P90 Routing - perpendicular to the strings...

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
edited May 2019 in Making & Modding

I find that on my Les Paul P90 Burst the routing for the pickup cavities is quite tight and routed perpendicular to the body (rather than perpendicular to the strings).

The superior surface of the pickups are therefore not parallel to the strings - and it looks a little odd.

Cosmetically, I do wish they were (particularly the neck pickup), but in practical terms does it make a difference? 

I ask because it will require significant routing to remedy what might well be a non-issue...

Pics:

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/3ZOyeks.jpg)

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/aI6G5d5.jpg)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    It makes no difference in practical terms.

To fix it you'd need to carefully 'undercut' the side wall on the bridge side of the cavity, and move the screw holes slightly. Not that much work, but a bit tricky.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
    Thanks John...moving the screw holes would be a pain. But apparently some P90s are designed so as to pivot / tilt on the fixing screws.

I'll explore the undercutting option - probably not worth the effort though...
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    That's why i route mine on the neck plane angle on an overhead router on my jigs and always looks better to me 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
    I suppose with 'uni-polar' pickups like P90, the differences are cosmetic rather than functional.

With a 'bi-polar' humbucker, one would intuitively desire both coils to be the same distance from the strings. There again, we hear about asymmetrical coil windings - perhaps a tilted humbucker will achieve something similar tonally... :-))