Fender Player Telecaster - thoughts?

What's Hot
bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
I quite fancy a Tele.

What do we think about the Player series?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    Go for it. Mexican Telecasters are great value, usually very well-built, and the pickups have vastly improved over the years. Try one in a nearby shop, best way to be sure. 

I've had mine for over 15 years now...
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5654
    Can’t help you much, other than to say if it’s one of the Chinese series, I’ve always quite liked any that I’ve got to play. 

I can tell you that having a quick search to try and work out just which one that is, I found this. And want one  :3

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-50s-tele-lacquer-mn-2tsb-0140179703?lgw_code=16284-0140179703&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImP7yyKql4wIV06SaCh0X7A-eEAkYASABEgKYjPD_BwE
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I've got a MIM standard it been well setup and bridge pickup replaced but it is a great guitar - go for it you won't regret it ;)
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 761
    bodhi said:
    I quite fancy a Tele.

What do we think about the Player series?

I've read that they are very close to the old american standards. Something about the tooling from the old american standards is now used for this line. There's a YouTube video by the know your gear bloke, pulls apart a strat apart and concludes it's american standard likeness:

One of the strats is definitely on my list.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I've had classic player and road worn and MIJ fenders all seemed noticeably better than MIM standards, although I have played some good MIM standards.

Saying that the US performer seem better than the old US specials so maybe an overall increase in quality.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    + i think they've now replaced the bridges from the bent steel ones to the old types that actually like up properly!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    dazzajl said:
    Can’t help you much, other than to say if it’s one of the Chinese series, I’ve always quite liked any that I’ve got to play. 

I can tell you that having a quick search to try and work out just which one that is, I found this. And want one  :3

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-50s-tele-lacquer-mn-2tsb-0140179703?lgw_code=16284-0140179703&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImP7yyKql4wIV06SaCh0X7A-eEAkYASABEgKYjPD_BwE
    That’s a great deal for a very nice guitar. I wonder if the Classic line is being discontinued, just got a very good deal on a jazz bass in the same series.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    have they got that in any other colours please?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • The Mex Player series is actually pretty decent for a £500 Fender. Of course they're not a patch on the AM Pros, but you'd expect that at a bit more the 2x the price. Value for money they're good, but the main thing is to get into a shop and see how it feels in your hands.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    JezWynd said:
    dazzajl said:

That’s a great deal for a very nice guitar. I wonder if the Classic line is being discontinued, just got a very good deal on a jazz bass in the same series.
    Email from GAK tells me that yes, the Vintera series replace Classic and Classic Player lines.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    JezWynd said:
    JezWynd said:
    dazzajl said:

Email from GAK tells me that yes, the Vintera series replace Classic and Classic Player lines.
    At an increased price - shame.

I might have a shufti around to see if I can see any of the discontinued Classic 50's or 70's Strats at a discount. 
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    I’m a dyed in the wool Tele and Strat sort of person, but I find the seemingly huge variety of Fender product ranges a real turn off.  So......

1.  Go for it, get a Tele.
    2.  Can’t comment on the specific range that the OP mentioned.
    3.  Find a shop/shops, with several to try and try them all.  They vary somewhat, so you need to find the one that hits your sweet spot.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I spent some time recently comparing the Player to the Professional for a Precision Bass. Surprisingly I didn't find any articles or videos directly comparing them, usually bloggers etc. are all over that kind of thing.

Sometimes when comparing 2 instruments that vary in price, they can seem very similar on paper which just creates a frustrating ambiguity. But with these, I was relieved to see there are several specific upgrades.

The Professional has:
    •  graphite rods in the neck
    • "hi-mass" bridge with string-through body option
    • different pickups, though unlike before when the Mexican versions had ceramic pickups, the Player does come with alnico pickup stock but not the V-Mod ones which claim to be higher end
    • light-weight tuners that are shaped in a way that pushes the string wind downward
    • narrow-tall frets
    I'm not sure how many of those, if any, apply to the Telecasters but I like that there are very clear upgrades. Before there has been a lot fewer differences on paper which leads to having to wonder if they're cutting corners with the basics on the Mexicans etc.

Also ties in with a general opinion I've seen that the Player series is a general upgrade in quality over the Mexican Standard.

So before it was like there was the "proper" American Standard and the "budget" Mexican Standard; seems more like now that the Player is very much the proper basic model and the Professional is the deluxe model with specific upgrades.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    After seeing this video, I'm actually more tempted by the HH model.  Seems a bit more versatile with the push-pull thingy.

Already wondering what two Oil City Mighty Ninety P90s would sound like in there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frpx1iV7ceo
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18385
    Wonder what a 'Not for Players' series would look like?
    I'd feel a lot more comfortable demoing them in stores without having to suffer the pitying looks of 'players'.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    edited July 2019
    I know what you mean .Just bluff .Dont try and play stuff you cant .Knowingly check for fret buzz.Play simple chords  and notes on different settings  and up and down the board to let people know  you are checking the guitar not showing off  which means you are so great at playing that its beneath you to show others up .Its really all the info you need anyway .learn a few jazz chords .That shuts em all up .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'd feel a lot more comfortable demoing them in stores without having to suffer the pitying looks of 'players'.
    https://www.prsguitars.com/

:3   ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    dazzajl said:
    https://www.prsguitars.com/

:3   ;)
    Incidentally, for some reason I clicked that link and the blood orange McCarty on their "strings and cables" advert is stunning.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18385
    edited July 2019

I couldn't find a 'dry & wry' observation icon for my earlier post 
    Edit: replied to @dazzajl ;
    edited July 2019

I couldn't find a 'dry & wry' observation icon for my earlier post 
    Edit: replied to @dazzajl ;;
    It was a little mean but I believe you have to mock the afflicted