DIY solution for altering pickup cavity routing

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
edited May 2019 in Making & Modding
I have a Telecaster originally routed for a Wide Range humbucker.  I'd like to use a conventional humbucker though...

The problem is the distance between the pickup legs / mounting screws.  The traditional humbucker being slightly narrower, the routing for the legs and screws of the will need to come in by about 5mm on each side.

The pickup cavity is routed with the deeper furrows at the edges 87mm apart, and the legs/screws of my traditional humbucker  will impinge on the central (relatively elevated) flat floor of the pickup cavity.

Inter-Mounting Screws Distance
WR Humbucker: 87mm
Conventional Humbucker: 77mm

Short of getting it properly routed, is there a simple DIY solution please?

In the picture, I've fitted a pick guard that's the correct size for a traditional humbucker (there's a bit of an overhang). But there's wood in the way of where the pickup legs / screws will go.

Expert opinions deeply appreciated...

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/rKsLQRi.jpg)
Jay
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Chisel?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    edited May 2019
    Drill a single hole where the screws go. You have lots of wood behind there. Mark depth on a piece of masking tape on the drill bit.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    Drill a single hole where the screws go. You have lots of wood behind there. Mark depth on a piece of masking tape on the drill bit.
    and if the hole isn't quite in the right place, drill another one. As long as it doesn't end up looking like my Strat here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/382548/#Comment_382548 you'll be fine - but even there all the sins are hidden under the pickguard.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    As already said, if it's just the screws that will hit the wood you just need to drill two holes to allow them to go in further - make them quite a lot bigger than the screws so placement is not critical and they don't try to tip the pickup at an angle.

If it's the feet of the pickup base itself it's a bigger problem and you will need a chisel, small mallet and a bit of care to chop out the right shape recess.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
    Thanks chaps for all your useful observations and suggestions...

A sharp chisel and a mallet it shall be...
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    I’d sooner find a friend with a router than take a chisel to it tbh. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    There is an argument for enlarging the cavity to the same proportions as the one-size-fits-all rout found on the Fender MIM Standard Telecaster. That way, any pickup change you desire in future requires only a scratchplate change.
    Be seeing you.
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited May 2019
    +1 one on the pal with router.. where are you based? there could be a FB'er near you :0
    I'm in Gorleston - actually Rexter is a good friend and lives about 30 miles away, and he's been very supportive.

It's just that he's very busy and I don't wish to bother him with silly little jobs when he's doing far more serious re-finishing work...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    If you're at all competent with tools, doing this with a chisel is a lot easier and almost certainly safer than doing it with a router.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

edited May 2019
    ICBM said:
    If you're at all competent with tools, doing this with a chisel is a lot easier and almost certainly safer than doing it with a router.
     Thanks John -  that’s very reassuring for me.

I’m an eye surgeon, I think I’ll be okay...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27341
    You've probably got this sorted by now, but if not (and if you're around over the weekend) you're welcome to pop over.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Thanks Tony for your kind offer - all sorted now :-)