Potting humbucker coils

What's Hot
So I've aquired an unpotted Gibson Burstbucker that I need to transplant onto a short legged baseplate. I want to pot the coils so do I pot each coil separately and then a quick dip to secure them to the magnet and baseplate, or mount them and pot the whole assembly? 
If it is the former, I presume for safety's sake that I should leave the paper tape on.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
    tFB Trader
    I'd mount the coils and pot everything together ... a swift ten minutes in the soup so as not to deaden the coils too much.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    edited May 2019
    Thanks Ash. 
    I did it the other night without killing the pickup

I used a car sweet tin filled with wax melted in my daughter's wax melter, did the coils first and then dunked the whole lot back in for a few seconds.
    tFB Trader
    normula1 said:
    Thanks Ash. 

I used a car sweet tin filled with wax melted in my daughter's wax melter, did the coils first and then dunked the whole lot back in for a few seconds.
    We use beauty salon wax treatment baths intended for feet and elbows! They hold about five litres of wax, and with their heater elements 'flat out' they are perfect for the job ... allowing us to pot about 10 pickups at a time.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    normula1 said:
    Thanks Ash. 

We use beauty salon wax treatment baths intended for feet and elbows! They hold about five litres of wax, and with their heater elements 'flat out' they are perfect for the job ... allowing us to pot about 10 pickups at a time.  
    Is that what gives you pickups soul?

Out of interest, what was do you use? Candle/paraffin wax or something else? Not that I'm suggesting you would but is there a market for tonewax?
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    tFB Trader
    Sesh said:
    normula1 said:
    Thanks Ash. 

Is that what gives you pickups soul?

Out of interest, what was do you use? Candle/paraffin wax or something else? Not that I'm suggesting you would but is there a market for tonewax?
    There's been quite a lot of talk between pickup makers about what wax blends are best. Many have opted for a beeswax/paraffin wax blend .. for the melting point flexibility. We use a pure paraffin wax after requests from vegan customers. Yes ...totally serious about that, our pickups are vegan friendly ... plus pure paraffin wax seems to hold components well without deadening everything.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    I found pickups potted in beeswax a bit buzzy.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom