Need an energy efficient linear halogen replacement

We turned on our lamp and the smart meter terrified us - we're used to LEDs and this shot up! 150 Watts! Not even ridiculously bright, but a lovely warm glow.

I've found very expensive Philips replacements but at 22 quid (I think this is it... https://www.screwfix.com/p/philips-r7s-linear-led-light-bulb-1500lm-14w-118mm/3307p) it's very expensive! I don't mind paying more for the robustness and the fact it's that much less likely to set fire to a curtain (honestly, the lamp gets bloody warm) but I wouldn't mind knocking a few quid off that... Any experience? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    We turned on our lamp and the smart meter terrified us - we're used to LEDs and this shot up! 150 Watts! Not even ridiculously bright, but a lovely warm glow.

I've found very expensive Philips replacements but at 22 quid (I think this is it... https://www.screwfix.com/p/philips-r7s-linear-led-light-bulb-1500lm-14w-118mm/3307p) it's very expensive! I don't mind paying more for the robustness and the fact it's that much less likely to set fire to a curtain (honestly, the lamp gets bloody warm) but I wouldn't mind knocking a few quid off that... Any experience? 
    If you’re using Screwfix, the LAP brand (their own brand) is pretty good. Haven’t had problems with their led lamps. They’re moving towards having everything own brand labelled as Diall which is to unify across the whole company (Kingfisher group) however it is worth considering that Diall isn’t necessarily the same as LAP and I haven’t got the same experience with those.

150watts is a lot of energy for lighting these days. 
    150watts sounds like a flood light. Have you thought about just buying an led flood light?
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    If it’s out outside flood just stick a new one in...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-led-pir-floodlight-black-10w-daylight/767cc

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    If it’s out outside flood just stick a new one in...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-led-pir-floodlight-black-10w-daylight/767cc
    This. 
  • Simon_M said:
    150watts sounds like a flood light. Have you thought about just buying an led flood light?

It's a living room lamp - ceiling facing thing. Provides a lot of light so wouldn't be against a slightly less bright lights... 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Simon_M said:

If you’re using Screwfix, the LAP brand (their own brand) is pretty good. Haven’t had problems with their led lamps. They’re moving towards having everything own brand labelled as Diall which is to unify across the whole company (Kingfisher group) however it is worth considering that Diall isn’t necessarily the same as LAP and I haven’t got the same experience with those.

The sparky who did the lights and sockets in our kitchen extension reckoned LAP stuff was generally crap and he wouldn’t fit any of it. I know it’s designed down to a price, for instance I tried their GU10 bulbs once but found they buzzed like a wasps nest if you tried to dim them. I took them back and switched to Phillips which were fine. No idea if the Diall replacements are any better, but somehow I doubt it. You pays your money and takes your choice I guess. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    When you’ve got used to the power ratings of LED, the amount incandescents use seems insane, and yet that was entirely normal until only a few years ago.

I’ve also had a bit of trouble with the LAP GU10s, but their other ones have been fine. I’ve got a right mixture of brands and types though, just whatever seems most suitable for the particular fitting rather than any brand loyalty.

The biggest is a 13W Philips which replaced a 100W incandescent in a single-bulb fitting in the kitchen, and is actually brighter - not far off what an old 150 would have been. It wasn’t cheap, but I’m sure it’s more than paid for itself. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

edited July 2019
    boogieman said:
    Simon_M said:

The sparky who did the lights and sockets in our kitchen extension reckoned LAP stuff was generally crap and he wouldn’t fit any of it. I know it’s designed down to a price, for instance I tried their GU10 bulbs once but found they buzzed like a wasps nest if you tried to dim them. I took them back and switched to Phillips which were fine. No idea if the Diall replacements are any better, but somehow I doubt it. You pays your money and takes your choice I guess. 
    It depends what product you are buying specifically. A lot of LAP stuff is made by British General who are well respected for electrical equipment and screwfix policy for exchanging stuff is good. Some stuff is garbage but then some of the better know manufacturers make garbage too. I’ve not had a problem with LAP stuff but all tradesmen will have their preferences.
  • Balls. Ordered a 78mm instead of a 118mm.

Bleh. Back to screw fix tomorrow. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Simon_M said:
    boogieman said:
    Simon_M said:

It depends what product you are buying specifically. A lot of LAP stuff is made by British General who are well respected for electrical equipment and screwfix policy for exchanging stuff is good. Some stuff is garbage but then some of the better know manufacturers make garbage too. I’ve not had a problem with LAP stuff but all tradesmen will have their preferences.
    Aye, I have used some LAP stuff myself in my workshop. It’s ok, but you can see where they’ve cut corners. Their light switches are made of very thin plastic for instance and they crack easily if you over tighten the fixing screws, but then they work out at about 50p each so that’s maybe not a surprise.