What's a good keyboard for getting Rhodes, Wurlitzer, piano and Hammond organ sounds?

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
edited July 2019 in Other Instruments
My old Korg N5 keyboard is getting a bit kronky now and I only really use it for Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer, and Hammond organ sounds. I don't need a full on synth or sequencer but would like to get those kinds of sounds from a more modern keyboard.

Would need to be:

- 5 octave
- MIDI in/out
- Usual connections for sustain pedal, expression pedal
- Stereo out
- Doesn't have to be weighted

(If it could do a Mellotron that would be a bonus.)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    Nord Electro?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    I've a Yamaha mx49 (not selling sorry) bought for precisely this function and I like it. Was quite cheap. The fact that it also functions as a midi controller quite easily for virtual instruments is a nice bonus for adding bass or similar to recordings
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    Nord Electro.

There's also a Korg equivalent these days, and the new Yamaha stage pianos are pretty good too.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Nord's got the top-quality end covered, but you pay for it. I now have the Stage 3 (with drawbars) and it's fantastic.

That said, these are "bread-and-butter" sounds and all modern ROMplers include dozens of there-or-thereabouts patches. So an MX61 may do what you want at the affordable end of the spectrum.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    The Nord, though I don't know what model it is. I was knocked out by that.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Worth looking up what a used Nord electro 2 goes for these days maybe? They're up to the electro 6 now, so hopefully the V2 used might be a good price these days
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    I think my Yamaha CS2X would cover all that?
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to demo some Nords at some point.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited July 2019
    I think the deffacto for those sounds is Nord nowadays, but many boards will offer those tones with some tweaking. Which Nord depends on other factors though as they are a bit nicheyssoise....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Nord is king indeed.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019
    OK, I'm getting it...

"Say 'Nord' again. Say 'Nord' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say 'Nord' one more Goddamn time!"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019
    Seems that the Nord Electro (61 key) does all that I need. Might look out for a s/h Electro 5. Unless there are cheaper comparable options.
  • Just don't let this thread turn into an Emp_Fab epic. For the love of all that is unholy and unclean, buy it before page 10 puhhhleeeaaaassseeee!!!

Bye!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Just to be different, my suggestion is a MIDI controller keyboard with drawbars triggering a computer running Spectrasonics Keyscape.

Er, why is this Discussion in Off Topic rather than, say, Other Instruments?
    Be seeing you.
    Just to be different, my suggestion is a MIDI controller keyboard with drawbars triggering a computer running Spectrasonics Keyscape.

I'd like something self contained. I spent 20 years with software and I'm tired of it.

Er, why is this Discussion in Off Topic rather than, say, Other Instruments?
    It is now. Thanks.
    Just don't let this thread turn into an Emp_Fab epic. For the love of all that is unholy and unclean, buy it before page 10 puhhhleeeaaaassseeee!!!
    Plenty of time before we reach page 10. ;-)

I guess I've always wanted a Nord keyboard ever since I saw David Sylvian use a Nord Lead 3 live on his "Fire in the Forest" tour (god, that seems a long time ago now...2003). I also like the fact that Nords are red. I like red things.

Anyway, it seems that the Nord Electro ticks all the boxes. Now I'm thinking about the 73-key version...
    I've been using an electro 5d for a few years. Sounds and plays great. Mellotron samples are great too.

If it's for live use then the main thing that holds it back is it cuts off the sound on programme changes, which the electro 6 doesn't do as I understand it. Not enough for me to justify the upgrade though.
    edited August 2019
    I've done more research and thinking. I need a 6 octave keyboard so the one I'm thinking of getting is the Nord Electro 6D 73 key. My main use would be pianos (especially Wurlitzer and Rhodes), organs (Hammond, Farfisa, Vox Continental) and a sampler to do a Mellotron and maybe some nice ambient samples.

Before I pull the trigger are there comparable alternatives from other manufacturers?
    Philtre said:
    I've done more research and thinking. I need a 6 octave keyboard so the one I'm thinking of getting is the Nord Electro 6D 73 key. My main use would be pianos (especially Wurlitzer and Rhodes), organs (Hammond, Farfisa, Vox Continental) and a sampler to do a Mellotron and maybe some nice ambient samples.

Before I pull the trigger are there comparable alternatives from other manufacturers?
    Yamaha cp73 might be worth looking at as a possible alternative? I still love my electro 5d though...