"Your item is over-priced..."

What's Hot

Comments

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    It’s just someone either being a chancer or a twat. I sometimes ask if people will move on price if I don’t want to spend that much but do t tell people it’s overpriced. It’s up to you to pick the price you want to list it at and ultimately sell it at (which if course can be different).

Im with you, the person message you is stupid but don’t worry about it. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    Tell them that there is the possibility of potential price drop but that it will not apply to them.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055

I'm all for a haggle but if something is more expensive than you can afford, why be dick about it?
    Don’t assume that they can’t afford it. Lots of rich people get that way because they begrudge paying the going rate for anything. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    edited July 2019
    munckee said:
    Name and shame. 
    No. Do not.

However, @imalrightjack - PM me the name. If they're a new member who's signed up specifically to tell you your prices are wrong, they can probably jog on.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10181
    Don’t worry. We’ve all had our run ins with lemons on the internet. It’s easiest and best to ignore. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    edited July 2019
    tony99 said:
    Tell them that there is the possibility of potential price drop but that it will not apply to them.
    Or do as one eBay seller did and state that every time he got a low offer the price would go up!

When guys aggressively make low offers and ridicule your price it's almost certain that they are looking to flip the item.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    edited July 2019
    Put something up on Gumtree, can be anything really, with a slightly higher than average price and state no offers / negotiations.  Loads of fun to be had there, especially if they turn up and try a bit go haggle.

Downside is they then know where you live.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Jimbro66 said:
    tony99 said:
    Or do as one eBay seller did and state that every time he got a low offer the price would go up.

That's the @Sporky approach!  :)

(Speaking of whom, hasn't he been very quiet lately?)

• Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761
    edited July 2019
    Nitefly said:
    That's the @Sporky approach! 

Not seen Sporky here since January.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4181
    edited July 2019
    There are some crazily optimistic prices on here but if they think they can get that then fair play I’d go elsewhere .
    what does get  me is that stuff I could buy for £20 or so more new and get free postage to boot , so I buy new 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    Probably a bedroom dealer who has to get the price down to make a profit. Ignore them.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Had my immaculate R9 for sale for 2700.

I got a message saying, nice guitar but way way overpriced. I'd be interested if you can drop the price to 2000.

Touve just got to laugh it off. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    Had my immaculate R9 for sale for 2700.

I got a message saying, nice guitar but way way overpriced. I'd be interested if you can drop the price to 2000.

well, how on earth am I expected to make a profit when I flip stuff if I pay full price for them? Honestly, some people are so thoughtless :(

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Nitefly said:
    That's the @Sporky approach! 

Not seen Sporky here since January.
    Nor @WezV for at least three months. Their workshop and guitar building contributions are very much missed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2040
    Makes a change from people asking if you want to trade your stuff for a shitty old pedal that they’ve overpaid for and are now struggling to shift. 
    Ouch that would be me then ... =)

I’m happy to listen to offers on my stuff and never get offended by that but there seems to be a trend (not just on the forum) where people will expect you to give top dollar on their item in a trade/px but you drop to your bottom price at the same time. Latest I have had is someone wanting me to give them full retail value on their second hand guitar plus drop my asking price by £500. I turned it down and had a similar experience as the OP where the guy had a strop and starting picking bizarre faults with the very guitar he is trying to buy.  
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Had my immaculate R9 for sale for 2700.

Must be quite annoying to get messages like that.

Doesn't come across as "I'd take it for 2000 if you don't sell it for more", it's more like they're trying to manipulate the seller by acting like they're the authority on value.
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2040
    The other one that amused me was the Fretboard member who bought a guitar from me via gumtree and was pleading poverty so I agreed to take a deposit and wait a few weeks till he had the £1900 we agreed on (Guitar was advertised at £2200). About a year later he offers me the same guitar back as a trade option for another one of my guitars and insists on it being valued at £2400 and he couldn’t go any lower. 
    14reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Remember to put this in your ad to avoid these people. (feel free to copy/paste into your own ads)

****** NO TIMEWASTERS ! NO TIMEWASTERS ******
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18686
    carlos said:
    Remember to put this in your ad to avoid these people. (feel free to copy/paste into your own ads)

****** NO TIMEWASTERS ! NO TIMEWASTERS ******
    I read that as ' I really love a challenge, go on make me an an offer'  =)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    I had my eye on a local ish guitar on the fretboard in Classifieds which said ‘Sorry No Trades’ only to find the last updated post was ‘Traded’ ......takes all sorts I suppose  :s
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom