POSTPONED Acoustic Gear-Jam: 21st July : all-day get-together in Swindon

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
edited July 2019 in Events
**UPDATE 2 - Updated to add thoughts on format, and add venue **

1. It's acoustic. Why? A few benefits, including flexibility of venue if needed, the fact that more than one thing can be happening at opposite corners of the (large) room at once if need be, and no reliance on availability of PA or need to have it working. Plus, it's just nice :-) 

2. It's not just a jam. Why? I think mores in acoustic-land it can be hard to see, hear and experience interesting gear (shops well stocked with interesting electric gear are common, acoustic stuff less so), or just types of gear you don't come across every day, and I reckon our fine forum members probably have lots of interesting things, and I'd like to facilitate spreading that knowledge and interest. 

3. Performance is part of it, but not compulsory or expected. Why? Becuase it's ace to see acoustic music performed, even moreso with multiple performers, but not everyone feels like they are ready. But they may be another time. With support :-) 

4. Yes you can play that tune you love to perform. Why? Why not?

5. Yes we will suggest a few tunes/particular arrangements of tunes that we can each practice and try to perform together. Why? Because that will be fun, and those with flying fingers can have at it, and those with more basic accomplishments can join in too. Kum-bye-motherfuckin'-ahh man 

6. Gear: if it's acoustic and vaguely guitar-shaped, feel free to bring it. But not a drum kit, smartarse ;-) . I for one would be interested to see/hear/try acoustic guitar amplification gear, so bring those too if ou like, but don't expect that we'll be making amplified levels of noise all day - I don't think that fits in with the vibe - it's an addendum, not the main thing.

Venue is Western Audio in Swindon 

https://www.westernaudiorecording.com/contact-us

UPDATE 1:

Date has now been pencilled-in for Sunday 21st July, based on that being the date with the most people free at the time of booking.

Those who said they were up for it and could make that date are:

Darren
fretfinder
fishfingers
mgaw
danishbacon
jalapeno
me 

so that's the current tentative attendee list. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Orginal post:

Poll for dates now here:

https://doodle.com/poll/wwxp3i3tvqzhukf5

d like to do an acoustic-only thing and have a great venue here in sunny Swindon (it's actually the place that Stuart Ryan records some of his online tution stuff.

For the VERY old and bold who remember it I'm thinking something akin to the event in the big village hall we did outside Swindon years ago - where it was a mix of show-and-tell about and have-a-go on each others gear as well as some playing. 

Venue is a big (700sqft) studio live room that is actually pleasent not a foam-lined sweatbox and it is a couple of minutes from McDs/Aldi/Pizza Hut to serve any lunchtime or other sustenance needs. 

I'm thinking take the room for a full day (date based on people's preferences) and gather a load of interesting instruments and acoustic-associated equipment in one place for general nerdery and fun.

If I only get 3 or 4 interested I'm still doing it.
And if 20 want to come that'll work just as well.

If you're interested let me.know below and the sooner people shouts dates they can't (or prefer to) do the simpler it'll be :-)

Cheers
Tim
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Tagging a few people who Ive mentioned this to in the past 

@Lewy @noisepolluter @VimFuego @Jalapeno  @bertie  
    Red ones are better. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Yep, avoiding end June /early July, I'm definitely in.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    You'll have to get Bert via FB - he bailed from here a couple of years back.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    Sounds interesting. It's a little bit far for me at the mo (live in Scotland) but, there's a possibility I may be on secondment to the Coventry office later in the year so it might work out.
    Chris_J said:
    Sounds interesting. It's a little bit far for me at the mo (live in Scotland) but, there's a possibility I may be on secondment to the Coventry office later in the year so it might work out.
    Cool. Coventry is still a schlep though. 

Swindon is an hour's train out of London but it can get expensive that way 
    Red ones are better. 
    Jalapeno said:
    You'll have to get Bert via FB - he bailed from here a couple of years back.
    Cheers I've pinged him there 
    Red ones are better. 
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
    edited May 2019
    I’d be interested. The event will need a slightly scruffy J45 present to counterbalance all the sapient-bog-cactuswood-mini-grand-lute-OOOOOOM shenanigans.

Away last week August/1st week September, can’t do 1st weekend in July either, but otherwise around  
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Yes subject to summer hols :) I was trying to get something similar but was struggling with a venue 
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 295
    I'd be up for this. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Possibly...its about 2hrs for me, whats the actual postcode... 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    could be up for this also....away end of August for a couple of weeks
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    I'm probably out of circulation for the summer at least. Mrs F is in surgery right now (her cancer's back) so she'll still be convalescent for a good few months, and I haven't picked up an instrument for about 3 months now, so rusty as anything. 
    Autumn may work better for me, possibly.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    I'm keen. Have two acoustics and my double bass to bring along with for some tunes.
    spark240 said:
    it's SN5 7YS @spark240 ;
    Red ones are better. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    edited May 2019
    TimmyO said:
    spark240 said:
    it's SN5 7YS @spark240 ;;;
    That the right side for me...about 1hr 45min....keep me posted on dates....whats sort of songs you thinking?

Im all sort from Beatles to Foo fighters, Crowded house, U2, Supertramp, Snow Patrol, Squeeze, ...well anything you like really ..-)   

Can probably rally a couple of other to attend also if we are short on numbers ( one will sing as well)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • fishfingersfishfingers Frets: 103
    Sounds fun, I'd love to come. 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Not too far from me :)
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    I'm interested. I'm gigging or otherwise engaged every Saturday from now until late September, but a lot of them have late enough starts that I could come to a daytime meet beforehand.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Sounds interesting, would love to compare my J-35 to other acoustics, depending when, obviously. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3614
    What's the format of these events? And what standard of playing is expected? - I've only been playing seriously a few months.