Rails type pickups for strats - opinions please?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited July 2019
    Megii said:
    it's probably a bit weird and  of me, but I just don't like the look of strats with a full size humbucker in the bridge - I like to see that slanting bridge pickup. 

https://i.imgur.com/3ATy6DR.jpg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I’d never put them in the neck or middle position of a strat, but in my opinion pretty much anything is an improvement over a standard strat bridge single coil.
    I had put one of the first available ones which I think was a Duncan JB junior in my first guitar.
    It always sounded in between single coil and humbucker to me which I think is cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    paulnb57 said:
    Megii said:
    it's probably a bit weird and  of me, but I just don't like the look of strats with a full size humbucker in the bridge - I like to see that slanting bridge pickup. 

https://i.imgur.com/3ATy6DR.jpg

I've always been interested in the reasoning behind an angled bridge humbucker in a Strat and how it affects the sound.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    Lestratcaster said:

I've always been interested in the reasoning behind an angled bridge humbucker in a Strat and how it affects the sound.
    The reasoning is because Eddie Van Halen was a genius player and an awful guitar tech... he did that to his first one and a lot of people copied it. It's still a bad idea though.

How it affects the sound is that it makes the E strings weak, which is why Seymour Duncan developed the 'Trembucker' which is wider, to avoid the problem of the Es being outside the sensing area on one coil - although it still works better with the pickup straight.

There's an even worse problem if you do that to a two-post bridge guitar - the treble side can collapse through into the cavity because the corner of the pickup rout is too close to it... especially if it's been crudely chopped out with a chisel, as many were.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    ICBM said:
    Lestratcaster said:

The reasoning is because Eddie Van Halen was a genius player and an awful guitar tech... he did that to his first one and a lot of people copied it. It's still a bad idea though.

How it affects the sound is that it makes the E strings weak, which is why Seymour Duncan developed the 'Trembucker' which is wider, to avoid the problem of the Es being outside the sensing area on one coil - although it still works better with the pickup straight.

There's an even worse problem if you do that to a two-post bridge guitar - the treble side can collapse through into the cavity because the corner of the pickup rout is too close to it... especially if it's been crudely chopped out with a chisel, as many were.
    See Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day does it with his strat and a lot of people claim his tone is due to the pickup being positioned like that. Something to do with the bassier strings not being as trebley or something.

I'm putting a Seymour Duncan JB in my Strat (you may have seen my thread about the upgrade) in the bridge position. I expect it to be straight rather than angled, in the pickguard but it should still get me in that ballpark "Dookie album" tone?
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    The Dimarzio twin blades  in the Billy Corgan strat sounded  decent to me  and still strat like .i only played it once at a store through a Blackstar but liked it.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    edited July 2019
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again...if you want humbucker body with the definition and a bit of the attack of single coils, forget about single-sized humbuckers. Get a Red or Blue Lace Sensor instead (depending on whether you want a modern or a classic sound respectively).

As well as being the best-sounding single-sized pickups you can get (yeah, I'm a little biased), they use a much weaker magnetic field so string pull is minimised.

For context, I've used all the alternatives from SD and DiMarzio, as well as the Irongear variants, and none of them come close to the Lace Sensors.
    <space for hire>
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    I've tried a few - Kent Armstrong, SD Hot & Cool Rails, Irongear Jailhouse Rail I & II and Oil City. None of them sound like full size humbuckers. They have a sound of their own and you need to get used to that and make it work for you. 

The best by far are the Oil City pickups that Ash winds to special order. The Jailhouse Rail I sounded awful in one guitar and really good in another (??!!). No, I have no idea why. JR II was a bit meh,  SD's were Ok and the KA's were nothing special.

At the moment I have the JR I in the bridge position in my LAG Strat, an Oil City in the bridge position in my G&L S500 and a full set of Oil City in my Eggle Los Angeles. All doing an excellent job.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again...if you want humbucker body with the definition and a bit of the attack of single coils, forget about single-sized humbuckers. Get a Red or Blue Lace Sensor instead (depending on whether you want a modern or a classic sound respectively).

As well as being the best-sounding single-sized pickups you can get (yeah, I'm a little biased), they use a much weaker magnetic field so string pull is minimised.

For context, I've used all the alternatives from SD and DiMarzio, as well as the Irongear variants, and none of them come close to the Lace Sensors.
    I've always found them really characterless. It was one of the main reasons I stupidly (with hindsight) turned down a Fender Deluxe Strat in Firestorm... which is now a very valuable guitar. It just sounded completely boring.

I can't stand the Duncan Li'l '59 either, for balance!

I really like the Dimarzio Fast Track and Chopper though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    edited July 2019
    ICBM said:

I've always found them really characterless. It was one of the main reasons I stupidly (with hindsight) turned down a Fender Deluxe Strat in Firestorm... which is now a very valuable guitar. It just sounded completely boring.

I can't stand the Duncan Li'l '59 either, for balance!

I really like the Dimarzio Fast Track and Chopper though.
    Hilariously, I'm the exact opposite - I find the Fast Track and Chopper to be so generic as to be useless for what I do! Little '59 is great in the neck, but the Blue is better.

I've always found that humbuckers - particularly single-coil-size ones - tend to mask the attack too much. They cover up picking inaccuracy, which is nice (it's something I'm not very good at), but most of them totally miss the "ch" of "chug", particularly DiMarzios. It's something you can't really correct for with EQ or compression.

Also, given that the other guitarist in my band uses a Les Paul, that little extra definition really helps differentiate the two guitars.
    <space for hire>
  • I like the Lil’59 in the neck position of my Jagstang, works really well. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Better,option for me is a Bare Knuckle Sinner, which is a hot Simgle Coil, retaining the look and the Strattiness......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• FezFez Frets: 522
    I've had a Seymour Duncan hot rails in my favourite strat for about 35 years and it's going nowhere. Sure rails are different to full size humbuckers and they may not suit every guitar. It is definitely worth having a push pull switched pot to split the coils. 
    Lack of chug would be due to the compression from too much distortion back of the gain a bit.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    edited July 2019
    I put  a Dimarzio fast track in my mm Silhouette years ago and love it, to make it more balanced in position 4 I simply took the two wires your supposed to solder together to make it humbuck and soldered them to the spare lug on my 5 way switch so when it’s in position 5 it’s full humbucking when position 4 it’s split to balance with the middle pick up. Ps lug 3 on the side of the switch which isn’t used is then sent to earth on the tone pot
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    paulnb57 said:
    Megii said: he look of strats with a full size humbucker in the bridge - I like to see that slanting bridge pickup. 
    Well played and touché re the angled full size 'bucker - hadn't thought of that, and not what I'm after either, but can't deny it is a thing. :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Thanks again for all the replies, and it has helped me get my thoughts together. No right or wrong here of course, but hopefully I'll get to something that is right for me.

I do have a strat with a Lace red-silver-blue set, so as a side issue was interested in the discussion on those - my take is that for versatility they are great, and for a gigging guitar they really get the job done, and obviously can suffer from less noise when that's an issue. For me they have a smooth, hi-fi kind of thing, which is nice sometimes, but also I do understand where @ICBM is coming from if I'm honest.

Anyhow - I am going to be building yet another partscaster strat (surf green, all maple neck) having already made 3 of them - must be bonkers, but I just like strats it seems. Since I already have a couple of strats with the classic tones covered well, for this next one I'm going to go a bit different - it will have Axesrus Red Mag pickups in the neck and middle slots - for a warmer/fuller take on the single coil tone, and a rails in the bridge, and with switching to tap that one. To be honest I think I'll try something fairly inexpensive to start with, like an Artec or similar (alnico magnet) - will see how that works out, can always upgrade if not happy. Cheers again though! :)
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4148
    I think these days , single size pickups can provide near enough the same tone /output as their double size brothers. Seymour Duncan jb dimarzio super distortion, iron gear jailhouse rails.