Re Fret

What's Hot
rayttkrayttk Frets: 68
Hi Guys,
Can anyone advise me on the best Luthier in the Manchester area to perform a stainless steel refret on my CS strat please.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited July 2019 tFB Trader
    I’ve recently had a guitar in the had a superb SS refret carried out by Ged Green, he’d be the man for the job.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Matt Ryan in Milnrow refretted my Jem. Beautiful job he did too. He does everything for me, and is a really nice bloke too. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    refrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    BahHumbug said:
    I would endorse Steve - he has done a few jobs for me inc a couple of vintage pieces - Not sure about SS but chat to him and he will update accordingly
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Another endorsement for Steve, lovely work but are you 100% sure that you want Stainless Steel ? try a few out first as the sound might just grate on your ears 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    edited July 2019
    I don’t think you need to look beyond Steve, Ged or if you are willing to post you would not be disappointed by Feline.

I’ve seen Steve’s work. Had 2 guitars fretted by Ged and 2 refrets byFeline.

Ged lives on the same road as the Village hotel in Cheadle which is 5 mins from Sounds Great.

I think Steve’s near Sale. You’re welcome to have a look at their work on my guitars if you are ever near  Sounds Great Music
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    sweepy said:
    ... are you 100% sure that you want Stainless Steel ? try a few out first as the sound might just grate on your ears 
    There’s a particular clinking sound to stainless steel, particularly if you play a lot of legato and use a bright sound. Personally I prefer Jescar Gold fret wire, which is harder than normal nickel silver, but not quite as hard as stainless.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    +1 jescar gold EVO.   
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    De-fret and never have to fret about refrets again..... 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • rayttkrayttk Frets: 68
    Thanks for the replies, looks like Ged is having a break.
    I will phone Steve and Matt this week.
    Going stainless is a worry to me as I have had a Suhr with SS frets and I didn't get on with it because it was too bright, although it was probably more about it having a maple neck and Ash body.
    Problem is I am heavy handed and require my second fret level in just over a year.
    I absolutely love this guitar as it is and would be devestated if a refret ruined it.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    edited July 2019
    rayttk said:
    Thanks for the replies, looks like Ged is having a break.
    I will phone Steve and Matt this week.
    Going stainless is a worry to me as I have had a Suhr with SS frets and I didn't get on with it because it was too bright, although it was probably more about it having a maple neck and Ash body.
    Problem is I am heavy handed and require my second fret level in just over a year.
    I absolutely love this guitar as it is and would be devestated if a refret ruined it.
    Probably best to work on your technique.

I speak from experience.  I grew up playing an acoustic that wasn't set up that well and had 13 gauge strings on, so ended up pressing far too hard.  When I got an electric with big frets, I pulled chords sharp all the time.

I am bit better than I was, but I'm still a work in progress.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    Here's one I did last week in stainless:

This 1979 Gibson The Paul had very worn low frets. Now re-fretted in tall stainless steel fret wire for a super slinky playing experience pic.twitter.com/0LHp69c7Iu

— Steve Robinson (@manguitartech)
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Here's one I did last week in stainless:

This 1979 Gibson The Paul had very worn low frets. Now re-fretted in tall stainless steel fret wire for a super slinky playing experience pic.twitter.com/0LHp69c7Iu

— Steve Robinson (@manguitartech)
    What do you think Steve, having had the guitar in hand before and after, do ss frets make a guitar brighter?
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    I couldn't say as I didn't play it before refretting it.

The new strings I fitted would probably make it sound brighter in any case.
    Yeah technique is very lacking, I am 50 year old this year , I started playing when I was 12! I am a punk , I play hard, it’s passion it’s what gives me the buzz and it’s not going to change.
    I will throw another issue out there though....
    the guitar in question is currently my only guitar, it’s a 2005 Fender Rory Gallagher custom shop and I kinda feel on one hand life is too short so just play, gig and love the guitar and on the hand this guitar is just worth too much to be taking it away from stock.
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    Ive only recently gone down the SS route with my main guitar. I thought long and hard before choosing stainless steel coz I didn’t want to change the feel or sound. In the end I went for it as I’m fed up with soft fretwire. Didn’t know about Jescar Gold Evo but will look into that when one of my other guitars need a refret. 
    I needn’t have worried and I’m happy with the results.

Thanks bignorm, that’s reassuring.
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 681
    rayttk said:
    ...it was too bright, although it was probably more about it having a maple neck and Ash body.
    Not to open up an industrial sized can of worms but I was under the impression that maple necks actually made the sound darker when compared with rosewood?...
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    rayttk said:
    ...it was too bright, although it was probably more about it having a maple neck and Ash body.
    Not to open up an industrial sized can of worms but I was under the impression that maple necks actually made the sound darker when compared with rosewood?...
    The thing about maple is that it tends to make the neck more maple-y. Where as rosewood tends to make it more rosewood-y. Does that help?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom