Darwin award failure

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 71954
Nearly a worthwhile attempt, but not quite... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47516340

Wildlife World Zoo director Mickey Ollson said there was "no way to fix stupid".
Fixed that for him.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What an idiot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    While I agree that the woman was stupid given this had already happened before it seems pretty negligent for the zoo not to have created barriers that are more difficult to cross. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    Yeah, that’s pretty moronic.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    While I agree that the woman was stupid given this had already happened before it seems pretty negligent for the zoo not to have created barriers that are more difficult to cross. 
    That's like saying the council should put fencing up along cliff edges in case people fall off.
    If there's an apex predator somewhere, I don't need a sign telling me not to get close to it.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    260 selfie deaths in 6 years:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45745982
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748
    It’s lovely (I guess) that the stupid woman survived, but how is the cat??
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71954
    Thankfully, sense has prevailed for once and the animal will not be punished.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    ICBM said:
    Thankfully, sense has prevailed for once and the animal will not be punished.
    Exactly. The animal was just doing what instinct told it to do, it bears no responsibility at all. It reminds me of the scorpion and the frog
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    The barriers are ample, the creatures not managed to get anyone who hasnt crossed them. 

The only negligence is that of the dickhead who knowingly entered a zoo where dangerous animals are kept, and expected anything less than death or injury when crossing the barriers into an animals domain.  

Education is the only fix for stupidity. 
    She got educated. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    skunkwerx said:
    The barriers are ample, the creatures not managed to get anyone who hasnt crossed them. 

The only negligence is that of the dickhead who knowingly entered a zoo where dangerous animals are kept, and expected anything less than death or injury when crossing the barriers into an animals domain.  

Education is the only fix for stupidity. 
    She got educated. 

Indeed, once bitten, twice shy. She won’t be doing that again.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    fandango said:

Indeed, once bitten, twice shy. She won’t be doing that again.
    Yes she will. Maybe not dangerously close to a ferocious wild animal enclosure but stupid does what stupid does. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    “The zoo said in a tweet that it was sending prayers to the woman's family.”

That’s all right then.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71954
    fandango said:

Indeed, once bitten, twice shy.
    Not bitten . The fact that she wasn't proves that the zoo's precautions were adequate, because the Jaguar couldn't get, or even its head, through the cage mesh. If she hadn't got within the cat's arm reach of the cage nothing bad could have happened.

"Please God preserve us from fools, and let them not have ambulance-chasing lawyers who will waste our time and money fighting a case which would never have happened if they'd had any common sense."

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited July 2019

That’s all right then.
    Just when we're thinking the woman was the only stupid one...... lol 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    I'm sure the big cat was just trying to get her closer so the two of them would be properly in frame for the picture. Thoughtful animals, jaguars.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Sassafras said:
    That link lead me down a 'tall-chimney-selfie' wormhole and then this in 3D

....all I can say is fuck doing that shit!

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    No. If you are stupid enough to cross barriers at a zoo then you deserve everything that comes your way.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    No. If you are stupid enough to cross barriers at a zoo then you deserve everything that comes your way.

Its not an either / or decision. Yes its stupid but a zoo gets visited by hundreds of thousands of stupid people every year so it makes sense for them to take sensible precautions. Part of their burden of responsibility is to prevent stupid people getting eaten by jaguars. 

Every zoo I've visited has barriers around big cats that are not trivially climb-able. 

I hesitated to throw this in there but children are very good climbers and not always the most sensible, but I guess we should blame the parents if that happens instead of taking simple precautions that could prevent injury? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    Hopefully the poor thing won’t be scarred for life.....

which is more than more than we can say for the lady in question
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Maybe if they fed the poor thing once in a while instead of relying on the suicidally stupid to keep it going.
    Not that I've got anything against feeding morons to dangerous animals.