The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    The English bowling attack worries me a bit - All to predictable - Especially when you look at the bowling attack of the other teams - We are almost 'to easy to read' - Not enough flair, mystery or guile at times
    There's not much mystery or guile to the West Indies attack but people seem to be praising them to bits.

With the weather as it is, you don't necessarily have to have 15 flavours of flare and guile. The ball will do enough and we have two capable spinners. 

And Archer's banged down a 95mph delivery in bloody Cardiff. If you can get that sort of pace on that shithouse wicket, roll on some quicker wickets please. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    The Bangles are really enjoying facing Archer. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    Decent win for England yesterday, not the best bowling performance and a couple of mistakes in the field, but a win with a good solid batting total.

Good match today: Aus vs India.

edited June 2019
    India 292-2 with 6 overs to go, Aussie bowlers struggling against the supreme India batting openers, they look in great nick.

The Oval is a sea of blue shirts, drumming, chanting and singing from the rampant India fans, looks a terrific atmosphere.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Fifth incidence in this tournament (!) of stumps being hit but bails not falling!  WTF?

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    never mind that.  Who was playing Alright Now on the bat guitar?  I only caught a glimpse earlier
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Not enough boos for Steve Smith. Disappointing. 

No chance of the criminals winning this match. 
    Nitefly said:
    Fifth incidence in this tournament (!) of stumps being hit but bails not falling!  WTF?

I know, not right is it?

cj73 said:
    never mind that.  Who was playing Alright Now on the bat guitar?  I only caught a glimpse earlier
    They seem to have a live guitar player at all matches, I can't find out much about this though, I did see the cricket bat Telecaster on the Sky Sports coverage though, they showed Mick Jagger & Charlie Watts in the stand at The Oval watching and he played 'Satisfaction' at the next break! 

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    What on earth was David Warner on today? He single-handedly lost that match for the Aussies (although shit bowling from Zampa and Starc didn't help).
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    I think the weather may have a significant part to play in some matches in the next week.

Of course, it won't bother Warner and Smith, they like it wet and dry.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096

The bowling is the Aussie trump card, no question, and it revolves around the opening attack. Decent spin options, some alright first change seamers. 

The batting is not solid though. They were 38 for 4, 79 for 5, and 147 for 6, and then got bailed out by a guy hitting his highest score in any form of cricket. Warner and Smith are the big guns, everyone else is a bit erratic. Glenn Maxwell may or may not fire, and you're just waiting for Shaun Marsh to come back into the side yet again... 

Of that Aussie top six, who would get into the current England side and replacing whom? Roy and JYB beat the Aussie openers, Root beats Khawaja, Buttler versus Smith at 4 is surely a draw, Morgan beats Maxwell at 5, Stokes over Stoinis... 

The Aussies might just hold the edge over us with the ball but with the bat we're ahead. 

What this guy said. Right down to Shaun Marsh being back in the side for the Pakistan match. 

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    Pakistan seem to out Pakistan in today's match.  One moment they look hopeless, then like a light switch they seem to be fantastic once again.  

Enigmas.

IMO, cricket needs Pakistan to be as good as possible as they do make the game more interesting. 
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Damn Australia look good. Think England will smash them though....
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    edited June 2019
    We'll find out on 25th June, I'm not so confident, I think Australia may undo England with their bowling.

New Zealand vs India will be good tomorrow, NZ get to face some stiffer opposition and we'll get to see how big their balls really are. Some light rain forecast at Nottingham but should be plenty of overs played.

edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    We'll find out on 25th June, I'm not so confident, I think Australia may undo England with their bowling.

New Zealand vs India will be good tomorrow, NZ get to face some stiffer opposition and we'll get to see how big their balls really are. Some light rain forecast at Nottingham but should be plenty of overs played.
    Yep the Aussie bowling attack is fantastic and *maybe* the all bashing England batsman will be cocky and throw their wickets away against Starc et al.

i think they’ll be fine though. Looking forward to it. Their batting’s ends at 6 pretty much as demonstrated again today. Get rid of Warner and Smith, not much left, although Finch has an incredible record against England. 

Would love to see NZ beat India. There’s a slight arrogance to India (their fans mainly on social media). I’m ashamed to admit I wanted Australia to best India the other day! Never again! 

have to say the weather aside I’m really enjoying the World Cup so far. 

They were talking about the weather on talksport yesterday. Apparently there is no reserve day for the final itself, meaning if it is rained off, the world cup is shared!? 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader

They were talking about the weather on talksport yesterday. Apparently there is no reserve day for the final itself, meaning if it is rained off, the world cup is shared!? 
    what about if it rains during the semis and NR - Do both teams go to the final and pick a mixed team - Or a reserve date available
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    I imagine they'd have a bowl-out in an indoor net.
    tFB Trader

what about if it rains during the semis and NR - Do both teams go to the final and pick a mixed team - Or a reserve date available
    Réserve days for both semis. Just not the final itself (apparently) but I can’t find confirmation anywhere. 

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    Re the Aussie bowling attack, Cummins and Starc are great, but why aren't they playing Nathan Lyon? He's the best finger spinner in the world!

Not sure that the back-up seamers will hold too many terrors for our batsmen, and they certainly don't have an all rounder in the Ben Stokes or Moeen Ali league.