Cars you miss

What's Hot

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    viz said:
    My old Ford Banana. 

http://i.imgur.com/1DEqiq8.jpg
    From the bumpers that looks to be quite an old Mk1 Fiesta? You just don't see unsecured, low hanging exhausts like that anymore  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    Gassage said:
    VW Corrado VR6.

I had 3 of them over the years. Dragon Green, Maroon and a Blue 'Storm' edition.
    Now you're talking. I had a Corrado VR6 that replaced a Scirocco GTX Storm. The Corrado (Dragon Green) was a brilliant car to drive. Unfortunately short-lived in my ownership, allegedly due to needing something 'practical' to run the brats kids around in.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Deadman said:
    Ford Capri 1.3L in rosso red SPT 836V 
    and
    XR3 in sunburst red FIW 7991

I wouldn't own a Ford now though, I just don't like them.
    I decided I'd never have another Ford in the 90s; every one I owned had some sort of issue which couldn't be fixed and the dealer garages just tried to fob you off. The company lost my custom because they acted like arses.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1207
    I had a red 1976 Vauxhall Cavalier when I was 19. It had a sun roof that was just a piece of tinted glass that could be raised up by about 2 inches at the back. It used to leak a bit if it rained heavily but only on the passenger side so it didn't matter. I loved that car. It was positively sporty compared to my dad's Skoda Estelle that I learned to drive in.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    edited July 2019
    viz said:
    My old Ford Banana. 

@Emp_Fab is on the lookout for a black, blue, white, grey, pink, red, orange, purple, green, yellow car.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    SNAKEBITE said:
    celentium said:
    Do those of you who have put serious money into cars over the years ever regret it?

No.

I spent an absolute fortune on my old Sierra, but it was fun doing it and I learned a whole lot of stuff that has helped me out over the years.

Sounds like that was worth the investment, but I'm specifically referring to people that have been smashed by depreciation over the years.

I can afford to buy relatively nice cars, but I'm wondering if I'll regret the tens of thousands of pounds in depreciation in 20 years or so.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    Alfasud 1.2ti
    Porsche 964RS
    Porsche 996 GT3

the 964 bought for £30k, sold for £20k when no-one wanted them, just sold for £150k
    we live and learn
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5594
    celentium said:
    SNAKEBITE said:
    celentium said:
    Do those of you who have put serious money into cars over the years ever regret it?

No.

I spent an absolute fortune on my old Sierra, but it was fun doing it and I learned a whole lot of stuff that has helped me out over the years.

Sounds like that was worth the investment, but I'm specifically referring to people that have been smashed by depreciation over the years.

I can afford to buy relatively nice cars, but I'm wondering if I'll regret the tens of thousands of pounds in depreciation in 20 years or so.
    Depreciation has never worried me at all. Probably because I’ve never spent more than about £4K on buying a car, ever. I’ve still had some ‘nice’ cars for that but I’ve never needed to own new or nearly new vehicles. 

I’ve also only ever sold one car in worse condition than when I bought it. That was a Citroen piece of scrap on which I lost quite a lot of money but I just wanted to see it gone. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    edited July 2019
    rlw said:
    Alfasud 1.2ti
    Porsche 964RS
    Porsche 996 GT3

the 964 bought for £30k, sold for £20k when no-one wanted them, just sold for £150k
    we live and learn
    Been there too...

The Car I miss the most is my '83 911 Carrera - ended up selling it for under 10k about 5 years ago - they are now pushing 30k for a half decent example - mine was completely restored, engine rebuild etc etc...depressing...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2099
    A Series 3 Land Rover which would do an eye-watering 46mph downhill. I had ridiculous amounts of fun with it.. Either that or a 1972 VW Beetle... I had tons of fun with that too. It was also possible to fix them with normal tools.
    welshboyo said:
    rlw said:
    Alfasud 1.2ti
    Porsche 964RS
    Porsche 996 GT3

we live and learn
    Been there too...

The Car I miss the most is my '83 911 Carrera - ended up selling it for under 10k about 5 years ago - they are now pushing 30k for a half decent example - mine was completely restored, engine rebuild etc etc...depressing...
    Never sell a 911 seems to be the sensible thing
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    My 1.9GTi. Identical to this...

peugeot-205-gti-vgarageclassics

• BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 227
    boogieman said:
    I’ve had a few decent cars that I miss. The Jag XF we’ve not long got rid of was lovely...quick, extremely comfortable, well equipped and very economical considering how big a car it was. The reliability was the biggest issue though. I had a Rover P6 V8 that was nice too but 14mpg around town was the killer. Funnily enough the one I miss the most was an old geezer’s car: an early 80s Audi 100 saloon in metallic gold, with a brown draylon interior. It was fairly quick but it was actually more about the ride, it was just so comfortable, like wafting along in a giant overstuffed armchair. Shame the brakes packed up at 50mph one day  o
    We had a gold Audi 100 too! Loved it for the same reasons you did!
    Ours was the kinda pink hued gold, brown interior. 
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 227
    edited July 2019
    My favourite car was my Celica that I had as my first car. I adored it and thought I was the dogs bollox driving it! I still view it with huge affection. Was a time in life when I was full of hope. Had some very good times in it! (I think you get my meaning), went great places in it. It’s memory is attached to some special people too. Yep I loved it !! 

https://imgur.com/gallery/X3yTrgE

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    Nissan 350z for me. Bit of a brute but lovely thing to drive.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8774
    Fiat Barchetta. 2 seat convertible, left hand drive. So pretty, firecracker engine and so much fun...

Had to give it up when the kids came along.

Now, 18 years on: son about to depart for uni., I just went full circle and scored a Fiat 124 Spider. 2 seats, convertible, pretty, and right hand drive :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Dominic said:
    I had the first Mercedes C 2.3 Cosworth 16v to come to the UK ......it was a great car at the time
    I also miss a white 1973 911 RS but mainly because I sold it in the 80s  and they now fetch £450 k
    Even the the RSs were going up.  Foolish boy.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    JerkMoans said:
    Fiat Barchetta. 2 seat convertible, left hand drive. So pretty, firecracker engine and so much fun...

Had to give it up when the kids came along.

Now, 18 years on: son about to depart for uni., I just went full circle and scored a Fiat 124 Spider. 2 seats, convertible, pretty, and right hand drive
    My neighbour has one of those. A really good looking car and apparently fun to drive. I think Fiat stopped bringing them to the UK a few months ago so they may well become a desirable classic  -  if they last.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    Peugeot 205GTi 1.6. Red. Got me into a lot of ‘enjoyable’ trouble in my youth.... My first proper quick car and never crashed it. Stupidly traded for a Rover 216. To quote @SteveRobinson - no picnics have been had in the backseats since!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • Have liked most of my cars & vans. Think the one I miss most in a way is one I didn't have very long. A 10 year old Volvo XC 70 with the D5 engine. That engine is brilliant, it's strange that Volvo engines don't seem to be considered that hot, but I think the older Focus ST's had the T5 engine. I think I jumped at the particular XC70 I had too soon as it was a manual & they are rarer, but it had the beige & plastic wood interior rather than the black & ali type & I really didn't like that. Every single thing worked on it though, like the heated electrically adjustable seats. I'd expect things like that to be long gone in a car that age. There was also no bodywork rust at all. I decided I had to get rid of it because I thought it used too much fuel (also the DPF). I got a Suzuki with the Fiat engine to replace it, that was much smaller & used more! Volvos are the business.

Also sort of wish I still had my grandfather's MG Magnette ZA. I Don't think he got a car till he was middle aged & still had that up to about 1970. That was class, much preferred it to the Farina ones that came after. I imagine it was destroyed in banger racing like most of the others. Though I think they have a bit of a following as classics.