SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Bassist with Logic Pro X for interweb collab?????

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5594

OK, this is potentially personally dangerous for several reason but………….

I can’t play bass for toffee, I have much respect for anyone who is adept with the bass guitar. 

Might there be any bassists within these hallowed halls who have Logic Pro X and who might be up a bit of over-the-interweb collaboration?

Warning:   

• My ideas will probably certainly suck, and most of them are just that – ideas, not finished songs or even finished arrangements.
  • I’m not at all any good at music production or engineering within Logic.
  • I don’t play particularly well.
  • I have limited time to do anything at all so progress might be sloooooow.
  • Most of my ideas are on the softer end of blues/rock.
  • Did I mention that I suck?

If anyone is still interested I’m willing to send some ideas, you can listen and laugh and tell me to bog off, or you can cut and paste things around a bit and lay down some basslines. For most of my ideas I don’t have fixed basslines in mind so there’s pretty much free reign to do what you think fits the idea. 

I’m also willing to have people tell me “I think it would be good if you could do this with the guitars……..” etc.

In return I’m willing to add my laughable guitar skills to any tracks you might have but all the above warnings still stand. I’m very nervous about this – letting my ideas out into the world for others to hear and criticise is a daunting prospect.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1012
    @Haych, I have just listened to your sound cloud recordings, nothing wrong with them at all. If you export the tracks as Wav files then anyone can contribute to your recordings. Stick the files on Dropbox with the chords and I am sure that a few of us can try some bass lines. All you need to do is then import the Bass wav back into Logic.... easy 

“Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    PS I like the Rough Demo WIP
    “Ken sent me.”
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5594
    PS I like the Rough Demo WIP
    Shit! Forgot that was there. 

Thanks, but I wish it was half as good as it is in my head lol. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    I have Logic Pro X 10.4.4 and numerous bass instruments.

I already do long-distance music projects with somebody I have known since school. 

You are probably going to need Dropbox to send and receive complete Logic Project folders.

Be seeing you.
    I can do Dropbox. It’s not complicated, is it? I don’t think it is in any case. 

Haych said:
    I can do Dropbox. It’s not complicated, is it? I don’t think it is in any case. 
    Easy create a folder on dropbox and then share the link, we record bass or in my case the cat screaming and either upload to the folder or send you a link . Download the file and import back into Logic. 

Nice and easy :) 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I'd be happy doing some of these, it would be a good challenge for me too, trying to write new basslines rather than learning existing ones. I've done a few for my own songs. 

.wav files would be what I need though as I don't use logic. I am proficient with dropbox  :) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Share the same Project with several collaborators. Give yourself the choice of several alternate bass lines.

Your existing music can be as precise or as vague as you like. If it is precise, this will steer the guest bassist towards a part that fits the existing arrangement. If the music is skeletal and/or nebulous, guest contributors have more freedom for self-expression. You can then record new or additional guitar parts to suit the backing.

The person with whom I collaborate remotely sometimes sketches in a guide bass part either on guitar or using a MIDI keyboard to trigger the built-in Logic instruments. It helps to know whether he wants something high register or low, busy or sparse.

Be seeing you.
    Share the same Project with several collaborators. Give yourself the choice of several alternate bass lines.

Your existing music can be as precise or as vague as you like. If it is precise, this will steer the guest bassist towards a part that fits the existing arrangement. If the music is skeletal and/or nebulous, guest contributors have more freedom for self-expression. You can then record new or additional guitar parts to suit the backing.

The person with whom I collaborate remotely sometimes sketches in a guide bass part either on guitar or using a MIDI keyboard to trigger the built-in Logic instruments. It helps to know whether he wants something high register or low, busy or sparse.

Sounds good enough to me. Like I stated before, time and opportunity is my real enemy. I’ll try to get a drop-box thing set up over the weekend and will add some files to it. 

I assume MP3 or WAV is the way to go?

The other reason I ideally wanted somebody with Logic to get involved was so they could take an objective view and perhaps cut and paste parts around, screw about with the drummer tracks and adjust and tweak other bits etc if they thought it might make the idea better. 

Im happy to go with the idea of dropping MP3s or whatever though, everything is an evolution after all. 

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    If you drop wav files, they can be imported into any daw. 

Incidentally, I'd be happy recording drum tracks too ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    This is true. Unfortunately, it will require Haych to export any MIDI instruments as audio regions. 

Staying within Apple Logic will avoid that chore. Also, if another Logic user were to perform Time Stretch or Tempo Map edits, Haych retains the option to adjust, undo or cancel them.

Haych said:
    The other reason I ideally wanted somebody with Logic to get involved was so they could ... screw about with the Drummer tracks  
    How sophisticated is your use of Logic Drummer? Do you make much use of its editing pages? Do you ever change the presentation mode of the Drummer Track from the mustard yellow wedges to a MIDI Note data grid editor?
    Be seeing you.
    This is true. Unfortunately, it will require Haych to export any MIDI instruments as audio regions. 

Staying within Apple Logic will avoid that chore. Also, if another Logic user were to perform Time Stretch or Tempo Map edits, Haych retains the option to adjust, undo or cancel them.

Haych said:
    The other reason I ideally wanted somebody with Logic to get involved was so they could ... screw about with the Drummer tracks  
    How sophisticated is your use of Logic Drummer? Do you make much use of its editing pages? Do you ever change the presentation mode of the Drummer Track from the mustard yellow wedges to a MIDI Note data grid editor?
    I don’t dick around with the drummer too much beyond finding a decent drummer and pattern that fits with what I’m trying to do. I have occasionally edited the midi but not often. 

Reason I don’t do much with drummer is a.) time - it can be consuming editing drums and making them perfect and, b.) it’s probably the last thing I’d do to a song and as I’ve not often got beyond the ideas stage it wouldn’t be productive use of my effort. 

If you've heard any of my attempts at recording anything you’d quickly understand that I’m an amateur’s amateur with Logic, it’s all very rough. 

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2019
    Accepting .wav stem files will widen the pool, coz Apple sux    o  3 

This may have some advantages too, as people can send a DI track and/or a processed track, and you may not have the same plugins/hardware.

This is also how the pro's do it    
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Freebird said:
    Apple sux    o  3   
    How exactly does this assertion help the OP?  :)  =)  ;)  :/  :o  :s  :p  :'(  B)  :#  :3  <3
    Be seeing you.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2019
    Freebird said:
    Apple sux    o  3   
    How exactly does this assertion help the OP?          o  s  p    B    3  3
    It was shorthand for many people use Windows computers and don't have Logic Pro X 

From a recent survey it's by quite a large margin too, so I was just suggesting that the OP cast his net a bit wider, and reach out to the Windows crowd as well.

I have logic, but not that kind of Logic 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.