Sold an amp to a real old rocker

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12257
Sold my Blackstar amp a few weeks ago to a bidder from Wales, collection only, anyway he turns up and it’s a guy I guess late 60s and he looks every inch the old rocker even at 9.30 in the morning togged up like the real deal almost as if he should have had a fan blowing his hair about and a guitar in his hand, anyway he was a lovely bloke, had a quick brew and a fiddle with the amp with my SG. Then I help him to his car to see a souped up hot rod with BUDGIE emablazoned across it, purple leather interior and fluffy cushions. I said “oh you like Budgie” he said “I should do, I’m in the band”
"OUR TOSSPOT"
9reaction image LOL 22reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StefBStefB Frets: 2331
    You should do a Tweet about this really.
    25reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Sold my Blackstar amp a few weeks ago to a bidder from Wales, collection only, anyway he turns up and it’s a guy I guess late 60s and he looks every inch the old rocker even at 9.30 in the morning togged up like the real deal almost as if he should have had a fan blowing his hair about and a guitar in his hand, anyway he was a lovely bloke, had a quick brew and a fiddle with the amp with my SG. Then I help him to his car to see a souped up hot rod with BUDGIE emablazoned across it, purple leather interior and fluffy cushions. I said “oh you like Budgie” he said “I should do, I’m in the band”
    Class !!  Budgie are great!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Nice one!

Though we all look like that in Wales to be fair.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    It's a shit business.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    Was it going cheep?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    I'm Trilled for you!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    Fantastic! I wonder who it was?

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Fantastic! I wonder who it was?

R.
     Probably the Drummer banged his head on his mirror
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I got excited for a bit - thought you were going to say he was Budgie from the Banshees/Creatures.  Still cool though.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    Did he use a Pollytune to tune your guitar? 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    When I was a teenager, we all (local bands, that is) used to rehearse in a nearby hall in Cogan (just outside Penarth) called, rather imaginatively, Cogan Hall. We even had access to a lock up and Jim the caretaker would bring the key and unlock for us every time. He'd always be there at the end to lock up too. Great bloke, a bit grumpy but he actually had a great sense of humour if your caught him right. 

Anyway, I digress. On the other side of the stage from our storage place was a deeply locked room that remained a bit of a mystery. Micky Gee told me that it was Budgie's storage place and we never found out for sure as we never saw them coming or going, despite spending quite a bit of time going in and out of the hall. 

One day we turned up for a rehearsal and someone had left the mystery door unlocked and it was crammed-full of Budgie's amps, cabs, drums etc. Superb stash of great looking amps etc. I almost (I did say almost) peed my pants. This was back in 1976/77. 

Funnily enough, I never met them or heard them play live. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited July 2019
     Cool story indeed. :)
     Budgie were great. Bandolier is one of my all time favourite albums and was easily one of the best pure-rock albums of the late 70s with a recording quality way ahead of the competition at that time. Plus Tony Bourge was a riff monster.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • merlin said:
    When I was a teenager, we all (local bands, that is) used to rehearse in a nearby hall in Cogan (just outside Penarth) called, rather imaginatively, Cogan Hall. We even had access to a lock up and Jim the caretaker would bring the key and unlock for us every time. He'd always be there at the end to lock up too. Great bloke, a bit grumpy but he actually had a great sense of humour if your caught him right. 

Anyway, I digress. On the other side of the stage from our storage place was a deeply locked room that remained a bit of a mystery. Micky Gee told me that it was Budgie's storage place and we never found out for sure as we never saw them coming or going, despite spending quite a bit of time going in and out of the hall. 

One day we turned up for a rehearsal and someone had left the mystery door unlocked and it was crammed-full of Budgie's amps, cabs, drums etc. Superb stash of great looking amps etc. I almost (I did say almost) peed my pants. This was back in 1976/77. 

You knew Mickey Gee?!?!? 
    Respect!
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    equalsql said:

Budgie were are great. 
    Fixed that for you.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Isn't / wasn't the son of the guitarist from Budgie on here? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    this thread is for the birds
  • Bet he didnt play a Catana
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 533
    merlin said:

Not tempted to smuggle anything away?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    edited July 2019

You knew Mickey Gee?!?!? 
    Respect!
    Yes I did. I played a few rock'n'roll gigs with him, me on tenor sax, which was my main instrument at the time.

He was a top player and a sweet guy. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlin said:

You knew Mickey Gee?!?!? 
    Respect!
    Yes I did. I played a few rock'n'roll gigs with him, me on tenor sax, which was my main instrument at the time.

He was a top player and a sweet guy. 

Yes... fantastic player.
    Only saw him once - in later life when his health was failing (strangely enough it was in a pub in Coggan). Really friendly guy and, when I asked him about his custom made Tele, he handed it to me and said "Here... try it out."