.
    Cheers @Castro. @ICBM, do you think an AC10C1 could be nodded to run an 8 ohm cab with the internal speaker? Or would it always be as an alternative? I’d like to be able to use my 8 ohm 12” Blue along with it if possible. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    camf said:
    Cheers @Castro. @ICBM, do you think an AC10C1 could be nodded to run an 8 ohm cab with the internal speaker? Or would it always be as an alternative? I’d like to be able to use my 8 ohm 12” Blue along with it if possible. 
    You could run the extension cab in series, which would give a 24-ohm load - a safe mismatch for a 16-ohm amp. It should be easy to rewire the jack if it's not PCB-mounted - I can't remember that either!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

The other option I’m wondering about would be tracking down an AC15 head. Costs a bit more and a bit heavier too.
  • MarshallMarshall Frets: 362
    camf said:
    The other option I’m wondering about would be tracking down an AC15 head. Costs a bit more and a bit heavier too.
    May not be relevant/of interest but I recently picked up a 2nd hand NT15H which is discontinued (I think there’s a newer version that’s quite different) for under £200 and although it needed a repair (which the seller paid for) I’m now amazed at how much loud and clean Vox chime I get with it plugged into a 1x10 Alnico 50w cab. Even maxed on the volume knob and boosted with an ep booster also maxed it remains almost totally  clean and incredibly loud with single coils for 15w. Perhaps more importantly it’s classic Vox sparkly/chimey all the way! It is surprisingly heavy for a ‘lunch box’ style head. 

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest