Kill switch wiring question

I've been looking for a clear answer to this on the web, but have just ended up confusing myself because of the wide range of possibilities.

I'm wiring a pickup straight to the output jack via a CK dpdt switch. Can someone please tell me how this should be wired as I'm not having any joy making it work on my own? Cheers :-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 760
    edited July 2019
    So single pickup, with the DPDT switch as a kill switch?
    I'd wire hot and earth directly to the output jack, then take a wire from each side of the output jack to the switch, such that the switch connects hot to earth to short out the pickup when engaged (i.e. treat the DPDT switch as a simple make/break SPST switch.) 
    edited July 2019
    Also, as you have redundancy in the switch, you could wire across both poles in parallel to provide more reliability. 
  • Here's a link to another thread that I started that explains more fully what I'm trying to achieve:

That looks rather complicated, and I don't think what I've suggested is suitable. A kill switch is usually a master, but temporary mute used for staccato effects, and is most easily wired as I have described. But what you want to do looks like a whole other world of pain! 
  • Well all that I'm trying to do is to have a pickup that will run without the battery power, so I'm hoping that this will do the trick. When I have the battery running and I'm using the blender I want to switch this pickup out of the system. If the battery dies on me, then I can switch this one in and run it passively.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited July 2019
    What you're describing is a blower switch, not a kill switch.

As I always have to say, make the green wire an 'x' between the lower four terminals rather than a 'u' between the bottom two for better reliability.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 998
    edited July 2019
    This is a second pickup that's separate from the normal pickup. The normal pickup is wired into the blender system, but this a second one which will bypass the blend system entirely. It's a Lace Dually, so there are separate wires for each pickup.

Sorry if I'm confusing things! :-(
    This is a second pickup that's separate from the normal pickup. The normal pickup is wired into the blender system, but this a second one which will bypass the blend system entirely. It's a Lace Dually, so there are separate wires for each pickup.

Sorry if I'm confusing things! :-(
    In that case it's even easier - all you need is a single pole switch which selects either the normal electronics, or the backup pickup, with the middle terminal going to the jack.

If you have a DPDT, just wire both poles in parallel since that will also improve reliability.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• So how would I go about doing that then? ;-) If we call the 3 poles 1, 2, 3 and A, B, C, what wire goes where, as what I have tried isn't working?
  • When the switch is in one position, I have connectivity between 1 and 2, and A and B, when it is the other, it's 2 and 3, and B and C, but I'm sure that you know this already :-)
    So how would I go about doing that then? ;-) If we call the 3 poles 1, 2, 3 and A, B, C, what wire goes where, as what I have tried isn't working?
    1 4
    2 5
    3 6

1 and 4 to standard electrics
    2 and 5 to jack
    3 and 6 to backup pickup

• I still think we're talking about 2 different ideas. Is it not possible to wire this one so that it has no connection to the other circuit?
    I still think we're talking about 2 different ideas. Is it not possible to wire this one so that it has no connection to the other circuit?
    That's exactly what I've shown you.

I give up!

• I guess what I meant was 'without having to connect the blender circuit to the toggle switch'. I can wire it as you have explained, but I was trying to imagine that the second pickup and toggle switch would be unconnected to the other circuitry. Maybe I'm just making it unnecessarily difficult when I thought I was making it easier :-(
    I guess what I meant was 'without having to connect the blender circuit to the toggle switch'. I can wire it as you have explained, but I was trying to imagine that the second pickup and toggle switch would be unconnected to the other circuitry.
    So how would the normal blender circuitry get to the jack? You can't leave it permanently connected or it will mute the backup pickup.

• If there's no battery power, then the blender circuit would be dead, wouldn't it? As I say, I was just trying to imagine the easiest system, but my knowledge of electronics is basic.

If the 2nd pickup was wired directly to the jack and bypassed the blender, would both circuits have output if the blender circuit is connected with battery power? From what you've just said above, I guess that it won't.
    No, because the output impedance of the blender circuit will be very low so it will mute the output of the backup pickup. You need to switch between them - but that's easy.

• Great, that explains it, thanks :-) Does it matter what side of the switch lugs is used for ground?
    edited July 2019
    Great, that explains it, thanks :-) Does it matter what side of the switch lugs is used for ground?
    None of the switch lugs go to ground.

OK, maybe you're misunderstanding. You don't need to switch the ground connections at all, they all remain connected all the time. The only switching you need is on the hot connections to the jack, backup pickup and output of the standard electrics.

• Ah, in that case I'm lost again! For example, the backup pickup has a live and ground wire. I presumed that one would go to 3 and the other to 6, and that the others would be wired similarly.