Dare I ask for car advice

What's Hot
ewalewal Frets: 2558
Yeah I know itheres another well worn thread but I'm having my own car procrastination moment... I've got a 2010 Ceed estate that I'm looking to replace. I'm looking for another auto estate. I've found another Ceed estate which ticks the boxes - 2018 reg, 11k miles at £12.5k. Seems well priced, Kia approved, etc.

So why am I still looking? Part of wants to try something else and part of wants to look for longer so I can be sure this is the right deal. My wife's friend is a local car salesman and he has suggested an Auris hybrid which is interesting, but it's a bit more expensive, it's a 2016 and much higher miles - 47k.

I should really just accept the Ceed is as good as I'll get for that sort of money shouldn't I?
The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11811
    It’s hard to beat a 2018 plate car for £12k to be honest.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Year old car with 12k on it will be an rental car.

Just make sure you check it well.
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    I’d get a green Veloster if I were you.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    edited July 2019
    DanR said:

It's got 6 years warranty left though should any issues arise.

I'd take it for a test drive and have a good look at it, but you're unlikely to find a more practical car with a long warranty for £12k.

The only other car I'd look at if I were you is a Kia Optima if you're prepared to increase the budget a bit and accept a 2017 car. They're substantially nicer inside than the Ceed in my opinion, and the boot is cavernous while still offering very good back seat legroom (much better than the Ceed)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Just buy an older 6 cylinder BMW. Everything else is just hog wash.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    edited July 2019
    DanR said:

Not at all, I cover 12k 15k regularly each year, that’s why I have gone Hybrid
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    There's a couple of Optimas at the dealer witg the Ceed. Look ideal, but £16k, a big step up.

I think these will be ex-rental cars - most 1 year old cars on sale will be.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    edited July 2019
    If the hatchback model is anything to go by then the Skoda Octavia Estate will have masses of bootspace in the back.

Yeah. The Octavia's on my short-list alongside the Ceed. Alot of similarities - good value, reliable, well built, decent load space.

They don't have a 7 year warranty though, and I haven't found an actual deal for an Octavia as good as the Ceed one.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    sweepy said:
    DanR said:

And did you trade it in after a year of ownership from new?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11811
    I think the Octavia is a better built, more solid car with better materials to the touch.  My friend has a VRS and its pretty nice.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    Had an Auris estate as a hire car for a month and it was woeful. My nephew bought an Octavia Auto estate last year and later discovered the gearbox was knackered apparently a known issue with the Autobox. 
    I'd stick with the Ceed at that price.Its a decent car and that 6 year warranty gives you piece of mind.
    bobblehat said:
    Had an Auris estate as a hire car for a month and it was woeful. My nephew bought an Octavia Auto estate last year and later discovered the gearbox was knackered apparently a known issue with the Autobox. 
    I'd stick with the Ceed at that price.Its a decent car and that 6 year warranty gives you piece of mind.
    Interesting - I did see one review of the Auris hybrid that said the CVT gearbox was noisy especially when going up hills etc. Was that your problem with it? If so, I reckon I'd steer clear, the 7 speed DCT box in the Ceed is likely to be a lot more relaxed when pushed.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    DanR said:

I found this with the nearly new stuff. The ex-rentals were probably mechanically ok but were cosmetically scruffy. If it worries you, the previous name on the registration gives it away - ERAC Holdings = Enterprise Rent a Car etc.  Google for a full list. 

In the end I found a dealer demo at 9 months old for a similar price and went with that. 

If you've got the warranty you should be good. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    edited July 2019
    Test driven a couple of CVT Toyotas - both were ridiculously noisy under acceleration and neither was particularly pleasant to drive.

On holiday recently I rented a Kia Sportage auto which I was very impressed with - car felt sturdy, autobox was unobtrusive and worked well, and car was surprisingly comfortable. Right now, if I had to choose between Toyota or Kia, I'd definitely pick the Kia.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    DanR said:
    sweepy said:
    DanR said:

And did you trade it in after a year of ownership from new?
    No, it's my wife's motability car, you need the extra mileage allowance for Hospital visits etc, handy as it feels as though I spend all my days off at the Oxford Oncology Dept
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    ewal said:
    bobblehat said:
    Interesting - I did see one review of the Auris hybrid that said the CVT gearbox was noisy especially when going up hills etc. Was that your problem with it? If so, I reckon I'd steer clear, the 7 speed DCT box in the Ceed is likely to be a lot more relaxed when pushed.
    Yes , the CVT was noisy. I've also had a Sportage for a few weeks and the auto was fine.
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Might have been a demonstrator, or maybe the previous owner has a job that required a decent amount of driving. 

Selling a car after a year, with high mileage doesn’t automatically mean that it’s been thrashed or abused by a car rental firm. I’m currently selling a year old car which I’ve had from new with 20k miles on it. Some people just do a decent amount of miles, and decide they want something different. 
    I reckon these cars are ex-fleet though - there was another one year old Ceed estate at the same dealership with similar miles. Suspect the Optimas also come from the same source. You tend to see this when you're keeping an eye on the market - particular makes and models appear in batches. There wasn't any Hyundai's a couple of weeks ago, and now there's a few i40s and i30s kicking about. Suppose it's more noticeable up here because it's a smaller market.

I'm not particularly bothered about buying an ex-rental or fleet car - it doesn't automatically mean it's been thrashed. I've never thrashed any rental cars I've had, too feart of surcharges when I take them back! Also if a car's been abused, then there will be signs to look out for.
    Reckon I'll contact the dealer to get the numbers, then make a final decision on viewing this weekend. Assuming it's still available!