Laney IRT into Power Amp?

JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
So, looking at my IRT Studio, I was wondering if it would be possible to put that into a power amp to boost the volume so I could use it for bigger gigs etc?

I guess I could google this but Im fried after last night gigs lol

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26450
    That's how Fred Brum does it sometimes (don't know if you've heard of him). He takes the un-emulated output (which is an attenuated version of the full preamp + power amp signal) straight into a Matrix GT1000FX and then into the cab of his choice. Apparently it sounds glorious.

The only variable it would be missing is the interaction between the power amp output and the varying load of the speakers, I guess.
    <space for hire>
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    Ahh, Iknow of Mr Brum.. 
    Seen the video, sounds good! It would be an emulated out then, nes pa?
    For live stuff, he doesn't use the emulated out (I believe you use the same output socket, but switch the cab emulation off). Then feed it into the power amp and into a real cab, and you're sorted.

He told me he doesn't use the built-in cab emulation for recording either; apparently (and not surprisingly) it works immeasurably better using cab impulses.
    <space for hire>
    Ahh, gotcha. Its an XLR output (labelled DI) which would then go a power amp and then into my Mesa Boogie 1 x 12, for example.. 

As the Laney doesnt have a master volume then, I could set my clean channel volume so I get the clean headroom I like and use the power amps volume to increase it then, Id guess?
    Jetfire said:
    Ahh, gotcha. Its an XLR output (labelled DI) which would then go a power amp and then into my Mesa Boogie 1 x 12, for example.. 

As the Laney doesnt have a master volume then, I could set my clean channel volume so I get the clean headroom I like and use the power amps volume to increase it then, Id guess?
    Yes, precisely that :)
    <space for hire>
    Hell you're good!
  • Now I want one to feed into my bandit.

I might actually go to a shop and try this.