NGD: Fender American Original 50s Telecaster

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• grayngrayn Frets: 870
    That looks lovely - HNGD!
    I'm hankering after a tele myself..does the nitro finished fretboard feel much different to the lacquer on a typical Fender maple gloss finish, i.e. a Baja or American Pro? I struggle a bit with the 'stickiness' of some maple boards, but I think they look fantastic.  I need to try an AO50s, looking at this thread, so that means a road trip  :)  
    The finish on the fretboard is nothing like the thick varnish you used to get on some Fender maple boards or indeed Rickenbackers.  The fingerboard isn't all shiny, at all.  No stickiness to my fingers.
    Good luck with the road trip.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Looks great, enjoy it.
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 880
    Congratulations, that looks great. 
    I am looking for another T-style and am finding there is too much choice. The American Original Fenders are definitely on the short list.
    How chunky is the neck? Can anyone compare and contrast it to a Nocaster 52 U profile.  I tried one for a very short time and don't think I could adapt.  Is the AO 50s neck as big as a 52 U profile?

• AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 475
    That looks lovely, the American Original series gets some great reviews. I like the 9.5 radius personally, I sometimes wish my Roadworn had this instead of a 7.25.
  • grayngrayn Frets: 870
    Never had the pleasure of playing the Nocaster 52.
    Mine does have quite a chunky neck though.
    i love it but it might deter some.
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Congratulations, that looks great. 
    I am looking for another T-style and am finding there is too much choice. The American Original Fenders are definitely on the short list.
    How chunky is the neck? Can anyone compare and contrast it to a Nocaster 52 U profile.  I tried one for a very short time and don't think I could adapt.  Is the AO 50s neck as big as a 52 U profile?

There's one on Wildwood now showing measurements of .92-.1.02 if that helps.  I don't really understand how much use these figures are though because it seems the shoulders have a huge effect on the feel, more so than these measurements alone. 
    My Bernie Marsden (well, other people's actually, I don't own any calipers to have measured my own!) seems to be in the .87-.98 sort of range from what I see online, and whilst I like it I don't think it felt anything like as big as the AO50s I tried in a shop ages ago.  Need to try another AO50s (and indeed 60s) to refresh my memory, but the Bernie is more like a sort of V by the nut, if I'm describing that correctly, whereas the AO50s struck me (at the time) as feeling way bigger / fuller at the nut, though not so different the further up you went.  Hard to describe necks, I think, and probably not much value in it.  I'm more interested in the nitro finish as I don't like the draggy feel of a glossy maple fretboard much. Road trip it is!
  • markjmarkj Frets: 911
    If anyone’s interested I might be selling mine.
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    markj said:
    If anyone’s interested I might be selling mine.
    Thanks Mark. Need to try one out before extending my interest.
  • adam1990adam1990 Frets: 31
    Congratulations on the AO Tele. I have the LPB 60's version and I must say its the best Tele Ive ever played!