Dare I ask for car advice

What's Hot

Comments

• SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    Bought a 2018 Peugeot 2008 for under £11k. Not an estate but might be a different option for you to consider.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    As per my comments in the "other" thread - Approved used all the way for me - OK, you might pay a little bit of a premium for it, but you have the comfort of brand reputation etc to help you out if there was a problem.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5596
    Zoolooter said:
    Just buy an older 6 cylinder BMW. Everything else is just hog wash.

^ This!  The auto gearboxes are awesome and when you wind that straight six up it'll make you grin ear to ear.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• ewalewal Frets: 2558
    Sesh said:
    Bought a 2018 Peugeot 2008 for under £11k. Not an estate but might be a different option for you to consider.
    My wife says we shouldn't get a French car because of a bad experience we had with a Grand Scenic. I know that's unfair and unscientific, but I daren't ignore this 'rule'. If we bought a French car then things went wrong - I'd have to bear the burden of responsibility!
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Our contracts with the rental car companies are they must come back at a year old and under certain mileage typically 15k.

Thats the generally agreed terms with 90% of manufacturers.

Cars are graded then sold to dealers and we tidy them up so look passable and sell them on for a fair bit cheaper than demos or manufacturer approved cars.

If it is ex multi user it needs to be stated on the advert or they must tell you before you buy it.

If not you can just return it for your money back.

When I worked at Kia our warranty wasn’t that great and you must be able to prove Kia parts through its entire life and not miss anything.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5596
    edited July 2019
    ewal said:
    Sesh said:
    My wife says we shouldn't get a French car because of a bad experience we had with a Grand Scenic. I know that's unfair and unscientific, but I daren't ignore this 'rule'. If we bought a French car then things went wrong - I'd have to bear the burden of responsibility!

Unfortunately I have nothing good to say about French cars.  I've had a couple, as has my sister, and we've both had stupid faults with them that no other car has ever suffered with.  After fixing her Megane last time (I was fixing it a lot) and then after my Citroen packed up in spectacular fashion I swore I'd never touch another French car again!

I know many more people will have nothing but good things to say about French cars but IME they are built to a price and for a short lifecycle. EDIT: They are built to be bought new and replaced when the warranty runs out.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

Re Kia warranty - we found it quite good with this car. Can't remember exact details of when we used it, but definitely once with an electric window failure which was fixed with no questions asked.
    Re no French car rule - it's only based on limited anecdotal experience - but it at least helps the short-listing process.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I’m the 7 years I sold Renault I had less issues with cars than 2 years of selling Kia.
    And that's why the rule is unfair - personal experience tends to overly influence decisions. My wife's remembering the Grand Scenic timing belt going just before our holiday trip which meant we ended up scrambling about to rent a car, change ferry bookings etc. These memories run deep!
    Haych said:
    Zoolooter said:

^ This!  The auto gearboxes are awesome and when you wind that straight six up it'll make you grin ear to ear.
    Couldn't agree more!! My MSport 535d with the Sport Auto is an absolute beast of a car - makes a decent noise for a diesel too.

Off Piste for this thread I know - sorry!!
  • DanR said:

When I worked at Kia our warranty wasn’t that great and you must be able to prove Kia parts through its entire life and not miss anything.
    I posted on the “other” car thread.  Wife’s 6.5 yr old Sorento has just had £3k of repairs completed under warranty , part Kia service and part independent. No questions asked beyond proof of servicing (has invoices for independent).  

Of course there are better cars then Kia’s but the warranty is unbeatable if you want peace of mind. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Buy authentic 
    whatever that means in the car market ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ewal said:
    And that's why the rule is unfair - personal experience tends to overly influence decisions. My wife's remembering the Grand Scenic timing belt going just before our holiday trip which meant we ended up scrambling about to rent a car, change ferry bookings etc. These memories run deep!
    And then there was the electronic parking brake replacement, the consistently expensive bills at MOT time, suspension arms going and the coolant system issues that led us to get rid of the car because we couldn't be certain if it was a cylinder head issue. This was after having a Rover 420 which we did go through the pain of a cracked cylinder head and an issue with the fuel system which left us stranded on the A9 with the kids beside the road. Took weeks to get that fixed...

In contrast, the Ceed has been very straightforward - brake pads and discs mainly, plus standard servicing.

Probably just cursed whatever car I buy next!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    edited July 2019

ONLY ME!!

You don’t wanna listen to this lot, you wanna get yourself a nice lime green Veloster, that’s what you wanna do!

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 228
    After a few Audi A6 estates I have downsized and drive a mini clubman. I can get everything in the boot for gigs and its great fun to drive. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    welshboyo said:
    Haych said:
    Zoolooter said:

Couldn't agree more!! My MSport 535d with the Sport Auto is an absolute beast of a car - makes a decent noise for a diesel too.

The Z8 auto is found in a lot of cars outside BMW, you don’t specifically have to get a BMW to enjoy that particular engine. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71962
    I'm all for the No French Cars rule - if a lot of people use it, it means that I'll be able to buy another well-designed, reliable car for a fraction of the new price when I next need to replace mine... although that might not be for some time, since I had the last one for nine years - and probably still would have if some twit hadn't driven into the side of it. (Though it has to be said that the new one is nicer.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    welshboyo said:
    Haych said:
    Zoolooter said:

The Z8 auto is found in a lot of cars outside BMW, you don’t specifically have to get a BMW to enjoy that particular engine. 
    It’s actually a ZF8 and it’s a transmission not an engine...so much for your car knowledge...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    welshboyo said:
    welshboyo said:
    Haych said:
    Zoolooter said:

It’s actually a ZF8 and it’s a transmission not an engine...so much for your car knowledge...
    Miaow!!! Hit him with your handbag! Show that tart a lesson.
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom