Tina S - bloody hell!

What's Hot
scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
I discovered this about half an hour ago. It's been many years since my gob was so smacked.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    I'm sorry and I'm not trolling. I couldn't listen after two minutes and turned it off. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    There's talent there, but I lasted less time than Merlin!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    On one hand this lady's playing far exceeds my own level of ability. On the other, I didn't enjoy listening to it, can't really say why.

An observation (sour grapes if you will): There is a black band of something wrapped around the neck between the nut and the first fret - presumably this is to stop open strings from ringing, which suggests to me that the player hasn't got their string-damping sorted.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    That’s stunt guitar gymnastics and not music 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Beethoven doesn’t do much for me.

This one though is INCREDIBLE; 

https://youtu.be/nJi8iSpzq9I
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Keefy said:

An observation (sour grapes if you will): There is a black band of something wrapped around the neck between the nut and the first fret - presumably this is to stop open strings from ringing, which suggests to me that the player hasn't got their string-damping sorted.
    Like Guthrie Govan, Greg Howe and Bumblefoot do? 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    The Beethoven doesn’t do much for me.

I didn’t think it was possible to overplay a Vai song, but she achieved it here, dives straight in and then nowhere to go but to attack the strings like they’re gonna hurt her family. It’s a no from me from a listening point of view.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. 
    This leaves me cold. I appreciate it from a technical point of view, but didn’t enjoy it.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    She's still young. Why not? I reckon she'll refine her stuff as she gets older.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    But if she was playing an R9, y’all would love it ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    dindude said:
    The Beethoven doesn’t do much for me.

I didn’t think it was possible to overplay a Vai song, but she achieved it here, dives straight in and then nowhere to go but to attack the strings like they’re gonna hurt her family. It’s a no from me from a listening point of view.
    Overplaying a Vai song... :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    The problem is, this classical stuff just sounds naff on a guitar, no matter how good you are.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Like other comments, i’d agree she’s technically proficient. But nothing that hours and hours of practice can’t solve.

Musically? I lasted less than 30 seconds on each of the above vids. Awful gain on the first. And i find the virtuoso stuff difficult to listen to at best of times. Nothing against Beethoven or Vai, but just NMCoT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    Philtre said:
    She isn't young any more, but she's still pretty much the same player.

She plays like somebody who focuses on speed over the subtleties that make those pieces of music great. Don't get me wrong, there's definitely a market for that sort of thing, but it's the lack of those subtleties that makes her stuff hard to listen to - using pick attack for emphasis, varying the picking position, vibrato, varying the bend speed etc. Generally-speaking, those are the markers of folk who learned to play much more slowly, and naturally acquired the speed as a by-product of everything else.
    <space for hire>
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited July 2019
    Philtre said:

She's 20.  I think that's still young, by any standards.

I think she's great, I like her playing more than many others in a similar vein.  It does strike me that she doesn't seem to have posted any videos for several years, I'm curious to know what she's doing now.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    I sometimes wonder if I play a different instrument to other "guitarists" on here.

This sort of stuff leaves me cold.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2958
    All I kept thinking was, she's going to get repetitive strain injury when she's older.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4081
    Ace I like em both , I do have quite a few Yngwie records and joe stump,Becker Mc alpine Moore , it annoys me though as I’m rubbish
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    Managed about 40 seconds per track she is young so some latitude in this day You Tube is full of copycat young girls over playing. It’s sort of I have to be better than the men and frankly the skill with something like the love of god is not playing it but in the writing and arranging it just shredding the hell out of it to prove a point meh from me.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    Philly_Q said:
    Philtre said:

She's 20.  I think that's still young, by any standards.

I think she's great, I like her playing more than many others in a similar vein.  It does strike me that she doesn't seem to have posted any videos for several years, I'm curious to know what she's doing now.
    Well, she's been playing for 14 years at this point. I'd suggest that's plenty of time to have gone back to the beginning and picked up all those bits she missed in the desire for speed; that's exactly what I did. Of course, YouTube wasn't around back then to encourage me to just play fast and sod the rest of it ;)
    <space for hire>