The Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive does a really good boost thread

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 456
So SD-2 Dual Drive users, using the green crunch channel has anyone tried the level on max with both the drive & tone at about 9-10 o'clock? I get a lovely smooth boosted drive tone, just a hint of grit but it works really for single note playing.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 653
    Into another drive pedal? I can never set any of my pedals level to max - must be because I have my amps/other pedals set with high headroom - as things always end up blaring
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 456
    Hi @smudge_lad nope, just the SD-2 unless the level of SD-2 is borked somehow? But I was going through some terrible rehearsal room Marshall set squeaky clean but not overly loud will photograph settings next time round, the level was maxed on my SD-2 with the drive about 9-10 o’clock it gave me a lovely slightly overdriven gritty clean boost, really pleasing on ears, again this is subjective but I was really pleased with it and it cut through nicely IMHO.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    What guitar were you using? I like the sound of this sound 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    joetele said:
    K-Line San Bernadino (Jazzmaster Style) with Klein P90's, 
    joetele said:
    K-Line San Bernadino (Jazzmaster Style) with Klein P90's.

Hi @smudge_lad nope, just the SD-2 unless the level of SD-2 is borked somehow? But I was going through some terrible rehearsal room Marshall set squeaky clean but not overly loud will photograph settings next time round, the level was maxed on my SD-2 with the drive about 9-10 o’clock it gave me a lovely slightly overdriven gritty clean boost, really pleasing on ears, again this is subjective but I was really pleased with it and it cut through nicely IMHO.

If I went straight into my clean Marshall (100watt) with an OD pedal at max volume, I'd probably die :)

I will try it out later though and see how I get on

Here were the settings on the Marshall head in question, it did a great job, I try not to set the amp too loud in rehearsal and have it set clean, I let the pedals do the work.
    I’m really not technical enough to explain this to you guys but this is what I like about boss overdrives, SD-2 and even OD-2 seem easy to control in a live or rehearsal environment, my old Zvex Double Rock was a different animal, a bloody nightmare! mass of feedback, too bassy and finicky, maybe because it had too much headroom but I couldn’t tame the f@@ker or get a sound I was happy with, The SD-2 is probably the best simple all-in-one solution. The settings on the SD-2 also work nicely on my Princeton, I’ve created a sound that I enjoy using. All we need now is a TPS demo of Dan’s SD-2.

If I went straight into my clean Marshall (100watt) with an OD pedal at max volume, I'd probably die :)

I will try it out later though and see how I get on

Again! unless there’s something going on with my SD-2? I use these exact same settings on my Princeton for home use and it sounds great. Coincidentally I found a thread on another forum where someone was waxing lyrically about the same settings. 

Seems to work fine in my usual settings, everything around noon.

Will report back :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Will report back

I have just purchased an EP booster, so I'm hoping I can add a little extra magic and fatness to the SD-2 tone, especially for the red lead channel.  

Will report back :)

Will be interested to hear findings, just add a bit of drive, however! I’m sure I’ve gone up to twelve o’clock on drive and then backed off on tone a little, but make sure amp isn’t set too loud lol! Great for single note playing, notes seem to ring out beautifully not saturated but lovely and clear. I was doing some wonderful Mogwai type stuff ‘kids will be skeletons’  and looping with the DD-7.

So, had a quick go with this over the weekend - it does sound ace, but would need to lower the level to get closer to unity volume for me.

It's a great, great pedal!

So, had a quick go with this over the weekend - it does sound ace, but would need to lower the level to get closer to unity volume for me.

That's brilliant! I used mine again yesterday through the Princeton, it's such a good pedal isn't it? I tried it with an EP booster after it and it sounded even better just thicker sounding, but I still have a hankering for the Thorpy Warthog for leads or the Boss Angry Driver just to compare with the SD-2.

That's brilliant! I used mine again yesterday through the Princeton, it's such a good pedal isn't it? I tried it with an EP booster after it and it sounded even better just thicker sounding, but I still have a hankering for the Thorpy Warthog for leads or the Boss Angry Driver just to compare with the SD-2.

I have just had a PM from Adrian advising that I will have a Warthog winging it's way to me this week ;)

I have just had a PM from Adrian advising that I will have a Warthog winging it's way to me this week ;)

that's awesome!

Incoming Warthog!

Incoming Warthog!
    Nice. Mine arrives tomorrow.

Gonna use the Sd-2 in above settings at practise tonight and see how it goes
    Excellent results last night, front of the chain into solid state Marshall set clean, and also into my Stomp. It’s a shame to leave the pedal in this setting since the low gain mode is so good.

Might need to buy another one....
    Excellent results last night, front of the chain into solid state Marshall set clean, and also into my Stomp. It’s a shame to leave the pedal in this setting since the low gain mode is so good.

Might need to buy another one....
    It’s superb isn’t it, really sparkly! tiny bit of hair, thick, really hard to describe.  I rate it better than my old RYRA, I love to utilise the overdrive on the green channel too.

I remember the rehearsal when I picked up on this, I powered up my board and didn’t realise the SD-2 was already powered up on crunch channel. The Marshall was set clean then I started strumming, I remember thinking bloody wow! for a solid state this Marshall sounds amazing - such a lovely subtle crunch with real presence. Just to let you know I also set the lead/red channel the same as green channel. Level maxed/drive down. Buying two is a great idea.