Did anyone else want this toy as a kid?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
The Johnny Seven gun!

I had forgotten about this for decades, but by chance I just saw a pic on t'interweb and it all came back to me. I sooo wanted one of these, it looked awesome. Never got one of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGhYbg3KVu0

In defence of my parents, I never bought any of my kids a toy gun all through their childhood.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    Jesus, what a disgusting advert for a pretty bleak "toy". Get 'em young.... 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16014
    I had one ........I remember wanting it really badly ......I must have been about 7 or 8 and saw one at my friend Osama's house
    I also wanted the The Taliban Turban and a converted 4x4 Toyota Hilux with a machine gun mounted in the loading Bay to go with it .
     Seriously , I did actually have one and was the envy of all my friends ....the grenade launcher was the coolest bit and it also had a quick release pistol that came out of it .
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3633
    My best friend had one, I didn't and it's taken me the best part of 50 years to get over it.  Thanks for dredging that all back up :p
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I had one.  In fact knowing how my dad hoards all our childhood stuff its could well be in his loft along with all the original star wars figures.  All broken, missing bits and likely chewed by the dog.

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    I wasn't allowed one (mum I think). A couple of years later I got an air rifle for Christmas.

Go figure.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    edited July 2019

@Dominic ; 
    I also had one, was thinking there was something else about it but couldn't think what it was until you mentioned pistol would come out separately. Cool at the time. Before I bought a Winchester BB rifle. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    I didn’t but I had a lot of war themed toys  - Action Man, Airfix soldiers, various guns,etc. Odd really. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    merlin said:

It's just like a nerf gun without the bright colours surely? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290

I think it's a bit before my time but I did love toy guns as a kid.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    A friend at primary school had one, he was king of the class because of it. He had all the cool toys, his parents spoilt him rotten.... I remember going to his house and seeing he had an absolutely massive Scalextric set up as well. 
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1323
    I was previously unaware of this, but I do want one now.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11814
    Not really, I remember having some robots before I was 10, then after about 10 onwards, i was into computer games.
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    merlin said:
    WW2 was still a pretty fresh memory, Cuban missile crisis had just happened and there was a pervasive fear that WW3 was all too likely and imminent.

Also, form a toy manufacturers point of view, toy guns for boys is just a license to print money. Little boys, on the whole, like guns. When I was the age of the children in the ad, me and my friends would run around with our imaginary guns and make 'da-da-da-da-da' noises, throwing ourselves to floor when we were 'hit'.

This was before my time though - I wanted a Big Trak.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15477
    playing with firearms, not just for kids. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    We used to play cowboys & indians and war games when I was a kid; there were a couple of old bren-gun carriers in a field across from me we'd play in.

My parents didn't want to buy me a toy gun, but I managed to do a swap for one.

As an adult, I do target shooting and my kids did airsoft skirmishes.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I got my first air gun when I was about 10 or 11 so that thing would've left me very unsatisfied.
    My grandad taught me to shoot real firearms a year or so later, pistols and rifles. Cap guns never did it for me after that.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Sassafras said:
    I got my first air gun when I was about 10 or 11 so that thing would've left me very unsatisfied.
    My grandad taught me to shoot real firearms a year or so later, pistols and rifles. Cap guns never did it for me after that.
    I was taught to shoot at the same age by my elderly neighbour using a 4 10. I later found out he had been a sniper in WW1. He never mentioned it to me himself. He was a wonderful old man; gentle and incredibly knowledgeable about nature. He had been a gamekeeper prior to joining up which must have provided him with the sniping skills.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    It was a different world back then. Daytime TV films were all cowboys & indians or WWII - an endless stream of baddies being mown down and guns in almost every frame - war comics were everywhere, and it wasn't thought politically incorrect for boys to have toy guns and run around pretending to shoot everyone in sight...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Yep I remember it well enough. The boy across the road had one, the rest of us made wooden 'guns' in my dads shed. In those far off days real toys were hard to come by, we had trees and the neighbourhood.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18389
    Musicwolf said:
    My best friend had one, I didn't and it's taken me the best part of 50 years to get over it.  Thanks for dredging that all back up :p
    I feel your pain...
    Eureka!  You might just have saved me a fortune in therapy costs.