Gibson warning video over trademark infringements

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
So if you haven’t seen it yet, make sure you read the comments.

Blink Agnesi, blink!

https://www.gearnews.com/gibsons-mark-agnesi-to-guitar-builders-youve-been-warned-over-copyrights/

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26450
    Interesting.

Of course, there's an important distinction to be made here - if they take action, it will be in civil court. The logo (or primary distinguishing marks) is still required under UK law for an item to be considered counterfeit (and thus for criminal law to apply).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    I think that's fair enough.  Wanting to protect their brand and protect buyers against getting ripped off.  They'll need to back it up by taking action where they can.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1367
    May he's too young to remember that Gibson failed in court with their action against PRS.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    All sounds a little desperate to me. They really should concentrate on building great instruments and not just relying on their past glories.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5833
    Don't Fuck with Gibson's "Mickey Mouse" Ears on the ES335

Click

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEcXp8_I8CY

:)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18374
    stonevibe said:
    All sounds a little desperate to me. They really should concentrate on building great instruments and not just relying on their past glories.
    As with Fender, all they ever seem to do is try to hark back to their past glories (even though most of them weren't considered so at the time).

Somewhat ironically, why is Mr. Agnesi wearing a fake Schott Perfecto jacket...?  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5833
    edited June 2019
    In all seriousness though, he should realise that there are many out there who will simply pay to have the Gibson Logo on their Guitar, I'm one of them, but if I wanted "almost" exactly the same shape but with undoubtedly brilliant QC Levels, I'd buy a Ruokangas Unicorn or a Feline or many of the other great boutique builders out there.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
    tFB Trader
    I find it fascinating that the 'Gibson' that did the most to restore the popularity of the Les Paul ... and hence Gibson as a brand ... was Slash's AFD instrument ... which was a fake! They then made truckloads from copying the fake and selling it. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 21reaction image Wisdom
    I find it fascinating that the 'Gibson' that did the most to restore the popularity of the Les Paul ... and hence Gibson as a brand ... was Slash's AFD instrument ... which was a fake! They then made truckloads from copying the fake and selling it. 
    Yep, says a lot about the brand.

Then there was the Hendrix Experience ahem Strat....

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18374
    Ahh yes, the Derrig 'homage' , cough, cough.
    Gibson's marketing department have never let principles or morals get in the way of turning a fast buck  :)
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Does he warn them about copying Gibson's QC?
    17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    Does he warn them about copying Gibson's QC?
    Can you trademark shoddy workmanship?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Sentiment = good
    Execution = bizarre
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    I think this is just one part of the company relaunching itself after near destruction. That relaunch will, hopefully, include sorting out the QC, reviewing the range of models (which they've been doing already) and ideally some inovation into newer products that players will want. 
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    That video was hilarious. Why anybody in their right mind in the marketing department would think this will accomplish anything positive and not massively backfire is beyond me...
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3260
    tFB Trader
    I've heard Terry Morgan will be retiring soon, which is good timing  =)
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5111
    edited June 2019
    Agnesi back @ Norm’s by Christmas 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2341
    i hear mickey mouse is going to sue gibson for copying his ears on the 335
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I've heard Terry Morgan will be retiring soon, which is good timing  =)
    You need to turn round three times holding your nose and reciting Bert Weedon for that mention!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
    tFB Trader
    Interesting to try and work out at whom this sabre rattling is directed: they stand no chance of stemming the tide of Chibsons as China has no interest in protecting a foreign company's patents or trademarks. The only folks they can really scare are the smaller makers who can't defend themselves because of financial constraints. 

The other interesting thing is that US patent law is lax to the point of idiocy ... the first patent for a humbucking pickup was granted in 1936 ... and yet practically identical products were the subject of 'original patents' by both Gibson and Gretsch in the 1950s .... EVEN after the 1935 design had been published in 1939 in an electronics magazine so was in the public domain and there was a truck load of 'prior art'. 

Fender may well have nicked it's Strat headstock shape from Paul Bigsby ... Gibson may well have nicked the humbucker from Arnold Lestil (who? I hear you say) or Gretsch.

Incidentally Lestil was also the co developer of  the “Radio Organ of a Trillion Tones” ... also from the 1930s ... which was basically a primitive keyboard sampler!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom