SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB - Ukelele

What's Hot
Need some tips on what to look for. I'm just after a budget thing which I can take away in my campervan, and strum with around the BBQ etc.
Is £50 too cheap? Should I consider a plastic one?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kala-Waterman-Composite-Soprano-Ukulele/dp/B00TUMK0CM
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    I got a plastic one off the Mrs a few years ago about £12. The kids use it. Good enough for ginganggooliegooliegooliegooliewatchagingangooo..
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Bought a Makala uke years ago, been used and abused by all and still going strong. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1129
    Cheers. A question I forgot to ask....what size is the normal? Tenor, Baritone, Soprano, Concert...?
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 168
    I suggest you look for much the same things as you would in an acoustic guitar. Main one is that the better ones have a solid top as a minimum. Soprano, concert and tenor are generally all tuned the same, but baritone are not. Sometimes tenors have a low G string instead of re-entrant tuning. No sniggering please!  There is an old joke that the main advantage of the bigger ones is that they last longer when you throw them on the camp fire
  • Hi,

As a uke player, I would suggest that you look at the Southern Ukulale Store and consider buying a concert sized uke. Slighthly bigger than the usual soprano uke, like these. It's worth getting a case but you could wrap it in a dry towel...
  • Hi,

As a uke player, I would suggest that you look at the Southern Ukulale Store and consider buying a concert sized uke. Slighthly bigger than the usual soprano uke, like these. It's worth getting a case but you could wrap it in a dry towel...
  • I have a Makala MK-T which is pretty good. Considering moving up to something a bit more expensive though, in particular something with solid top and a pickup.
  • pjfpjf Frets: 330
    +1 for southern uke store. Excellent service (no affiliation). Also agree with opinion that you should treat like a guitar purchase. If you’re going to play it, use it, enjoy it regularly, I think £50 honestly is towards the cheap end, but YMMV
  • KDSKDS Frets: 220
    Kala ukes are really good
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    So what tuning do you prefer? There a great temptation for guitar players to avoid any of the re-entrant tunings. I’ve heard that DGBE is achievable on a Tenor, and not just on a Baritone.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FatboylimFatboylim Frets: 14
    Definitely get a solid top uke. Good ones like Kaklla will be £160 new but sell for £90-100 used. They will be soooo much better than a £50 uke and will last you longer.

I went a Kala soprano (long neck) and it's still going strong. 
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 598
    I’m selling a nice tanglewood tu3-EQ electro acoustic with hardcase for £80. Pm me if interested :)