Pickguard plastic molecules breakdown into sticky goo - with solution.

What's Hot
Today, some odd kind of chemical wizardry took place, which still has me baffled as to how it is possible, so thought I'd share it in case it helps someone else.

I recently bought, and received today a 2012 American Telecaster, which had been stuck under a bed in its case since new. The original owner never even took it out the case. Whilst I was changing the strings, I peeled the plastic film off the Pickguard, only to find that the pickguard had some strange reaction and initially turned tacky and sticky.

The more I tried to wipe it the worse it got. Ran it under a tap with some soap, and the thing just turned into a sticky gooey mess. Just touching it left sunken finger prints in the plastic, It was fit for nothing but the bin.

Made up my mind just to buy a replacement, but before I did, I thought I'd google it, and got a hit or two for lighter fluid or WD40.

Well, I tried WD40, sprayed on, rubbed all over, and I've never seen anything like it. Pickguard looks brand spanking new. I mean brand new, no marks, no signs of any issues whatsoever. It's so pristine that the whole thing has left me just baffled.

Chemical wizardry that I don't claim to understand, but saying the WD40 worked is an understatement.

Hope this helps someone.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7011
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader
    The sticky stuff is just the adhesive holding the protective film. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    WD-40 is also great for removing masking tape that's bonded onto your windows because a lazy painter didn't take it off. Apparently.
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    I agree with @SteveRobinson, just sounds like old glue. WD40 works but lighter fluid would be better, you just have to work faster because it rapidly evaporates. 
    I use it a lot at work for getting glue off mirrors and glass furniture, a bloody sight cheaper than Sticky Stuff Remover!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    See signature.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom