Anyone used tape around string ferrules?

lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
edited May 2019 in Making & Modding
I have vintage tuners but the ferrules are too small so I was wondering if anyone had success with tpfe or electrical tape etc to get them to fit?

The ferrules that came on the neck ( no tuners just ferrules) I am trying fit tuners to are too bulky and my kluson style posts wont fit through..

I know I can buy some but these tuners are aged and it would be hard to match the up
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    Is it for Tele/Strat - I've got a couple of sets of aged ferrules I think of different thicknesses, you want me to post them to you to try?
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    munckee said:
    Is it for Tele/Strat - I've got a couple of sets of aged ferrules I think of different thicknesses, you want me to post them to you to try?
    Nice one Adam - community spirit :+1: +1:

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    I use masking tape, both on tuner ferrules and the ones on the back of Telecasters, if they’re not tight enough to stay in by themselves. But only if they’re very close to a good fit. If they’re much too loose you just need ferrules that fit better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    I use masking tape, both on tuner ferrules and the ones on the back of Telecasters, if they’re not tight enough to stay in by themselves. But only if they’re very close to a good fit. If they’re much too loose you just need ferrules that fit better.
    :+1: 
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Tape works ok for string-through ferrules as the string tension pulls them into the hole. However for peghead bushes tape can compress too much and the bushes may move so (assuming you can't find tuner bushes the correct size) cut up an aluminium drink can to make sleeves. That will give a firm fit with little chance of compressing/working loose.

Tape works ok for string-through ferrules as the string tension pulls them into the hole. However for peghead bushes tape can compress too much and the bushes may move so (assuming you can't find tuner bushes the correct size) cut up an aluminium drink can to make sleeves. That will give a firm fit with little chance of compressing/working loose.

Wow never heard that before! Or... click the link and buy some ones that actually fit  =)  Think there will be a little order coming your way soon :+1: 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Wow never heard that before!
    It's actually an old roadside-mechanic fix for worn parts or ones that just don't fit tightly enough :). It works very well, in fact.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson