Camcorders?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3352
edited June 2019 in Off Topic
My daughter wants to make you tube videos. I figured a you tube video wont need anything exotic to film it, I was wrong.

I bought her this.
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/camcorders/camcorders/digital-camcorders/canon-legria-hf-r86-camcorder-black-10159649-pdt.html

The video is very grainy and looks horrid! I have not tried it outdoors as she wont really be using it outdoors.

So it has to go back!

I was thinking would any of these be better?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/camcorders/camcorders/digital-camcorders/sony-hdr-pj410b-camcorder-black-10118469-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/camcorders/camcorders/digital-camcorders/panasonic-hc-v380eb-k-camcorder-black-10142704-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/camcorders/camcorders/digital-camcorders/jvc-gz-r495dek-camcorder-orange-10181859-pdt.html

I know nothing about video cameras except my 30 quid phone takes better video than the Cannon.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Loads of folks use a Sony HDR something or other....just google best camcorders for YouTube..

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    I've been looking at the ones Zoom offer. 
    I need a camcorder for work but I also fancied something to record the band and Zoom seem pretty good for that. 
    Really nice review here with pros, cons, and how they might work or not work for vlogging.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    You might actually be better with a DSLR "stills" camera. Fantastic image quality and brilliant access to lenses. And most - even entry level ones - are good at video these days. 

A large proportion of youtube bloggers use DSLRs (or mirrorless stills cameras) these days
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Definitely don't get a camcorder. They're... I don't even know why they exist.

Really, you want a micro 4/3 sensor or aps-c. These bigger sensors will give much better image quality. If you're not needing amazing autofocus for video, you could definitely get by with an older model - they shoot excellent 1080p at 30fps, which is fine for most YouTube applications. 
  • Panasonic lx100 used maybe? 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3352
    I cant push the budget out to a DSLR at the moment, The only choice I have really is the ones in my first post, I can get those on a buy now pay later (after I have paid for our holidays!) and I dont think my 9 year old would appreciated a DSLR the same way I would.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Most of my shits filmed on a Panasonic w850 (older model). 

www.youtube.com/captainslaveman

Except the last noisy boss buffer clip. 
    Might give you some reference. It was about £450odd when I bought it. My crap cheap editing software degrades the quality, then youtube does so even more when I upload. 

When I was looking at what youtubers were using, they all seemed to have serious gear to get the high quality videos we're used to. Ie. A dslr, rode mic, lighting, a powerhouse of a pc or whatever... and knowledge in how to use it all, which I severely lack in..
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Will the camera be static? 
    Will the camera be static? 
    Usually yes, but sometimes no.
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 962
    gopro?
    I tried the Cannon moving around and its utter pants, jumpy, grainy , struggles to keep focus, its also pants on moving objects, like children playing.
  • robgilmo said:
    Will the camera be static? 
    Usually yes, but sometimes no.
    Decent mobile phone, Tascam portable audio recorder, Led continuous lights and a clapperboard. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12313
    Keiko said:
    gopro?
    This. A friend does semi-pro film making and uses Go Pros as well as his DSLR. Gets great results. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    edited June 2019
    robgilmo said:
    My daughter wants to make you tube videos. I figured a you tube video wont need anything exotic to film it, I was wrong.

I bought her this.
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/camcorders/camcorders/digital-camcorders/canon-legria-hf-r86-camcorder-black-10159649-pdt.html

The video is very grainy and looks horrid! I have not tried it outdoors as she wont really be using it outdoors.

So it has to go back!
    I know nothing about video cameras except my 30 quid phone takes better video than the Cannon.

Sounds like the lighting was insufficient. Although not a great camera, given decent lighting, it should give better results than you describe. A lot of the skill in shooting video or film is about working with light. Using what ever lights you have to hand, try to create a soft even light, no hot spots, as a starting point.
    I was thinking lighting, our cottage isnt the brightest of places. It has a LUX value of 4 but I guess thats only Cannon trying to sell cameras. What kind of lights would be best? Incandescent, LED, energy saving? I know some kinds of artificial light can be bad, I have a bridge camera that makes everything look orange under artificial light.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11799
    You can use a phone these days to film YT videos, those Handycams from the last century should stay there.  Who buys them?!

Everything these days can shoot HD, every phone came out in the last couple of years can do 4k.

Either get yourself a GoPro, or a DJI Action or DJI Pocket or use your phone.  

If you want to get a bigger camera, then something like a Sony RX100V would be good, but you need a flip up screen if you are going to shoot vlogs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited June 2019
    robgilmo said:
    I was thinking lighting, our cottage isnt the brightest of places. It has a LUX value of 4 but I guess thats only Cannon trying to sell cameras. What kind of lights would be best? Incandescent, LED, energy saving? I know some kinds of artificial light can be bad, I have a bridge camera that makes everything look orange under artificial light.
    I got a couple of these and they've made a massive difference.  I think it was someone here who recommended them. 
    They're good to go but I got a couple of longer power leads and just cos I've got mic stands knocking around I've stuck them onto mic stands which means they're good to go in seconds rather than have to faff about.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    The OP really ought to go into a shop that sells cameras and such things and discuss his requirements with a staff member there.  Much the same advice that I would give for buying a guitar, hi-fi system, HT system, car etc. etc.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    The OP really ought to go into a shop that sells cameras and such things and discuss his requirements with a staff member there.  Much the same advice that I would give for buying a guitar, hi-fi system, HT system, car etc. etc.
    I have tried that with PC world before, they still try and sell you something that isnt right,  I dont know, perhaps I am expecting too much from cheap gear, or perhaps I am old fashioned and expect things to do the job that I expect them to do? It would be nice if they said in the description ''wont work in low light/indoors, wont work on moving objects, will wash out in bright sun light and wont work if you move around with the camera in your hand'', to be fair though I would have thought a video camera should be well capable of these things no matter how much it costs, wouldn't that be the basics of any camera?
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    The zoom looks good but sadly isn’t...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview