PMT Birmingham - New Store

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Shame about the lack of booths - that seems to be a PMT issue around the other shops. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    Well, the PMT in Farlington Portsmouth is probably typical. 
    No price tickets on any guitars or expensive items. 

So you need your phone to check online PMT prices while you are in the shop. That just seems so weird. 
    It's really f**king annoying is what it is.

The problem is they will match any UK deal (if it's in stock) which is on the surface great, but what it actually means is they will never be the best deal, only equal to the best, and also you've no idea without researching whether you will get a good deal on the guitar you just picked up or not.

They can match deals and still price things up, and maybe be the best when they can afford to and win some loyal customers, it puts me off when I go in my local PMT because I know I've got an annoying haggle waiting for me, which if I've already set my heart on a guitar, I'm poorly equipped for.

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 185
    edited June 2019
    Glad I'm not the only perplexed by the lack of pricing tickets. I was having a mooch around the Northampton PMT to look for a strat under 300, which is easy when there are actual price tags. I have no idea what the game here is or who came up with the idea, but it is freaking stupid, I ended up walking out and I doubt I'll go back. it just feels so backwards, I assume it's so the sales guys can say, I'll get you the best deal etc, but in reality it puts the buyer at a disadvantage .. 

Also yes, Musical Exchanges, IMO the best guitar shop ever.. so sad that it's been gone for so long, spent so much time and money there .. .. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    Yup they look at the best deal when you are ready to buy, so they hold the cards.

I basically had to have a row and threaten to walk away to get a decent price (not a superb price, a decent one) last time I bought from there, and because of that it's tough to go back.

For example, the new Squier CV go for about 329 at Andertons, but no stock, so in PMT I'd pay 379, an extra 50 quid I know they can afford to drop that they would insist on me paying...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Every time I went to Bham PMT I was reminded how much I miss Exchanges.. now that was a guitar shop. To say I bought a bit of stuff in there is putting it mildly. 
    Is that the one that was on Broad st opposite George Clay music shop? I seem to recall it being called Modern Exchange? I went there a lot as a kid in the early 70's never realising all those 60's Strats and Teles etc would become such collectables. Could never have afforded one at the time but the buzz of just mooching will always stay with me.
    As for PMT used to go there but gave up on them as I could never find a parking spot.
    It seems you are correct.. way before my time. I used to go in the Atari shop on Broad Street but wasn't a guitar lover at that point.

Talk Sport/Planet Rock's Ian Danter is an ex employee and tells his MX story here.. it's a long way from doing Trevor Francis impressions amongst the Jacksons and Charvels to commentating on the World Cup. Very nostalgic read for musical Midlanders.. 

http://www.iandanter.co.uk/blogs/rock-and-roll-stories-part-10-musical-exchanges-men-myths-marshalls
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Great find @mudslide73 and presumably that references Simon Bradley later of Guitarist and Hi On Maiden, etc.

IIRC it was bought out by the short lived Reverb chain before closing. Others may remember better. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I completely forgot they were moving premises but will try to pop in this week and see some of the guys there.

Thank God they finally have a bit more of a car park.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
    Every time I went to Bham PMT I was reminded how much I miss Exchanges.. now that was a guitar shop. To say I bought a bit of stuff in there is putting it mildly. 
    Is that the one that was on Broad st opposite George Clay music shop? I seem to recall it being called Modern Exchange? I went there a lot as a kid in the early 70's never realising all those 60's Strats and Teles etc would become such collectables. Could never have afforded one at the time but the buzz of just mooching will always stay with me.
    As for PMT used to go there but gave up on them as I could never find a parking spot.
    It seems you are correct.. way before my time. I used to go in the Atari shop on Broad Street but wasn't a guitar lover at that point.

Talk Sport/Planet Rock's Ian Danter is an ex employee and tells his MX story here.. it's a long way from doing Trevor Francis impressions amongst the Jacksons and Charvels to commentating on the World Cup. Very nostalgic read for musical Midlanders.. 

http://www.iandanter.co.uk/blogs/rock-and-roll-stories-part-10-musical-exchanges-men-myths-marshalls
    Thank you so much for posting that article. It so brings back memories.I think I'm right in saying Garry Chapman was/ is still the manger at PMT.A very friendly guy who always had time for you.There have been a few occasions where people have mentioned Musical Exchange and I've  wrongly corrected them by saying it was  Modern Exchange.I never realised they had moved and changed name.My brother bought his first bass guitar from the Broad Street shop, a K bass.He eventually played professional  for many years in nightclub/theatre bands.We would spend many a Saturday afternoon popping in to mooch and wonder at the guitars.Again,a great article and thanks for posting it.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Right then. Just been in and it's very impressive.. just not much I'd want that I can afford (not their fault of course). Great site and exponentially increased amounts of parking. Deffo a big thumbs up from me.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• My last experience of buying a guitar at PMT (before they removed the price tags). Yes I was a nuisance customer, but at least I bought something.

I was after a Variax Standard.

There were 2 in the shop. A black one & a white one. I preferred the white look but after checking the relief, chose the black one instead because it was perfect (finish not too important – the variax was for recording).

I wanted the action adjusted so spoke to an assistant who got on with it (reluctantly). After some minutes I checked up on him and he was adjusting the truss rod! I told him he needed to reset it as it originally was and to use the bridge saddles instead. He did (reluctantly).

Price: I pointed out there was a one to price match at another store, and he wouldn’t do that because that other store’s one was white and this was a black one.

If I wasn’t already tired of being there I would have told him ‘ok I’ll have the white one then, just set it up as you just did the black one’. But I was tired of being there so I stumped up the few quid difference.

I was aware he had better things to do than carry out my requests. but as a customer I cant adjust their guitar before I've bought it. I would have preferred to. I just needed to know the thing would handle well. 

It was hard work for both of us.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent