How do Fylde guitars compare to Lowdens and Avalons?

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
I understand the bracing patterns are related

How would a Fylde compare to these?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    From the ones I've tried, the Lowdens and Avalons have sounded better.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    I'd agree as well. I've played a few Fylde guitars and they never really did anything for me, I'd say they were different to Lowden's in particular - they're a type of guitar that IMO are unique in voice.
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 222
    I've owned 3 or so of each.

For me, Lowden / Avalon every time.

Sonically they're pretty different (lots of overtones from Lowden, Fylde more fundamental and "woody", less string). Not at all similar IMHO.

Both have been around a long time but Fylde have had variable quality control over the decades - some I've played have been great, some have been complete dogs: An 80s Falstaff that I had would have made better wardrobe than guitar, it was so overbuilt. 

In contrast, Lowden / Avalon are extremely consistent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    thanks

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    I have to disagree... its been some years, but every Fylde I played was superb.

I went on to buy a couple of John Hullahs, who used to work for Fylde...

The old one were superb hand made guitars
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    Whilst I cannot comment on the guitars, I have played a few Fylde Bouzoukis and each has been exceptional.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    My Fylde Alchemist is just awesome, had it from new 15 years ago. I had an Orsini befor and that was great too ergo I’m a Fylde fan! It is sound is very detailed and rewarding, but would add it’s normally the feel given by the zero fret which puts people off. I’ve played Lowdens which are easier to play but never as rewarding as my Fylde.
    i’m thinking about retiring the Alchemist and the shopping list includes Lowden or Moon or a vintage slope shoulder country and western as soon as I get the owner drunk enough to sell it!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • youngscyoungsc Frets: 13
    Tone is always a subjective thing. I have a Fylde Orsino and an Alchemist and have played Martins, Lowdens and an Avalon. All are beautifully crafted guitars and each has a distinct tone. Of the variants I tried I’d say the Martins and Avalon were at the warmer end and the Fyldes and Lowden were brighter. They are also more distinct in string voicing so quite effective for fingerpicking styles. 
    Of course all these are specific to the guitar model and size so difficult to generalize. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    youngsc said:
    Tone is always a subjective thing. I have a Fylde Orsino and an Alchemist and have played Martins, Lowdens and an Avalon. All are beautifully crafted guitars and each has a distinct tone. Of the variants I tried I’d say the Martins and Avalon were at the warmer end and the Fyldes and Lowden were brighter. They are also more distinct in string voicing so quite effective for fingerpicking styles. 
    Of course all these are specific to the guitar model and size so difficult to generalize. 
    which Avalons do you mean? most of their models are very similar to the 15,000 Lowdens they built in their workshops when they were called the "Lowden guitar company" for 15 years
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/NI022341

• GTCGTC Frets: 261
    I've only can only speak from personal experience about Lowden and Avalon - but I've heard that there can be a considerable variability in quality and tone between similar Fylde guitars. I also understand that Fyldes incorporate a zero fret.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    A good Fylde can be a wondrous thing IMO. A certain Orsino still haunts me. I had a guitar once by an ex-Fylde maker and he said any Fylde with a serial below 500 tended to be spectacular. Look up Nic Jones (esp. Penguin Eggs, eg. Canadee-i-o) on YouTube... also Pete Townshend doing God Speaks Of Marty Robbins, I think that's an Ariel parlour.

I rather come and go on Lowdens. I tried a lot of the big O's years ago and many exhibited a big kick on the open D that rather annoyed me. My favourite ever was a medium-size rosewood/spruce F in a shop in NYC that really was killer. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 600
    I own a Lowden and have played about twenty or so. Played 3 Fylde guitars (I also own a Fylde mandolin and bouzouki, but I'll stick to guitars here). One of the Fyles - an Alexander I think - was/is absolutely exceptional, and the other two were very nice but not mindblowing. I only played one Lowden that I didn't find to be inspiring. I don't think they're hugely comparable in feel or sound to be honest, I feel like they both have their own niche.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom