What's Hot

Comments

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    Simon_M said:
    welshboyo said:
    welshboyo said:
    Haych said:
    Zoolooter said:
    Just buy an older 6 cylinder BMW. Everything else is just hog wash.

^ This!  The auto gearboxes are awesome and when you wind that straight six up it'll make you grin ear to ear.
    Couldn't agree more!! My MSport 535d with the Sport Auto is an absolute beast of a car - makes a decent noise for a diesel too.

Off Piste for this thread I know - sorry!!
    The Z8 auto is found in a lot of cars outside BMW, you don’t specifically have to get a BMW to enjoy that particular engine. 
    It’s actually a ZF8 and it’s a transmission not an engine...so much for your car knowledge...
    Miaow!!! Hit him with your handbag! Show that tart a lesson.
    I’m sure he understands the tongue in cheek tone...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Have you had a look at the Subaru legacy estates or the jaguar xf sportbrakes? Both very different too each other but both great cars.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    Happy to oblige @icbm;) Maybe I'll relax the rule in another couple of cars time when the memories of that Grand Scenic are properly out the system! Yeah I know we shouldn't pass judgement on the French car industry because of one bad car. I did start to consider the 308 SW, but was over-ruled.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    Oh and BMW's are off limits too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    ewal said:
    Well, the indicators are always failing...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5594
    ewal said:
    Ach, too bad. I love mine. The other estate car that seems a good all rounder is the Volvo V70 - you need a pipe and possibly an old Labrador to own one but incredibly practical and comfortable and built very well. Lots of them about so pretty good value. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

The V70 looks nice but I'd have to accept older and higher miles to get one in my price range. Also I've only got cats and neither of them are good travellers;)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11799
    ewal said:
    The V70 looks nice but I'd have to accept older and higher miles to get one in my price range. Also I've only got cats and neither of them are good travellers;)
    And do the cats like Volvos?
    Viewing list for the weekend - Ceed, i40, Golf and Yeti (summat different like)... Ceed is the clear front-runner on paper. Which will probably make half the forum recoil in horror... But that's cars for ya - almost as strong opinions abound as there are for guitars!
  • AdiAdi Frets: 331
    Just get a Porsche Cayenne , I got one recently from my local Porsche Centre here in Edinburgh and I have to say,  the buying experience was second to none, they literally kiss your arse at every stage lol. On a serious note , Kia seems like a reasonable option. If it comes to the mentioned Toyota Auris, it's a great car but CVT gearboxes are a bit noisy. The reliability is great though, Toyota hybrids are pretty much bulletproof. 
    One of the few consensus areas on this forum when it comes to cars, is the noisiness of the CVT gearbox.

Almost tempted to go and test drive it and see just how annoying it is!
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1172
    I drive a Lexus RX hybrid with a CVT transmission.  Very, very smooth with no gear changes, just a smooth progression of ratios.  The transmission itself isn't noisy at all, the noise comes from the engine revs when you ask for some oomph going up a steep hill.  Not a frequent occurrence so it doesn't bother me.
    Best analogy I can give you is a jet on the runway about to take off, the pilot opens the throttle and the jet engines roar, he then releases the brakes and the plane hurtles forward.  As the momentum increases, the revs (and noise) decrease to the point where the vehicle speed and engine revs are in harmony.
    My words are no substitute for a test drive.  I think most people's criticism of CVT stems from their unfamiliarity.  Go try it.

Might do so. Although one review suggested the issue with the Auris Vs Lexus is the smaller engine. Think sewing machine, not jet!

But as you say, a test drive is the only way to find out. Forum chat and YouTube reviews can only get you so far.
    The principle is the same, but I accept that a smaller engine will probably have to go into higher revs mode more frequently.
    Car reviewers are always thinking about thrashing it around the Nurburgring rather than doing the daily commute and going to the shops, which is what most of us do.
    Yeah reckon so. Even living in this part of the world, I rarely drive anything challenging gradient wise. About 90% of my miles are round town or average speed camera limited cruises to Glasgow. Only time I might notice it are on camping trips - about twice a year...

Ach, I'll add the Auris to the list... It's the most local anyway.
    Yes, the CVT won't trouble you much at all.
    Ha, just looked at your location.....I lived in Callander for six years, my daughter was born there.  Should I have said stayed in Callander ?
    Callander is lovely. A guy at work commutes from there to Perth, and the bass player in my Glasgow band stays there. Only downside is that it's really popular as a Sunday drive destination for loads of people in the central belt... And as coach trip stop off too. So the main street is hoaching most weekends!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    ewal said:
    Callander is lovely. A guy at work commutes from there to Perth, and the bass player in my Glasgow band stays there. Only downside is that it's really popular as a Sunday drive destination for loads of people in the central belt... And as coach trip stop off too. So the main street is hoaching most weekends!
    You aren't kidding. If you're planning a journey that involves going through Callander at the weekend, allow about an extra 15 mins just to get from one end to the other...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Aberfoyle, Callander, Pitlochry - loved by all for a weekend stop off... Personally I prefer them mid-winter when the day trippers are nowhere to be seen...
    Yes, loved my time in Callander.  Sorry to divert the thread a little.  Now, go try a CVT !