First time pedal kit build?

What's Hot
Love the idea of modding pedals and hate not knowing how!

Figure the best way to start is to buy a kit fuzz or something and build from scratch, any recommendations on what to get and where from?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    What's your soldering skills like?  If your soldering is fine head to fuzzdogs pedal parts and Lee will sort you out with a full kit for practically any pedal you could want.  Pick a booster or an OD for your first build they're a bit easier to get right than delay or modulation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Agree with Adam_MD, try something like this

or
    or one of the many other designs on there!

If you're just starting out it is probably easiest to go for a full kit (including the pre-drilled enclosure).

freestompboxes and diystompboxes have plenty of info if/once you're wanting to go beyond kits.

Have fun :)
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I did fuzz dogs 'Noisy cricket ' amp build kit, with all the bells and whistles, (including enclosure)
    took a few spare telecaster knobs to finish it off, and wish I'd took pics, but when I plugged it into a 4x12 marshall cab, I forgot all about cameras.
    I was amazed it worked, and it worked amazing, 
    Wasn't too hard, but I did wish I had a better soldering iron, and I made the classic mistake of soldering on the 9v dc socket  before fitting it to the box, kicked myself hard for that.
    good fun, and a bit different from a pedal--it is an amp ( actually really good sounding ) in a pedal, but great learning experience.
    good luck whatever.
    cheers
    andy k
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26951
    Big +1 for PedalParts/Fuzzdog kits. They're very good quality, well laid out and good fun. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Thanks guys. 

I've had a mooch around the Fuzzdog site and am probably going to start with a Fuzz Face just as soon as my wages hit the bank, one of the easier ones by the looks and the added bonus of being a pedal I've always wanted but been put off by the "non pedal board" friendliness! 
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I'd go for a Tubescreamer kit and then google "the anatomy of the Tubescreamer". There's so many mods you can do, such as swapping the clipping diodes, playing around with the filter cap values, trying different op amps, etc.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    I'd go for a Tubescreamer kit and then google "the anatomy of the Tubescreamer". There's so many mods you can do, such as swapping the clipping diodes, playing around with the filter cap values, trying different op amps, etc.
    I was only thinking of the fuzz as I don't have a fuzz but I do have a TS.
    edited May 2019
    Thread deviation but its my thread so.....

Best place to buy a half decent soldering iron? I've 2 cheap n cheerful (a 30w and a 40w) but getting tips is a bit hit and miss. I just want to buy a good one and be done with it!

IGNORE THIS, I'VE MANAGED TO FIND THE "SOLDERING IRON" THREAD! :) 
    Here we go then!